Glutes for the Slutes Squat/overhead press Competition

Does it have to be an all-time PR or can we use current? I don't think I'll even.hit my all-time PRs this year, let alone hit new ones. If so I'll test my maxes on Thursday

Current is what everyone’s been using. Welcome to the competition!

6 competitors, 7 if you join. Not the greatest turn out, but i’m Not sure bench/deadlift would generate much more.

Welcome! For some reason I always thought you were an Asian dude.
Part Cherokee and part Jew
Mostly white though

Press. Not as bad as I thought. A hit no less, but not dismal

Sidebar my fucking forearm kills during bench lately. Anything after 275. Read about grip maybe being the issue. Anybody else? Surprisingly press is fine

Sidebar my fucking forearm kills during bench lately. Anything after 275. Read about grip maybe being the issue. Anybody else? Surprisingly press is fine

I’ve only made several threads on this. What’s helped me is adjusting my bar path. If I’m using a wider grip I dont lower the bar past my nipple line, but I go to the sternum close grip. Haven’t had an issue in a few weeks.

I’ve only made several threads on this. What’s helped me is adjusting my bar path. If I’m using a wider grip I dont lower the bar past my nipple line, but I go to the sternum close grip. Haven’t had an issue in a few weeks.
It’s only recently this is happening. That’s the weird part. Going to try that

I’ll be updating your starting numbers shortly!

We can do the “floating” press rather than the bar resting on our clavicles? This is a game changer

We can do the “floating” press rather than the bar resting on our clavicles? This is a game changer
That’s as far as I can go even with an empty bar. Same reason I can’t front squat very well and have to do that genie position. Gotten a little worse after my shoulder injury. Got some stretching advice on here and that’s what got me to this point. I had given up pressing because it was so far from my body it was impossible, so...success?

Last edited:
That’s as far as I can go even with an empty bar. Same reason I can’t front squat very well and have to do that genie position. Gotten a little worse after my shoulder injury. Got some stretching advice on here and that’s what got me to this point. I had given up pressing because it was so far from my body it was impossible, so...success?
I have to widen my grip to the point where the lift feels completely different in order for the bar to reach my chest. If I keep my grip shoulder width, my starting position is like yours.

I have to widen my grip to the point where the lift feels completely different in order for the bar to reach my chest. If I keep my grip shoulder width, my starting position is like yours.
Don’t think that would even fix it. Can play around some but I’ve gone wider before and it stays the same roughly

Don’t think that would even fix it. Can play around some but I’ve gone wider before and it stays the same roughly
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just wanna use the float too lol I can press more weight that way

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just wanna use the float too lol I can press more weight that way
I’d love to be better at it but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. I’m still gonna beat you on the squat btw:p

525 looked the best, but 545 wasn’t far off, and it might of just been that you leaned forward more, so I’ll give you that one!

2 things: I’m jealous of your gym setup, and I don’t know why, but if I’m squatting with the pins that close to my bottom depth, I’ll almost always hit them.

525 looked the best, but 545 wasn’t far off, and it might of just been that you leaned forward more, so I’ll give you that one!

2 things: I’m jealous of your gym setup, and I don’t know why, but if I’m squatting with the pins that close to my bottom depth, I’ll almost always hit them.
Alright I’ll take the 545, goal is 600.

What you don’t see is a cross bar directly in front of my face when I rack and unrack the bar lol makes it a bit precarious. That rack was 200 on Amazon and has an 800lbs capacity, definitely a steal.

DrBdan
Weight: 190
Squat:275 (Goal: 315)
OHP: 110 (Goal: 125)

Hit 265 for the squat today and probably had a bit more in me. Or at least with a few heavy sessions 275 would be easy so we'll go with that My last squat session was 155x10 so 225 felt heavy on my back but moved quickly.

My press has always sucked but I'm surprised it's not weaker. My best is 140.

Edit: Squat was with a belt. Not that I felt I needed it but since the rules said same equipment to start and finish.

Back