GLORY 15 Istanbul LHW-Tournament, April 12

I hate how they replay that shit a bunch.

worst way to end the most anticipated match in kickboxing, really hope Spong can make a full recovery

Normally, yeah. Saki knee spiked him though >.<

for reference, the knee spike is basically a very short knee strike thrown into a low kick which I believe comes from traditional Muay Thai, and was used by Mr. Perfect to stop Ray Sefo and advance to the finals of the 2002 K-1 Grand Prix. vicious

Yeah definitely a vicious way to end a fight.

But randomly throwing low kicks is a "mistake" a lot of fighters make in training and during fights. I do it a lot too to be honest, especially if i realize that the opponent isn't that good at blocking low kicks(I'm working on stop doing it though since i kicked right on the knee once in an amateur fight like a year and a half ago, luckily i wore shinguards because otherwise my shin would be in half, it still hurt like hell though).

Tragic ending but it is what it is. Checking leg kicks ain't nothing new.

BlD0rNBIEAAUTy0_zps4e0e5de1.jpg

A lot of that stuff seemed fake.

Corbett could have continued and I thought Spong clearly lost to Cavalari.

When the scores were read, I thought Tyrone might have won a round but it seemed pretty obvious they were trying to set up a Saki Spong rematch as the final.

ears are overrated anyway, I mean you have 2, might as well lose one of them.

Did you even see the cut?

It was a little slice and not in the inner part of the ear, or eardrum, like the commentators said.

Roufus was all like "he's discombobulated" and "it popped his ear drum".

He was walking around fine and it was a little cut on the lobe.

I'm not saying Ghokan wasn't whipping that ass.

It just seemed obvious from the get go they were trying to set up a rematch between Saki and Spong.

Don't see any way Spong got the decision against Cavalari.

Maybe he won the second round because he rocked him but he definitely ate more shots and that was Tyrone's best round.

Any word on the details of the injury?

I'm calling it now, low kicks are going to become a lost art, after Silva and Spong I don't think very many people are going to want to throw them.

What a disappointing ending.

Lol, no.

Did you see it?

8uikpyrw.jpg

Yeah, and he was fine.

All the "he's dilapidated" talk and it was like no he's not.

It was just a guy walking around.

All that punch did was slightly wobble him and they call the fight?

Yeah, and he was fine.

All the "he's dilapidated" talk and it was like no he's not.

It was just a guy walking around.

All that punch did was slightly wobble him and they call the fight?
Did you see a protest from Carnage?

Did you see a protest from Carnage?

Some people are just too nice to speak up, even if the reason is legit.

Sherk Penn when BJ called the fight in between rounds, McMann Rousey, Nasty Nate Marquardt Leites on Herb Dean's bad calls, etc.

And when they read the Spong Cavalari scores I thought, "oooooh, that's kinda harsh not giving Tyrone a single round but it might be right".

Some people are just too nice to speak up, even if the reason is legit.

Sherk Penn when BJ called the fight in between rounds, McMann Rousey, Nasty Nate Marquardt Leites on Herb Dean's bad calls, etc.

And when they read the Spong Cavalari scores I thought, "oooooh, that's kinda harsh not giving Tyrone a single round but it might be right".
Carnage looked like he gave up. Clearly it was enough of an issue to stop the fight. Saki was already landing left hooks at will, Carnage would have had his ear slapped into the front row I'd it continued.

I had Cavalari slightly edging Spong as well, but I also had Grigorian edging RVR too.
The judges seemed to favor single power shots that knocked the head a bit over accumulative clean combinations and low kicks. No conspiracy. Glory had no issue with underdogs moving forward in the past...

Carnage looked like he gave up. Clearly it was enough of an issue to stop the fight. Saki was already landing left hooks at will, Carnage would have had his ear slapped into the front row I'd it continued.

I had Cavalari slightly edging Spong as well, but I also had Grigorian edging RVR too.
The judges seemed to favor single power shots that knocked the head a bit over accumulative clean combinations and low kicks. No conspiracy. Glory had no issue with underdogs moving forward in the past...

That's another case of a fighter being too nice.

When the decision was read, Cavalari just took it.

That's why it seemed weird.

It was all based around Gokan Spong rematch and the other semi-finalists just took it.

Fuck.

Stoica was looking pretty good till the KO.

He was, but he went after the KO. You saw, he could have caught him but Ilunga is slick and has Remy in the corner. Danyo countered the hook well and this was the end. Anyway, this fight has provided.

auyzxt.jpg

As many people have said before the tourney, Ilunga deserved to be in it way more than Corbett.

Ilunga is a guy who won 16 of his last 17 fights, and the loss against Spong was pretty much controversial. Ok, Spong is probably better anyway but the stoppage was wrong.

Strangely, Zowa beat Danyo 18 fights ago by KO and same Zowa lost clearly to Andrei Stoica only some months after. But since then... Ilunga is superior and impressive!

Last edited:
Back