GLORY 35: Nice

What Petpanomrung did doesn't get enough credit. To throw a well balanced kick like that for 9-15 minutes straight with lovely repetition is a lot harder than it appears. I think the layman sees this as ordinary, which IMO is most fans of kickboxing or Muay Thai. The snappy 4-5 punch combo + leg kick looks sexy and seems more impressive to a typical spectator, but it's not. There's a reason why the rest of the world can't do what Petpanomrung did, but mimicking the Dutch style with success is seen everywhere.
Giving credit can be effected by expectations. Most of us expected Pet to win. I share your frustration with the Dutch style but its what is considered more entertaining by many even if we both disagree. Effectiveness is no1 priority and entertainment comes second so he needs to find a balance of being effective whilst being liked by all those causal fans or he may end up like Rigondeaux or Lara in boxing.

What Petpanomrung did doesn't get enough credit. To throw a well balanced kick like that for 9-15 minutes straight with lovely repetition is a lot harder than it appears. I think the layman sees this as ordinary, which IMO is most fans of kickboxing or Muay Thai. The snappy 4-5 punch combo + leg kick looks sexy and seems more impressive to a typical spectator, but it's not. There's a reason why the rest of the world can't do what Petpanomrung did, but mimicking the Dutch style with success is seen everywhere.
but when Samkor did it against Kobayashi, it was just a southpaw spamming full power kicks against a can? ;)

I always find it funny when commentators talk about muay thai fighters having to do a "transition" to kickboxing as if it was rare. If anything, muay thai fighters have a better foundation to succeed than fighters from any other background as long as they can get used to no clinch rule.

Examples: Buakaw, Petrosyan, Artem Levin, Simon Marcus, Yodsanklai, Pajonsuk Superpro Samui, Sagadpet and currently Sittichai, Petpanomrung, Matt Embree, Kaew, Gonnapar + many more who probably started out as muay thai fighters + many more who frequently go to thailand to train before their fights.

The traditional "thai style" works better than the dutch style, or sitmonchai style as long as they don't get robbed.

A fighter deserves credit when they do something impressive, but there's also a time to just say the losing fighters didn't know what to do.

Is it impressive if someone competent is able to outshine the layman?

Hm...

I'm just trolling, but that's still quite funny

On social media i mostly see people praising Petpanomrungs performance. They probably though Sittichai was one of the best kickers in thailand because of the glory commentators but petpanomrung is miles ahead.

I think MT is more effective than Dutch style as a whole but its mainly the fighter not the style. What separates the Thai's from their opponents in kickboxing is the skill level and experience of competing in Thailand for all those years especially in the stadiums.

I thought Pet looked good, complete shut down only using left kick Maybe he had a point to prove to combo flow guys :D I've never seen discoloration that bad before. Maybe its because Renita is a pretty fair skinned guy but still.

Fixed :)

Pet looked great but the dude was sub par by kickboxing standards. If jaymuaythai said what coca just said after a sittichai fight im pretty sure he'd get roasted.

Pet looked great but the dude was sub par by kickboxing standards. If jaymuaythai said what coca just said after a sittichai fight im pretty sure he'd get roasted.
Subpar compared to who. I'm sure he would be competitive against any top 10 guy that is not a good kicker.

Same thing with Yamazaki, but he looked poor against Gonnapar.

I feel like they should put out more behind the scenes videos, but without corny music.

Subpar compared to who. I'm sure he would be competitive against any top 10 guy that is not a good kicker.

Same thing with Yamazaki, but he looked poor against Gonnapar.
I think its safe to say Yamazaki is a lot better than Renita:

I think its safe to say Yamazaki is a lot better than Renita:

Of course, but Yamazaki is also alot better than many fighters. I don't think Renita is subpar, it was a fair matchup considering it was Petpanomrungs first kickboxing fight. Definitely not a top 10 fighter but good enough to fight top 10 fighters.

Glory Nice replay on Digi Sport 2 Romania in 12 minutes from now.

!!!

You can also find streams on the internet.

It started, I"m watching again the show but in some days I will also find it on torrents and download it.

This was a really solid event and I"m not saying this because of Benny.

but when Samkor did it against Kobayashi, it was just a southpaw spamming full power kicks against a can? ;)

Of course you disregard the context. Am I calling Petpanomrung the greatest kicker ever? Also, this dude was being called a tough first fight for Petpanomrung.

My general point was clear, and that is someone shouldnt be lessened for a dominating performance because they lack variety.

Of course you disregard the context. Am I calling Petpanomrung the greatest kicker ever? Also, this dude was being called a tough first fight for Petpanomrung.

My general point was clear, and that is someone shouldnt be lessened for a dominating performance because they lack variety.
I was joking but nobody said Samkor was the greatest kicker ever. People were saying he had one of the hardest kicks that they had seen in a fight.

Someone in this thread seemed dissapointed with Pets performance but on social media i mostly see people praising him for his kicks. He might be the best kicker in kickboxing though.

and what about the guy that knocked out 3 guys with knees to the head in one night. I quoted you on that.

and what about the guy that knocked out 3 guys with knees to the head in one night. I quoted you on that.

Petpanomrung demonstrated sophisticated fighting ability. The other guy didn't.

Back