Glass chins.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What current fighters have glass chins? I think Thomas Williams Jr. has a weak chin.

I dont think Williams has a glass chin, just not a great chin either. Plus when add his style into consideration, he's very wild and it opens him up to huge shots that he doesn't see coming. Worst case scenario for a fighter.

Khan's an obvious choice here, Vic Ortiz has been hurt/dropped in most of his losses as well. I'll edit this if any others come to mind, it's hard to become a good fighter when you have a below average chin. Both guys I mentioned have a ton of natural athleticism that made up for their lack of punch resistance at times. Ppl might mention Roy too, but hard to tell b/c prime Roy rarely even got hit clean from what I can tell. Technically he's still current I guess, so he fits the crriteria, although maybe he retired recently and I didn't know about it. Fonfara doesn't have a glass chin but he's not the most durable guy out there.

Amir Khan having a “glass chin”, “worst chin in boxing” or “cant take a punch” are the biggest misconceptions

Amir Khan having a “glass chin”, “worst chin in boxing” or “cant take a punch” are the biggest misconceptions
Have to disagree here. Willie Limond dropped him at 135. Prescott ko'd him cold at 135 as well. You can chalk that up to a tough weight cut or whatever but a lot of guys have tough cuts and don't get ko'd like that. Not to mention his other losses, only one of which he made it the distance. He was also straight up knocked out cold by Canelo and Danny dropped him 3 times in his other tko loss. Also been hurt multiple times w/o being dropped. He's got a suspect chin for sure, imo.

I think Deontay Wilder has a glass jaw. His thin legs, gangly frame, spells of awkward balance, propensity for haphazard punching, level of opposition (especially given how long he's been a pro), all point to him being the glass cannon to end all glass cannons.

How so? The guy looks like a girraffe on ice when he gets tagged and his recovery is some of the worst I've seen at the elite level.

Have to disagree here. Willie Limond dropped him at 135. Prescott ko'd him cold at 135 as well. You can chalk that up to a tough weight cut or whatever but a lot of guys have tough cuts and don't get ko'd like that. Not to mention his other losses, only one of which he made it the distance. He was also straight up knocked out cold by Canelo and Danny dropped him 3 times in his other tko loss. Also been hurt multiple times w/o being dropped. He's got a suspect chin for sure, imo.
Prescott would have ko’d anyone that night that stood in front of him, weight drained or not

The Canelo ko is a bad example for obvious reasons, and people forget the begining of the end for Khan in the Garcia fight was an equilibrium shot behind the ear

Had he gotten hurt by Malignaggi then you can make a strong case for a weak chin, he held his own against Judah when he still had something and survived a young and reckless Maidana

Suspect chin at the least, sub par defense and admiring his own art work is what did him in.

How so? The guy looks like a girraffe on ice when he gets tagged and his recovery is some of the worst I've seen at the elite level.
Does anyone not remember Khan prior to Garcia and not bring up Prescott????

And im a guy who had an unpleasant experience with Khan at the Wild Card, hes a complete peice of crap as a person.

I think Deontay Wilder has a glass jaw. His thin legs, gangly frame, spells of awkward balance, propensity for haphazard punching, level of opposition (especially given how long he's been a pro), all point to him being the glass cannon to end all glass cannons.
Keep believing that.

Keep believing that.

What other choice do I have? Until I see him deal with some adversity the jury is still out. It's the same question that would be asked of any fighter.
But if he can keep one-punch man-ing the whole HW division...good for him. I just need to see him fight the "cream" of the HW division first. Not a big ask.

I think most of those critiques of him are fair. But I think the fact that he's a stupid boxer is his biggest undoing. Call him brave, or whatever, but he gets tunnel vision everytime he lets his hands go. And he might have some sort of cognitive dissonance about his ability to take a punch. If he had Wlad's brains he might've had a better run.

Sorry, why is there any debate over a man dropped by willie limond, sparked by breidis prescott and saved by Cortez having a shit chin. His chin is shit. Move along.

I think most of those critiques of him are fair. But I think the fact that he's a stupid boxer is his biggest undoing. Call him brave, or whatever, but he gets tunnel vision everytime he lets his hands go. And he might have some sort of cognitive dissonance about his ability to take a punch. If he had Wlad's brains he might've had a better run.
I agree with everything you said, and its funny you bring up Wlad, before the Brewster fight Wlad had the worst chin in heavyweight according to fans, I think Merchant even said it himself, soon after that no one ever mentioned it again, “glass chin” gets thrown around too much whenever a champ gets ko’ed, and not just because of getting ko’ed, a lot tend to go on a skid and get ko’ed again and so people get the misconception of “ glass chin” and forget a ko loss 5-7 years into a career usually means its time to call it a career

Surprisingly I don't remember the endings of fury and Joshua but unless I'm mistaken hasn't he always been waved off on his feet ready to fight on?

Surprisingly I don't remember the endings of fury and Joshua but unless I'm mistaken hasn't he always been waved off on his feet ready to fight on?
Ready to get KTFO, he was pretty out of it in all 3 ko losses, I even think I heard in the Klitchko documentary, after the Brewster loss Wlad was taken to the ER because he passed out in his locjer room

As buddyrevell said, he had the discipline and brains to polish up his craft, for all we know he had the glass chin in the heavyweight division

Prescott would have ko’d anyone that night that stood in front of him, weight drained or not

Why do you say that? Prescott is not some killer. I'd say there are many, many people that he would not have ko'd that night.

The Canelo ko is a bad example for obvious reasons, and people forget the begining of the end for Khan in the Garcia fight was an equilibrium shot behind the ear

Garcia has hit lots of guys with that hook, very few of them went down the way Khan did.

Ready to get KTFO, he was pretty out of it in all 3 ko losses, I even think I heard in the Klitchko documentary, after the Brewster loss Wlad was taken to the ER because he passed out in his locjer room

As buddyrevell said, he had the discipline and brains to polish up his craft, for all we know he had the glass chin in the heavyweight division
So you're saying you had a view into his head as to what was going on? He met the bell everytime. He wasn't a folding chair.

Had he gotten hurt by Malignaggi then you can make a strong case for a weak chin, he held his own against Judah when he still had something and survived a young and reckless Maidana

Suspect chin at the least, sub par defense and admiring his own art work is what did him in.
He got hurt vs Julio Diaz. Got dropped by Willie Limond. I seem to recall Chris Aglieri wobbling him too.

Do fighters chins "go" in boxing? Seems to happen in MMA a bit, Chuck Liddell is one prime example.

I think Wilder has a weak chin too. He got dropped in the amateurs, which is never a good sign, and rocked by Molina.

Back