gloves for an older "bag warrior"

OldManKris

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some help deciding on a better pair of gloves to help me resolve a sore middle knuckle issue.

I'm 44, 143lbs. I've been training on heavy bag, double end bag, shadow boxing, jump rope, etc., off and on for 12 years, and solidly 4x/wk for the last year and a half. Olympic lifting is my main sport since my youth, so I'm in better shape than your average 44 year old, but my body is more susceptible to repetitive motion injury than younger athletes. I don't spar or fight, just play around upright with bags and the air.

I recently upgraded by heavy bag to a 80lb Pro Boxing Equipment bag, and it is pretty darn hard. I've been using a pair of 14oz Title Pro Style leather training gloves, and after three weeks of working on the bag 3x/week for 30 minutes, my left middle knuckle is sore. Tried resting it, but it continues to flare up. My right hand had the same issue briefly but it went away, but the left seems to be here to stay. Rather than scrapping the bag, I'd like to get some better gloves. I'm assuming that good padding at the knuckles would be key.

My budget is up to about $120. I'm currently looking at:

Ring to Cage C-17 2.0, velcro 14oz
Double A Boxing Pro Wrist Lock, 14oz

I'm not very well-informed about features of gloves; I've mostly used crappy gear over the years. I read that the C-17s have good knuckle protection and are patterned after Winning gloves. I've read that the Double A gloves are well-made for their price, and I noted that the Wrist Lock model has 2 inches of padding. That's about the extent of my thinking on these.

Sorry for the long post. This is my first post ever, kind of a brain dump. Thanks for any help.

How about these?
31375EY34WL._SY355_.jpg
Winning knuckle guard NG-2

First they are cheaper than any gloves, secondly finding a good pair of protective gloves aren't that easy, everyone has different type of hands and not always compatible. Even if they are, gloves padding do thin out and wear down fairly quickly/eventually (depends on your usage).

If your gloves are still intact it would be a waste to replace them completely and never use again. These cost around 20 bucks as long as you have room in the hand compartment after wrapping, I feel the knuckle guard would be your best choice, these+any gloves would be the most protective combo if knuckle is your only issue.

But of course, if you don't have the room. C17 is a good choice alongside others such as UMA RT-41, ultra, topboxer...etc Not heard much about the double A myself though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give those a try before buying new gloves. My fit in my current gloves is a bit snug, so we'll see how it works. I also wouldn't mind trying a higher quality glove for a change at some point. Thanks for the additional suggestions there too. I do wish I could find some more current reviews of the Double A gloves, and specifically that model.

+1 for NG2.

The UMA RT41 are supposed to be super protective. Might want to check them out.

+1 for NG2.

The UMA RT41 are supposed to be super protective. Might want to check them out.

+1. I once tried the NG2 with the RT41. Complete overkill. I suppose it would be a good option for someone with serious hand issues.

Both great products in their own right.

+1. I once tried the NG2 with the RT41. Complete overkill. I suppose it would be a good option for someone with serious hand issues.

Both great products in their own right.

Wow, would that be close to 4 inches of padding there? lol

Wow, would that be close to 4 inches of padding there? lol

Yeah probably. And not only 4 inches of just any padding. It would be 4 inches of a combination of super efficient shock absorbing foams.

Just go bare knuckle while listening to Kanye west.

NG-2s are good.

I have the NG-2s, they help. If you order them, order a bunch, since you'll be paying for shipping from Japan and you'll always have one in the wash, plus they do wear out.

Ring To Cage has some sort of similar gel thing

I don't like the look of them since they go imbetween the fingers.

You can also wrap differently

When my NG2s are dirty or I forget them : I do a method where I don't use the thumb loop. Instead I put about 8-10 layers on top of my knuckles first and then wrap. I'll describe it here and can try and shoot a video some time this week.

1. Spread your hand wide and loop the wraps around your fingers 4 times, just hook the thumb loop on your index finger for nnow

2. Pull the stacked loop off your hands and lay the bundle across your knuckles pinning the side of the bundle with your thumb.

3. Now continue wrapping around your hand and the bundle 3-4 times covering that bundle firmly and getting that nice thick layer on your knuckles.

4. Then wrap down to the wrist, get the thumb...

5. Do the imbetween finger passes - twisting them to the outside or inside of your hand after you pass through each finger.

6. Finish wrapping with wrist support.

I like this method since it provides a ton of padding on the knuckles and leaves my palm open for clinch.

Back