Gloves meant to protect the hands or the face?

without gloves, face and hand damage would happen in hyper speed. It only takes a mediocre shot to the ear to damage cartilage, I should know, and the same goes for punches, skin is not a very tough substance, and how the old timers fought without gumshields and bare knuckled is amazing. there is no way they put a lot into every shot, no way. and then, the bones of the face and hand, jawbones, orbital bones and teeth are most susceptible to punches, I really don't know what takes the worst damage honestly. I've known guys with permanent facial damage from getting punched by a more than likely, totally untrained stranger.

Gloves definitely protect both the hands and the opponents face. It's harder to knock someone out with gloves on. They don't don't get messed up as quick with cuts and bruises etc. Your knuckle is less likely to break. All that is true.

But also it allows the opponent to get hit more and have their brain rattle more, which makes it more dangerous. That likely accounts for the amount of deaths in boxing vs mma.

But also it allows the opponent to get hit more and have their brain rattle more, which makes it more dangerous. That likely accounts for the amount of deaths in boxing vs mma.

Great point. Due to massive gloves protecting the hands another boxing skill called precision is overlooked nowadays. With monster gloves you throw punches on your opponent as if he was a heavy bag. Huge gloves disable quality clinch work as well. The number of deaths in boxing is also due to the marathonic duration of fights. The biggest factor IMO is the knockdown rule. I don't see as many standing eight counts for inactivity today in pro boxing. How many times have we seen seriously hurt fighters get up after a quick recovery and continue to get pounded and than go down again and than stand up again and take more and more punishment. I've been watching many interviews lately with famous boxers from the 90s. With most of them you have to wait 2 minutes until they answer a simple question. It's sad. Boxing is my favorite sport but I have to admit, it has its dark side. And as it has been modified in the last 30 years it only increases neuron damage. Boxing with MMA gloves would be less dangerous and would have more skill in it. Boxers would think before throwing a punch. Will think twice about precision, timing and defense would be more based on movement and clinch rather than on simply keeping your hands up every time. Bare knuckle sounds a bit too savage but it has actually less bad effects than massive gloves. Yes some careers would be shorter and yes some people will get KO'd earlier in their fights. That's the downside. But what's the point of having a long and more succseful career that ends up most likely with serious neuron damage for you. We can say it's personal choice. It's a personal choice kind of forced by the rules.

I disagreed with the last sentence only.

You think huge boxing gloves wouldn't protect the head more than mma gloves? like 30 ounce+ gloves, Why? Once the hands are protected well enough that they won't break any additional padding should just reduce the amount of force the guy taking the punch absorbs.

You think huge boxing gloves wouldn't protect the head more than mma gloves? like 30 ounce+ gloves, Why? Once the hands are protected well enough that they won't break any additional padding should just reduce the amount of force the guy taking the punch absorbs.
I never said any of that. Thats silly.
Any padding would have a relative effect on a fight in comparison to bk fight both on head and hands.

I never said any of that. Thats silly.
Any padding would have a relative effect on a fight in comparison to bk fight both on head and hands.

Then you misread my post twice.

This is what I said.

"At some point though the bigger the gloves get it starts protecting the head as well but gloves that large don't get used in boxing."

Gloves protect the hands. A side effect is that they limit face damage.

I'm sure I remember Henry Wharton suffering a nasty injury during a fight. By the end there was blood pissing out of his glove. Poorly wrapped hands perhaps?

Meant for hands, that is not questionable.

Then you misread my post twice.

This is what I said.

"At some point though the bigger the gloves get it starts protecting the head as well but gloves that large don't get used in boxing."
sigh, again, the last part, as in this: "gloves that large don't get used in boxing."
That's what I disagreed with. All boxing gloves used everywhere today at anytime, lessen the probability of the damage on the head(getting wobbled/knocked down/slept/staggered/cut).
I can't make this any clearer. Or we're going around in circles.

Boxing gloves protect the soft tissue of the face better than no gloves BUT the padding doesn't do anything to decrease the brain shaking effect, in fact they found that it likely increases it (that was why Amateur boxing did away with headgear, they found it increased brain damage). With the padding removed from the knuckles you are more likely to cut and bruise your opponent but the wraps are still in place to protect the hands.

I remember once getting a right hook with head gear on when I was an amateur.

His glove sort of entered the head gear and spun round my head really hard with the extra lever gained. Had a sore neck for months.

Also clever guys would use hooks around the back of the head to pull it all over your eyes.

One guy actually purposefully took his head gear half off when I got him in the corner of one fight.

Stupid things

I've always wondered how well boxers would take punches without gloves, if you watch streetfights on vid like I do or many of the mma fights, guys just often drop like a sack of potatoes, I know that fighters have built up some sort of punch resistance but I wonder how much. The gloves really don't stop much when a punch connects real well I don't think, the material compresses and the knuckles are real close to the striking surface when a punch really lands.

I've always wondered how well boxers would take punches without gloves, if you watch streetfights on vid like I do or many of the mma fights, guys just often drop like a sack of potatoes, I know that fighters have built up some sort of punch resistance but I wonder how much. The gloves really don't stop much when a punch connects real well I don't think, the material compresses and the knuckles are real close to the striking surface when a punch really lands.

I believe they would not take them as good. The knuckles get close and you can generate the same force with the gloves but I think the larger surface area of the gloves kind of spreads out the energy. Its the same force but its less pressure on a larger area of the head when the punch lands.

sigh, again, the last part, as in this: "gloves that large don't get used in boxing."
That's what I disagreed with. All boxing gloves used everywhere today at anytime, lessen the probability of the damage on the head(getting wobbled/knocked down/slept/staggered/cut).
I can't make this any clearer. Or we're going around in circles.

So you do agree that any padding beyond protecting the hand reduces damage to the head. Why did you say you disagreed then? It still seems like you didn't read my post right because you're still saying the same thing I did but with different wording.

This is a not so subtle "hur dur, mma baby gloves are better and also why mma fighters appear to have weaker chins" thread.

So you do agree that any padding beyond protecting the hand reduces damage to the head. Why did you say you disagreed then? It still seems like you didn't read my post right because you're still saying the same thing I did but with different wording.

... wow. It seems like ur answering me reading off a broken phone screen or something...

I disagreed with one part... i said it twice... i qouted that part... u keep saying that i didnt disagree with the whole comment i have no idea why thats relevant...

You: a b c d
Me: not d.
You: u dont agree that a b c d?
Me: i said i disagree with d... a b c is ok.
You: so u do agree that a b c
Me: I’m either getting trolled or should recomend a rataline perscription.

Reread thae part i wrote between quotations in the last comment u replied to. If u still dont get it, dont reply cause like i said earlier “we’re going in circles and i cant be more clear”.

Back