Glory 62 Rotterdam: Heavyweight Tournament

It's a true 8 men HW tournament, they get a special belt this time instead of a trophy. Plus a $150.000 check. But yeah, sometimes Glory doesn't make any sense. Benny should have gotten another shot at title a while back already.

Anyway... not gonna lie, I'm hyped for this. Let the games commence!!

Unless tournaments and belts are considered 2 different things. For instance you can be the champion of your division but not win the tournament of the year, and vice versa.

I think the main problem here is that Glory doesn't do enough tournaments, and those contender tournaments they've been running undermined the main tournaments where now if you win a tournament you're only considered a contender and not champion, as opposed to what tournaments meant in K-1 for example.
So the champion doesn't get stripped of the title if he loses?

Betting odds:

GLORY KICKBOXING 62: ROTTERDAM
December 8, 2018
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

MAIN CARD - 2:00PM EST - ESPNews

Light Heavyweight (-95KG)

Artur Gorlov +225
Luis Tavares -305
-

Heavyweight Tournament (+95KG) (Quarter-Final)

Mohamed Abdallah +235
Guto Inocente -315
-

Tomas Mozny -115
Jahfarr Wilnis -115
-

Junior Tafa +150
Jamal Ben Saddik -190
-

Arkadiusz Wrzosek +280
Benjamin Adegbuyi -400
-

SUPERFIGHT SERIES - 12:00PM EST - UFC FightPass

Lightweight (-70KG)

Christian Baya +235
Marat Grigorian -315
-

Lightweight (-70KG)

Tyjani Beztati +115
Stoyan Koprivlenski -155

In my opinion it should be like in K-1 where you could be the holder of the belt of the division and the tournaments would be something separate. They are 2 different competitive contests and should be kept separate. Of course in K-1 it didn't mean much to be the belt holder of the division but let's pretend it does have some recognition now in Glory. This means that someone who wants to prove they are the best of the current time would try to win both (the belt of the division, and the yearly tournament).

At the moment winning such a tournament doesn't mean that much if in the end it just means you are a contender for the belt and the holder of the belt doesn't even bother participating. I mean I don't have that much interest in that HW tournament now, it would be different if at least Rico was in it. But for instance at Glory 4 in the HW tournament Semmy Schilt fought (and won) even though he was the holder of the HW belt from Glory 1.

Kind of strange to have two non ranked Glory guys in the tournament while Mannart who is #8 ranked is a reserve fight. Hes been proven under the tournament format he should be in there...

Jamal wins this, easy money.

It's a true 8 men HW tournament, they get a special belt this time instead of a trophy. Plus a $150.000 check. But yeah, sometimes Glory doesn't make any sense. Benny should have gotten another shot at title a while back already.
No, why should they fight a third time?
Rico destroyes him.

Oh I don't know... maybe because he won the contender tournament?

Secondly I'm not so sure if Rico beats Benny so easily a third time.

Both fights with Benny and Jamal are worthy of a trilogy. Or do you see any better fights?

Last edited:
Kind of strange to have two non ranked Glory guys in the tournament while Mannart who is #8 ranked is a reserve fight. Hes been proven under the tournament format he should be in there...
K-1 Japan HW proves NOTHING! :cool:

----
Nah, (sorta) j/k, he should be in the tournament proper.

No, why should they fight a third time?
Rico destroyes him.
Because Adegbuyi can fight Verhoeven in Romania! And he won 2 contender tournaments, they should have had already the third meeting. But it seems Cor Hemmers doesn"t agree, and the Dutch matchmaking.

Oh I don't know... maybe because he won the contender tournament?

Secondly I not so sure if Rico beats Benny so easily a third time.

Both fights with Benny and Jamal are worthy of a trilogy. Or do you see any better fights?

Adegbuyi even if he doesn"t win this tournament he should get the chance, because he won two contender tournaments. Not one. Moreover he deserves a fight in Romania, their second fight was in Amsterdam.

What a decline from glory 4 to glory 62. 8 man tournament and 4 of them don't even have wikipedia pages.

There is already a precedent for this. Rico fought Badr, Bigfoot and what’s his name (former Enfusion champ) in non-title bouts. How would it have been any different if he had lost one of those fights as opposed to losing in a tournament?

What a decline from glory 4 to glory 62. 8 man tournament and 4 of them don't even have wikipedia pages.

Yeah and that's mostly because they've made tournaments almost meaningless where the champion doesn't even have to enter. It also doesn't help that back then they still had the legends of K-1 before they retired like Peter Arts, Semmy Schilt, Remy Bonjasky, Gökhan Saki, etc. all in that tournament on top of the younger talent.

Yeah. I don't know what was glory thinking, especially because those aren't promosing fighters either. Instead they should have had Ismael Londt, Anderson Silva and Tavares( already beat Wilnis). Even Marshall is better than those 3 nobodies they chose.

@Tayski @cristheroman

The only way this could turn out to be good for Glory is if this unknown underdogs score some upset wins in the quarters. If the point of the tournament is to have Wilnis, Saddik, Adegbuyi and Inocente pass in the semis in relatively easy fight than fuck the whole thing.

Back