GOAT unequivocally

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Alcibiades007, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Alcibiades007

Alcibiades007 Orange Belt

I was inspired by @Wise1's effort to determine once and for all the GOAT via the best method possible. Since Fightmatrix' mathematical method is hard to improve on, the best way to determine the GOAT is via their acclamation. And the most comprehensive source to search for the most objective version is Wikipedia.

Exploring the wikis of the most renowned fighters ever, I unearthed 10 individual who by acclamation are widely regarded by fans, media and experts as among the greatest of all time.

The 10 ATGs are:

Georges St-Pierre - "Frequently cited as one of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed martial arts... Fight Matrix lists him as the top MMA Welterweight of all time and most accomplished fighter in MMA history."

Fedor Emilianeko - "Former combat sports fighters Chuck Norris and Mike Tyson; current MMA fighters such as Junior dos Santos, Fabrício Werdum, and Jose Aldo; and other publications have called Emelianenko the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. MMA referee John McCarthy, sports commentatorMichael Schiavello and others, have compared Emelianenko's impact and legacy in MMA to the likes of Muhammad Ali, Pele, Wayne Gretzky, and their legacies in their respective sports."

Anderson Silva - "UFC president Dana White and UFC commentatorJoe Rogan are amongst numerous mixed martial arts (MMA) pundits who have at one point named Silva the greatest professional mixed martial artist of all-time"

Jon Jones - "Jones is widely regarded as one of the greatest professional fighters of all-time."

Daniel Cormier - " UFC president Dana White and UFC commentator Joe Rogan are amongst numerous mixed martial arts (MMA) pundits who have considered Cormier to be one of the greatest mixed martial artist of all time."

Demetrious Johnson - "He is widely regarded to be one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time"

Dan Henderson - "He is widely regarded as one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time"

B.J. Penn - "Credited as the greatest Lightweight combatant in mixed martial arts history, Penn's domination of the division, as well as his performances in higher weight classes have him regarded as one of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport"

Matt Hughes - "Hughes was also regarded by many analysts and several media outlets as one of the greatest welterweight fighters of all time, as well as one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters in the sport's history."

Kazushi Sakuraba - "Known for his excellent skills in catch wrestling, he is considered to be one of the greatest mixed martial art fighters of all time"

The most surprising omission would be Aldo who is described as "the greatest featherweight in mixed martial arts history."

Out of all the fighters mentioned above, only 3 of them are described as arguably the GOATs :

GSP, Fedor and Silva, which is consistent from my observation of the large amount of GOAT threads made here.

In my own ranking, GSP narrowly takes the 1th spot (which is backed up by themathematic method of Fightmatrix) but I always oscillated between him, Fedor and Andy. If either of them does anything notable again with their careers, it will seal the debate once and for all.

This was a gargantuan task so I hope I cracked the code or at least narrowed it down!

[​IMG]

Gregoire1 and Wise1 like this.
  2. Threetrees

Threetrees Belichick > Tomlin

Debate over

You did it TS

3. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

It's Artem. Just stop this nonsense.

4. ortizgnp

ortizgnp Original Vince Belt

Jon is the GOAT according to the official rankings.

See below

#1 Jon Jones

5. Alcibiades007

[​IMG]

Bobby Boulders, Wise1 and Threetrees like this.
  6. 2004 account

2004 account Supporting real mma

Notice how the paragraph you wrote about Fedor was the longest? That is probably a good hint of who holds the goat status especially if you add all the other fighters that have expressed their opinion on Fedor being number 1. If you added all the other quotes, It would take up the whole page.

7. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

I don't know who the GOAT is but the best fighter I've ever seen, no matter how dirty, is Jon Jones.

FreddieRoachsVoice likes this.
  8. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Brown Belt

9. Lunacy

Lunacy White Belt

Lol didn't read

Jon Jones is the GOAT and it's not up for debate

FreddieRoachsVoice likes this.
  10. Alcibiades007

Don't be unreasonable please!

11. Alcibiades007

I always wondered what's the closest thing we got for official all time rankings. I think it's either Tapology or Fightmatrix and both of them rank GSP as the GOAT. And the combined 2 and 3 are Fedor and Anderson Silva, as per my method.

12. jimmy dakine

jimmy dakine Orange Belt

Once and for all...the GOAT is TANK ABBOTT.....for too many reasons to list here. mike drop

13. Alcibiades007

Was he at least considered an ATG @ 95/96? Wasn't following the sport then so I wouldn't know.

Ares Black likes this.
  14. octagon888

octagon888 Purple Belt

word in title to long for sherdoggers to comprehend sorry. 10 letter max bro.

15. boxingskills

boxingskills Training to break world records.

16. Nightwish

Nightwish Purple Belt

Fedor went like 10 years undefeated in the best HW division. He is the GOAT. GSP may be the cherrypicking GOAT at best.

Typrune Goatley and Espresso like this.
  17. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

Fight Matrix? That ridiculous site which has Handy above Nog?
    cool story bro...

18. FreddieRoachsVoice

FreddieRoachsVoice Blue Belt

Why is the same quote repeated for nearly every fighter? What a redundant mess of a post. Btw, Jones > all

19. Cindynice420

Cindynice420 Purple Belt

if I ever meet fador i think will
    have the same reaction as gsp

Sweater of AV likes this.
  20. Alcibiades007

Not saying it's perfect. But at least they have an objective method and the results are fairly decent.