Gloves for kickboxing

AntonCrowley

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, since this is my first post i'd like to say hi first of all. Been watching the threads on the forum for quite some time, figured it was time to join in and i had some questions, specifically about gloves.

I'm in the market for some new gloves + shinguards. I often see 2 pairs of gloves recommended, one for sparring and one for the bag / pads. The sparring ones are mostly going to be used for thai / kick boxing and mma sparring. I like the look of cleto's and winnings, but i wonder if the padding will be right, since there will be a lot kicking. Will i be better of going for a thai glove? And am i correct in assuming i should get a 12 oz for the pads / bag and a 16 oz for sparring? I am 5'11 and weigh about 170lbs. I like feedback on the bags and pads, but i'm not looking to hurt my sparring partners. We do a lot off drills where we hit on each others gloves. Sorry for the wall of text, i look forward to hearing you guys recommendations.

Seeing that you are already aiming at Reyes and Winning. You will be fine with Winning, even with a lot of kicks involve. Winning is still one of the most popular gloves among mma pros. Reyes probably not as good for sparring with kicks though.

As for your size, you probably don't need two sets of gloves, you can easily do everything with 16 oz. But if you have the budget for it, then sure get 2 sets, in that way your sparring gloves can last a lot longer too.

Oh for shinguards, I think 90% of people are going to agree Top King is the best choice of all.

Reyes probably not as good for sparring with kicks though.

Why makes you say that? Amount of padding on the backhand? Plenty of top MMA fighters and kickboxers spar in Cleto Reyes e.g.

anderson-2.jpg

GSP-Cleto-Reyes.jpg

Reyes tends to have a funky thumb placement that not everyone is comfortable with, but most people love them. I wouldn't worry about getting a Thai brand specifically. What people think of as a Thai-style of glove tends to be a kind of top-heavy velcro-closure glove, with the supposed purpose that the extra padding on the backhand helps block kicks better. I doubt there's anything to that really especially when you consider that every lace-up Thai glove has the same shape as every regular lace-up boxing glove anyway.

I disagree with iFossil about getting only a set of 16oz (unless that's all you can afford in which case, do what you have to do); 170lbs isn't huge and it's good to have some smaller pad gloves which will help more hone up your technique and be potentially closer to competition size. Better feedback, feel less clumsy and better able to work on technique.

16oz for sparring, 12oz for bags/pads sounds good.

Why makes you say that? Amount of padding on the backhand? Plenty of top MMA fighters and kickboxers spar in Cleto Reyes e.g.

Reyes tends to have a funky thumb placement that not everyone is comfortable with, but most people love them. I wouldn't worry about getting a Thai brand specifically. What people think of as a Thai-style of glove tends to be a kind of top-heavy velcro-closure glove, with the supposed purpose that the extra padding on the backhand helps block kicks better. I doubt there's anything to that really especially when you consider that every lace-up Thai glove has the same shape as every regular lace-up boxing glove anyway.

I disagree with iFossil about getting only a set of 16oz (unless that's all you can afford in which case, do what you have to do); 170lbs isn't huge and it's good to have some smaller pad gloves which will help more hone up your technique and be potentially closer to competition size. Better feedback, feel less clumsy and better able to work on technique.

16oz for sparring, 12oz for bags/pads sounds good.

What I meant was, Reyes isn't as good as winning for sparring with kicks. Not saying they are not do-able or terrible, just not as good between the two (Since OP already eyeing on these two only). That's my opinion anyway, winning is always going to be regarded as the best/better sparring gloves. If you still think I'm wrong then, let me know.

Also just my opinion, he is 170lb not huge but hardly a lightweight. He can easily do everything in 16 oz especially as he stated he does drills on partners and he doesn't want to hurt his partner with those drills. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it all with 16oz winnings. As I also mention, if he has the budget for it, then go for 2 sets. As winning are pretty pricey already.

