goggles for training..

SoulScars

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys, i tried posting in the g&e forum but didnt get a reply,so my question is does anyone use any form of goggles for training?
i've gotten a detached retina from boxing, and so i cant spar anymore and decided i might as well focus on grappling.. but still accidents can happen, so im wondering if anyone can recommend me anything that might help out?
i searched online and sherdog, so far came up with rec specs, this squash eye gear (Squash Eye Glasses & Goggles (Protective Safety Eyewear) - squash & racketball / racquetball) and this (Pyramex V2g High-Impact Goggles, Atv, Pyramex at Sportsman's Guide) ..

does anyone know of anyone else that wrestles/does bjj with protective glasses? what do they use?

thanks!

Man that really sucks. I dont think raquetball glasses would work (I've played racquetball for a couple years and I just don't think they would stay on during grappling).

Maybe some sort of bandage that could cover one of your eyes would work?

hmm bandage wouldnt help at all. im worried about someone accidentally brushing my eye or putting pressure on it.. or sometimes you get new guys that spazz and try to grind you with their elbows and stuff, my friend saw a wrestler who took part in a bjj competition grind someones eye with his elbow because he took him down and stayed there, not knowing what to do next.. thankfully that guy got submitted in the end, but i cant really risk getting hit in the eye again, hahah, if not i'd just continue with my boxing too.. lol.

i can't really think of any, would be hard to keep them on/not cut yourself or your opponent with the edges imo.

In grappling, you use your head like another arm/lever so I don't see goggles being really feasible.

Maybe you could use those goggles that swimmers use. Those look like they're pretty tight and won't fall off.

J381.jpg

if you're worried about the buckles...

J278.jpg

In grappling, you use your head like another arm/lever so I don't see goggles being really feasible.

But you don't have to use your head like another arm or lever. Grappling and BJJ are infinitely malleable. People compete at high levels with all sorts of physical limitations.

I wouldn't use swim goggles, as earlier suggested, but why not use some low-profile racquetball goggles? You could even further secure them with headgear.

I don't think goggles alone would work, but if you put on headgear over the goggles, the combo might stay in place. The headgear alone might give you a fair bit of protection.

Or the gimp mask....

You should start ,while you are brand new, watch during drills, but roll with closed eyes! Then, years from now, when your eye gets better and you can see you will always win!

Cliff Keen Face Guard-Combatsports.com

....by itself, or with added swimmers goggles? The extra raised padding might be enough that the swimmers goggles will be on level or under the guard, so no cuts.

FG01.JPG

Not gonna win any beauty contests this this baby for sure.

yeah you'd have to go for face gear, not goggles

the goggles do nothing

face gear can also be used if you got a broken nose and wanna train

maybe the problem should be simply the impact, goggles or no goggles...

maybe the problem should be simply the impact, goggles or no goggles...

true, the impact might be one of the problems, but like i said im just worried about stuff like someone poking my eye. the main reason i posted this is because i read that there was some wrestler who had a detached retina and used the goggles to protect his eyes, so im wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that are used.. the headgear wouldnt be as good as theres still space for someone to put their knee or elbow into the eye..

Back