Go back to SS for a month to put on weight?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ThePatriot, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    I've been lifting seriously for a year and a half. would going back to SS be a waste of time. I'm planning on doing a huge 4 week bulking cycle soon.

2. Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

Oliver Geddes
    What are your numbers right now? What program are you on right now?

selfcritical likes this.
  3. Cratos Banned

Cratos
    Four weeks isn't very long to put on weight.

I'd reconsider your strategy.

4. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot

singles:
    bench 205
    squat 265
    dead 335
    (big 3 = 805)
    st. ohp 135
    6'2'' 188lbs

I really want to put on mass, not just in order to look bigger, but in order to keep progressing on my lifts. Another reason is that my squat is stalling really badly, I'd like to be doing it more than once a week. I feel like if I can eat around 4000 cals and do SS then I can put on some good size. I'd like to get my powerlifting total over 1000 over the next year as well.

I think I can put on 10-15 lbs in a month, and if only 2-3 lbs of that is muscle im fine. If I like how things are going I'll keep going, if not I'll probably go back to 531

5. Cratos Banned

Cratos
    Okay, then. Good luck...

6. PowerHungry Oh yeah!

PowerHungry
  7. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    I was on it for 6 months months, I found it hard on my knees after a while. also I hate doing 3 working sets.

I would do the standard program. i.e. eating a lot and not swapping out powercleans

edit: that article is the biggest copout ever, "if you are not making progress than techinically its not starting strength" rippetoe can be a joke sometimes. No one is going to increase their squat by 30 lbs a week for 6 months to a year

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    selfcritical likes this.
  8. dfownz Blue Belt

dfownz
  9. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    I was very skinny by the way, when I started SS I was 155, and had a 115 bench, So I appreciate what I accomplished with it. I'm still pretty skinny though.

10. squatsquatsquat Orange Belt

squatsquatsquat
    Definitely go back on the program and eat like you mean it. You will not be disappointed if you actually do this.

11. turbozed Red Belt

turbozed
    I've been on the 5/3/1 variant where you squat 3 times a week and I love it.

I'm finally breaking through a long plateau with my squats and bench press. I think it would be a good mass building program if you throw in some BBB work in and keep your calories high.

Here's the routine: T NATION | Training Lab

12. squatsquatsquat Orange Belt

squatsquatsquat
    Rip can be rough around the edges and not everyone who does his program experiences the same results but you are definitely capable of getting stronger than you did on the program. Also, SS is not intended to be run for a long period of time. Four months will likely exhaust the LP gains of even the most genetically gifted. Then you move to intermediate programming.

13. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    aye sensei

[​IMG]

Idk if I like that as much as SS, I never found DB rows helpful even though I have been doing them for months with super strict form. I've been doing the "how to build pure strength" 4 day 531 variation. I want to switch to a 3 day for recovery just for a month give or take

14. LegioTitan Guest

LegioTitan
    Well there's your problem.

Without seeing you train it's hard to know what is actually best for you. Or anyone for that matter. Numbers on a spreadsheet rarely dictate someone's actual intensity, in my experience. That's why I prefer more free-form programming for those not constrained by other physical obligations.

15. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    Because you are still pretty skinny you can probably make more progress on SS. Another option would be the Texas Method. I think it's the next logical step after SS for someone focused on strength without any other stuff going on (e.g. MMA or other sport training).

16. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    so you're both say I'm too skinny? I'm generally around 192-195, I can get that weight back on pretty easily. I'll just bulk to around 215, which I believe can be done relatively quickly.

17. Cratos Banned

Cratos
    You really have no idea, do you?

18. ThePatriot Black Belt

ThePatriot
    If you think I need be 240 then I think I have a general Idea, no need to be insulting. But 205-210 at a lf bf% would be Ideal

19. MSeltz White Belt

MSeltz
    I have a question about that article. I was progressing pretty well for the first 8 weeks or so, but since then I've had to slow my progression as I've gotten higher in weights. What's basically happened is I get to a weight and can't complete 3 sets of 5. So let's say I do 1 set of 5 and 2 sets of 4. I write that down, and the next time I do that exercise I focus on getting closer, maybe 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 4. Eventually I get to 3 sets of 5, and then I like to repeat the weight one more time to make sure I "own" it before moving up 5 lbs. And then I'll usually go through the same thing again at the new weight. This has happened with most of my exercises, so I really only go up about 5 lbs per exercise every week or two. Is that right? Or am I a YNDTB?

20. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    You are focusing on the weight gain when you should really be focusing on getting stronger. The weight gain helps drive the strength gains, not the other way around.

At this point Rippetoe would probably recommend that you start making 2.5 lb jumps instead of 5 lb jumps. You should also look at your rest times between sets. Depending on how long you are resting adding another minute or two of rest might be all you need to make 3x5 instead of missing a rep or two. If you are already resting 5+ minutes this might not make a big difference.