Having a set of 12oz is a bonus but surely not essential. And if I were him I wouldn't worry too much about getting 2 sets to start with. If he feels like he needs that 12oz he will know himself after working with the set of 16 oz, may be he doesn't even want a 12oz later, he could prefer 8 oz or 10 oz or fightgloves or even mma gloves for that (lots of options). So I don't want to make it sounds like a requirement for him to get that second pair or it has to be 12oz, people are best figuring out what they want themselves and a set of 16 is standard to start with and shouldn't be weight equally important as the second pair imo.
2 sets is bonus, but a set of 16 is also 100% fine.

Last edited:
Would go with Twins, Top King or Fairtex. Can't go wrong with them and it won't break your bank.

Thanks everyone for the fast and extensive replies, they are very helpfull! I'd like to clarify a couple of things, i'm not dead set on either cleto's or winnings, i just figured they are the best available (that aren't custom). Money's also not an issue with this (unless stuff is Grant expensive).

Right now i'm eyeing a pair of winnings 16oz for sparring and partner drills and a pair of cleto's 12oz for the bags and pads. Would be a good setup right? Would i be able to do the drills with the cleto's? (we hit each others gloves) If anyone has any other recommendations i'm still very interested in hearing it. For some sort of matching shin guards as well.

Thanks everyone for the fast and extensive replies, they are very helpfull! I'd like to clarify a couple of things, i'm not dead set on either cleto's or winnings, i just figured they are the best available (that aren't custom). Money's also not an issue with this (unless stuff is Grant expensive).

Right now i'm eyeing a pair of winnings 16oz for sparring and partner drills and a pair of cleto's 12oz for the bags and pads. Would be a good setup right? Would i be able to do the drills with the cleto's? (we hit each others gloves) If anyone has any other recommendations i'm still very interested in hearing it. For some sort of matching shin guards as well.

16 oz winning is for sure suitable for sparring and for drills, unless you are a real hard hitter, then you can go 18 oz even.

No body on the internet really knows what kind or how hard you are doing those drills, who against, what sizes are your partners, prior injuries they might have or even what environment it is. So you have to decide for yourself after you have your hands on the Reyes. If anything, ask your coach and especially your training partners how they feel about them. They are the ones on the receiving end, being directly affected and there is no way we can answer you unless presuming, presume and guessing isn't accurate at all.

Last edited:
If anything, ask your coach and especially your training partners how they feel about them. They are the ones on the receiving end, being directly affected and there is no way we can answer you unless presuming, presume and guessing isn't accurate at all.

I agree if he were talking about doing light sparring with them, but he indicated that the drills involve hitting each other's gloves - presumably this means they aren't hitting each other. If that's the case then someone could do that barefisted and it wouldn't impact the partner.

I agree if he were talking about doing light sparring with them, but he indicated that the drills involve hitting each other's gloves - presumably this means they aren't hitting each other. If that's the case then someone could do that barefisted and it wouldn't impact the partner.

Well, this is combat sports, like Joe Rogan always says it's a lot of ego involved, a lot of "alpha male" there, not so easy to find training partners that doesn't wana hurt you and truly want to help you train.

And from my personal experience, many gyms that I have been to. There are always at least 50% of guys that have no good control.Not trying to be racist or anything, I train with a lot of Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Albanian, Lithuanian... They are straight up killers, at least half of them or even most of them will go 80-100% on you in these drills and you are going to get hit a lot (Especially they are usually size a lot bigger than me). Drills hitting on the gloves is just the basic term, for 2 beginners, sure they will do it light and touching gloves. If one of them isn't a beginner or a new wannabe. It's just about the combo your coach give you, one side to throw that combo, the other to block and defend it. Guys can go 100% easily and it's up to you to block their attacks, if you are not on the same level skill wise, or not as fast, or not as strong (Not same size). It's common you will get hit a lot. I'm not saying that's 100% OP's training environment, but you can't rule that out unless we train with him and know all his training partners.

