Glove sizes

Wow some of you guys hit things with pillows. Not sure how much conditioning you'll get hitting things in 14 or 16oz.

For mitts, heavy bag or pads- I use bag mitts. Specifically these bad boys:

51%2Bsz3SvTlL.jpg

If I had to guess the oz - probably around 4 or 6oz. I like wearing gloves with as little padding as possible - just feels more natural for me. Plus you learn to hit things with the right parts of your knuckles.

For sparring - we use 8oz mma sparring gloves (light contact to the head, heavier contact to body/legs). The sparring gloves I use are Sandee 8oz MMA sparring gloves. We have the kudo headgear so you're not really getting marked up at all.

Wow some of you guys hit things with pillows. Not sure how much conditioning you'll get hitting things in 14 or 16oz.

For mitts, heavy bag or pads- I use bag mitts. Specifically these bad boys:

51%2Bsz3SvTlL.jpg

If I had to guess the oz - probably around 4 or 6oz. I like wearing gloves with as little padding as possible - just feels more natural for me. Plus you learn to hit things with the right parts of your knuckles.

For sparring - we use 8oz mma sparring gloves (light contact to the head, heavier contact to body/legs). The sparring gloves I use are Sandee 8oz MMA sparring gloves. We have the kudo headgear so you're not really getting marked up at all.
I could never use thsese. I did when I started out and my wrists got messed. I only use the regular styled gloves because of wrist support. And yes, when I wore the bag gloves I wrapped up and with emphasis on my wrists.

I could never use thsese. I did when I started out and my wrists got messed. I only use the regular styled gloves because of wrist support. And yes, when I wore the bag gloves I wrapped up and with emphasis on my wrists.

Personally I feel there is a huge benefit in using bag mitts especially for heavy bags - they force you to make sure you have proper technique otherwise the result is something gets tweaked.

My wrists would hurt a lot as well when I first started using them years ago. But I figured that meant my wrists/forearms needed work - so I started incorporating forearms rolls, wrist curls & macebell swings into my S&C and worked on how I placed punches more. I haven't had any wrist issues since.

There's nothing wrong with wrapping up your wrists either and using bag gloves. IMHO it's the next best thing.

There's nothing wrong with wrapping up your wrists either and using bag gloves. IMHO it's the next best thing.
I never thought there was anything wrong with that, when I started everyone wrapped up before putting gloves on, so I thought it was normal. Didn't know the differentiation between the different types of gloves then. Only MMA and boxing/striking gloves I knew were different.

On the other hand, I remember the local prick sparring with bag gloves and going balls to wall.

Eventually I knew bag/pad gloves (regardless of type) shouldn't be used for sparring due to the build up on it over time, not to mention the bag's usually dirty, not exactly a polite thing to my teammates to give them that with the bangin'.

That sort of injury is a lack of correct positioning of the hand/wrist for hits, not glove or wrap.

Back