gloves: oz size and type

jm332

White Belt
Reaction score
My stats = 180-185 lbs, thick but below avg size hands (in terms of length not width) for my body.

I am looking to buy 2 new sets of gloves for muay thai. After hours of research and Q&A with students at my school I have concluded that a pair of 12 oz gloves for bag/pad work, and the obvious choice for sparring (16 oz) are what i need.

my choice and rational for the 12 oz: Fairtex BVG1. I have heard plenty of good things about these gloves to want a pair, and i have decided that getting them in 12 oz would be best since i have heard that they have a fairly large hand compartment. Question: Is the hand compartment based off of length of hand or width of hand or both? If its width than i'll have no worries with the bvg1 16 oz either.

Question 2: If i am going to be using my 12 oz glove for pads/bag only, would it make sense to buy the fairtex super heavy bag gloves insead? It's obvious that they would be good for bag work but what about pads? My intuition says that they would be perfectly fine for pads but ya never know so i'd appreciate feedback on this.

The other glove i was going to purchase is the Twins BGVL-3 16oz for sparring and to also use very occasionally on the pads.

Are these good choices considering the info i have provided? should i flip flop the size/brand choice? get the super heavy bag gloves instead?

i appreciate any and all positive feedback.

My stats = 180-185 lbs, thick but below avg size hands (in terms of length not width) for my body.

I am looking to buy 2 new sets of gloves for muay thai. After hours of research and Q&A with students at my school I have concluded that a pair of 12 oz gloves for bag/pad work, and the obvious choice for sparring (16 oz) are what i need.

my choice and rational for the 12 oz: Fairtex BVG1. I have heard plenty of good things about these gloves to want a pair, and i have decided that getting them in 12 oz would be best since i have heard that they have a fairly large hand compartment. Question: Is the hand compartment based off of length of hand or width of hand or both? If its width than i'll have no worries with the bvg1 16 oz either.

Question 2: If i am going to be using my 12 oz glove for pads/bag only, would it make sense to buy the fairtex super heavy bag gloves insead? It's obvious that they would be good for bag work but what about pads? My intuition says that they would be perfectly fine for pads but ya never know so i'd appreciate feedback on this.

The other glove i was going to purchase is the Twins BGVL-3 16oz for sparring and to also use very occasionally on the pads.

Are these good choices considering the info i have provided? should i flip flop the size/brand choice? get the super heavy bag gloves instead?

i appreciate any and all positive feedback.

The Fairtex BGV1's in 12oz. or 14oz. would be a good choice all purpose training glove to use as a bag glove for two reasons, the padding is fairly dense, and the overall exterior size is smaller than most MT gloves. I would probably pass on the Fairtex Superbag Gloves, because, believe it or not I have heard mixed reviews on those.

Also, the Twins BGVL-3's in 16oz. would make an excellent choice for an MT sparring glove, if you are a savvy shopper, you can pick up a pair of the Twins FBGV's for only a few dollars more, if you like the designs more than the BGVL'3s. Personally, I love the FBGV-9's in black or white. Sounds like you have definately done your research, and homework on glove choices.

There are other options or choices, but you have just about nailed it on the head with your choices. Good luck!

:icon_chee

Thank you ECS123; your response is pretty much exactly what i was looking for. And yes i certainly have done tons of research; i think my productivity at work has suffered, lol.

I hear ya on the fairtex bag gloves as i have seen a couple unfavorable reviews which is a stark contrast to either the fbvg1 or twins sparring/training gloves.......i've seen your review on the FBGV-9's and those are def awesome looking gloves but when it comes to that sort of thing i am sort of a minimalist.....boring maybe?? haha. Glad to see i was helped first by a fellow native NY'er, thanks again man!

Thank you ECS123; your response is pretty much exactly what i was looking for. And yes i certainly have done tons of research; i think my productivity at work has suffered, lol.

I hear ya on the fairtex bag gloves as i have seen a couple unfavorable reviews which is a stark contrast to either the fbvg1 or twins sparring/training gloves.......i've seen your review on the FBGV-9's and those are def awesome looking gloves but when it comes to that sort of thing i am sort of a minimalist.....boring maybe?? haha. Glad to see i was helped first by a fellow native NY'er, thanks again man!

No problem, glad to be able to help.

No problem, glad to be able to help.

what oz glove to got ? i already have 16 oz sparring and i dont need to work on endurance with punching only accuracy and power im 205 lb right now and working on moving to 180-185 so before i buy the wrong size can someone please help me with what oz to get for the bag

Back