With OP worrying the Reyes might not fit, I'd say the chances someone get hit accidentally isn't unlikely.

It's all about environment, type of person you train with. It's not so right for us (Some random dudes on the internet) to presume anything. If we have to presume something, we should presume the worst not the ideal.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the all the reply's. There's usually one or two assholes that always go a little bit too hard, but in general it's allright, at least here in the Netherlands.

I'll do some more research but i really appreciate all the answers. One more question though. Does anyone have experience with King gloves and shinguards. They just had an update to the designs/looks and are now called King Pro Boxing, no idea about how pillowy / hard they are though.
They are pushed pretty hard online through Booster around here and am wondering if anyone has experience with those as well, they look extremely big / puffy to me (i often see them used at Bang Muay Thai / Blackzillians and other camps)

There is only one slight difference between boxing gloves and muay gloves. The padding on the outside of the the palm for elbow defence.

That said it is minor and if you want reyes go with them. But ir actually sounds like you need 3 pairs 1 for sparring one dor bags and another for mma sparring.

Cheers
Dorian

On Sherdog people always recommend KO Fight Gear.

One thing I can never understand is, why do people use smaller gloves for bag work. I train with 16oz only. Yes it's bigger and heavier and slows you down but that's also an added bonus for training. The bigger glove also allows me to punch harder. My knuckles still get red after a good work out. Can someone explain to me why people train in smaller gloves? You fight in 16 so might as well train in them.

You fight with 16 ounce? Sparring yes 16
But for actuaI fights I thought 10 and 8 are used. I have only used 10 ounce

One thing I can never understand is, why do people use smaller gloves for bag work. I train with 16oz only. Yes it's bigger and heavier and slows you down but that's also an added bonus for training. The bigger glove also allows me to punch harder. My knuckles still get red after a good work out. Can someone explain to me why people train in smaller gloves? You fight in 16 so might as well train in them.

Usually, a pair of good 8-12oz depending on your size, style and punching power are enough for people to go full power on the bags, (if not you are just the heavy puncher or the gloves aren't good enough). Getting 16-18 is just extra for protecting your sparring partners. So when you don't have to care about the receiving end's feeling you can go lighter, faster and harder.

But in reality? Who the fuck cares what we use on the bags or pads. I use from mma fight gloves, mma sparring gloves to 8 , 10, 12, 14, 16oz. Different gloves just have different feedback and in different weight just do different kind of work out. Eg: 16oz I go for full powershot training, when 8oz I go for like 12 continuous combinations and get creative.

So I don't really agree the recommendation of getting pair of 16 and a pair of 12. It really should just be getting a pair of 16 and then get whatever the hell you feel suitable for yourself afterwards. Just my 2 cents, no meaning to offend anyone. Everyone trains differently and after the essential pair of 16oz sparring gloves, the person should have a better grasp of what he wants next, can be anything.

Last edited:

Professional boxing has 8oz and 10oz gloves, amateur boxing has 10oz and 12oz for competition. The only events I've known to use 16oz were the whitecollar types.

A lot of technique just comes down to muscle memory. Train with gloves more closely to that of competition gloves and you're going to have positives associated with that. Personally I just think it feels better. There's also a reason why when you're doing your shadowboxing, you don't wear boxing gloves. Getting slowed down isn't always advantageous but I think there are times for that too. Really, it's different strokes for different folks. Calzaghe used to do nearly all his work in 20+oz gloves.

When you see top fighters doing pads especially on fight week though you'll regularly see them using the same fight gloves they're going to be competing with.

Thanks again for the all the reply's. There's usually one or two assholes that always go a little bit too hard, but in general it's allright, at least here in the Netherlands.

I'll do some more research but i really appreciate all the answers. One more question though. Does anyone have experience with King gloves and shinguards. They just had an update to the designs/looks and are now called King Pro Boxing, no idea about how pillowy / hard they are though.
They are pushed pretty hard online through Booster around here and am wondering if anyone has experience with those as well, they look extremely big / puffy to me (i often see them used at Bang Muay Thai / Blackzillians and other camps)

I've read recently from a good poster on here that the Top King shinguards are very good, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff personally though or exactly how similar Top King/King equipment is. I owned some Top King gloves a few years ago that looked like these:

p-22073-Top_King_Boxing_Gloves_Air_211.jpg

They were very pillowy and had a pretty strange feel to them inside I remember, but I found them unusable anyway because I have longer fingers and in these, having long fingers means you won't be able to make a proper fist (something I find particularly often with Thai gloves).

Usually, a pair of good 8-12oz depending on your size, style and punching power are enough for people to go full power on the bags, (if not you are just the heavy puncher or the gloves aren't good enough). Getting 16-18 is just extra for protecting your sparring partners. So when you don't have to care about the receiving end's feeling you can go lighter, faster and harder.

But in reality? Who the fuck cares what we use on the bags or pads. I use from mma fight gloves, mma sparring gloves to 8 , 10, 12, 14, 16oz. Different gloves just have different feedback and in different weight just do different kind of work out. Eg: 16oz I go for full powershot training, when 8oz I go for like 12 continuous combinations and get creative.

So I don't really agree the recommendation of getting pair of 16 and a pair of 12. It really should just be getting a pair of 16 and then get whatever the hell you feel suitable for yourself afterwards. Just my 2 cents, no meaning to offend anyone. Everyone trains differently and after the essential pair of 16oz sparring gloves, the person should have a better grasp of what he wants next, can be anything.
I completely agree. Also, what's up with lightweights and heavy weights using the same 16oz gloves? Shouldn't heavy weights be using 20oz or something. Everytime I spar with a heavy weight, I'm scared for my brains.
Professional boxing has 8oz and 10oz gloves, amateur boxing has 10oz and 12oz for competition. The only events I've known to use 16oz were the whitecollar types.

A lot of technique just comes down to muscle memory. Train with gloves more closely to that of competition gloves and you're going to have positives associated with that. Personally I just think it feels better. There's also a reason why when you're doing your shadowboxing, you don't wear boxing gloves. Getting slowed down isn't always advantageous but I think there are times for that too. Really, it's different strokes for different folks. Calzaghe used to do nearly all his work in 20+oz gloves.
Also shadowboxing with gloves or training too much with gloves on gives you a bad habit of fist making with the thumb on top of your index instead of tucked away in front of the fingers.

I've read recently from a good poster on here that the Top King shinguards are very good, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff personally though or exactly how similar Top King/King equipment is. I owned some Top King gloves a few years ago that looked like these:

They were very pillowy and had a pretty strange feel to them inside I remember, but I found them unusable anyway because I have longer fingers and in these, having long fingers means you won't be able to make a proper fist (something I find particularly often with Thai gloves).

I think he is talking about these:
KPB-BG-3-front.png

This brand, not the Top King or King from Thailand.

I completely agree. Also, what's up with lightweights and heavy weights using the same 16oz gloves? Shouldn't heavy weights be using 20oz or something. Everytime I spar with a heavy weight, I'm scared for my brains.

That I am sure for pros/experience heavyweights, if they spar, they will have good control and pulls their shots. Or if they know it's a hard sparring session, they will put the head guard on. There are also occasion that head guard+16oz aren't enough for sure, that's the ocassion those people get their 18oz, 20oz. Or most of the time, they just don't have the cardio for good session of sparring anyway...

For beginner, I think it's just rare people get 18oz or even 20oz as their first pair, even beginner like 265lb, as a beginner just doesn't guarantee they can punch hard.

This brand, not the Top King or King from Thailand.

My understanding is that this is the King brand from Thailand and they've just had that "update" AntonCrowley referenced. Can tell by the cuff they are likely still Thai gloves and associated in some way at the least.

edit: Those pictured anyway look like they'll be better for longer fingers than the pair I had.

Back