Giving Homeless People Money

Back when I was 18, I was filling up my car at the gas station and this homeless mom and young girl, were pushing a shopping cart of cans , ratty clothes. I felt horrible for the young girl so I gave them all the money I had in my pocket, around $60 or so. I felt good until I realized I filled up my car on gas and had no way of paying for it. I thought about asking for a $20 back, but called my dad instead to come and give me some cash for the gas.

I like pay at the pump because I find out if I forgot my wallet before I pump gas. I usually double check my pocket when I get in a vehicle. In many places, you have to pay before they turn on the pump.

I saw a homeless guy smoke 2 cigarettes in 5 minutes the other day. That's what your change is paying for. I've given them food before, and that's basically all I'm willing to give.

The other day when I was driving to work I got to one corner where panhandlers stand at just the right time to see a guy “clocking in.” He jumped out of an almost new minivan.

I've posted before about a local reporter who decided to do a story on the homeless. He wanted to see where one guy who was a regular at a strip mall spent the night. He watched from a distance as the guy walked to a larger mall parking lot and got in a nice car and drove off. The next day the reporter had his car positioned to follow the man. The panhandler drove to 3 different locations picking up a woman and 2 young men then drove to a fairly nice duplex. The reporter checked the areas where the other 3 were picked up and found them also panhandling at strip malls.

tons of homeless belong in institutions and could never acclimate to modern society and are extremely mentally ill, so the get a job bum blanket statement is shit tbh

There was a State mental institution near me and in the late 70s they released a large number of mentally retarded people they thought could function in society. It was a mess and many of their offspring still live in the area.

Most I have ever given anyone has been 50 cents.

There is this youngster who would always ask for money near the metro. He always had the same story of needing some extra change to get home or something. A few days later I saw this guy at the gym running on the treadmill, while watching something on his iphone.

Give if you want to give, or feel it's necessary in that situation. It's up to you. Karma doesn't exist in the way many people like to believe and hope it does.

The only time I haven’t given someon
But you are criticizing him for taking actions based on his assumptions of them while you then do the exact same thing in giving them money based on your assumption of them.

No, I am not. I am criticizing him for throwing out the baby with the bath water. Just because some are addicts, doesn’t give one license to say they are justified in giving none of them money. It’s like the tipping threads where everyone talks about how tipping is stupid and how they don’t tip just on principle. Really, they’re just cheap sons of bitches and have found a justification for not tipping that makes them feel good.

In Toronto I've been asked endlessly for 'money for food' or 'money for the subway'. When I have said no and offered to buy them food instead or offered to use a subway token to get them into the subway i've been declined way more than its been accepted.

That said i have bought a lot of meals over the years.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I think you are enabling. It gives you and others a temporary 'I did something' feel good high but you don't want to consider how those type of actions may end up keeping people on the street longer than they otherwise might be.

Yeah, because it will be much easier for them to get off the street with no money.

"It’s like the tipping threads where everyone talks about how tipping is stupid and how they don’t tip just on principle. Really, they’re just cheap sons of bitches and have found a justification for not tipping that makes them feel good."

Not a fair analogy....non-tippers (in the US) really are cheap bastards, but one's position on the beggar issue hinges upon their fiscal political beliefs, and it seems you are projecting yours.

No, I am not. I am criticizing him for throwing out the baby with the bath water. Just because some are addicts, doesn’t give one license to say they are justified in giving none of them money.
Well you don't have to be justified to not give others your money. And if you believe or worry you MIGHT be contributing to the very serious and ever present drug and substance abuse problems of street people that is valid even if another person who is not you disagrees.

It’s like the tipping threads where everyone talks about how tipping is stupid and how they don’t tip just on principle. Really, they’re just cheap sons of bitches and have found a justification for not tipping that makes them feel good.
NO its really not. I agree re the tipping but I am someone who will no longer give cash to any homeless person but i buy quite a few meals for them. I also volunteer and go serve food at the local homeless shelter here at least once a month. But I won't give cash because i know the extent of the substance abuse and i know the odds are very good I would be enabling and that is enough reason for me.

You a person, who is not me, can be comfortable with the gamble that you are not enabling substance abuse and that is ok, but you should not think others have to have the same view.

Well you don't have to be justified to not give others your money.

Exactly right. But nobody wants to say “I don’t give them money because i’m a stingy asshole. I still wouldn’t like that, but it’s better than this bullshit justification that you’re somehow doing them more harm by enabling them.

Exactly right. But nobody wants to say “I don’t give them money because i’m a stingy asshole. I still wouldn’t like that, but it’s better than this bullshit justification that you’re somehow doing them more harm by enabling them.
I'll just say it again that I likely give a lot more to homeless by buying them food and in terms of time (local food bank, shelter) but I won't give cash. Not because I am cheap but because I don't like the odds with regards to the amount of substance abuse in the homeless and the chance I will contribute to their problems.

I'll just say it again that I likely give a lot more to homeless by buying them food and in terms of time (local food bank, shelter) but I won't give cash. Not because I am cheap but because I don't like the odds with regards to the amount of substance abuse in the homeless and the chance I will contribute to their problems.

Yeah, but my comments were not about you, were they.

I read them as against anyone who says they won't give cash to the homeless.

Anyone who doesn’t give cash to the homeless but gives a lot to charities helping the homeless wouldnhave specified that when they posted about not giving cash to the homeless, as you did. So yes, in general terms, I am talking about those people. You being the exception.

Anyone who doesn’t give cash to the homeless but gives a lot to charities helping the homeless wouldnhave specified that when they posted about not giving cash to the homeless, as you did. So yes, in general terms, I am talking about those people. You being the exception.
Ok sure.

But others can have the same belief or fear that I do, that in giving cash there is a high chance you are giving it some one with substance abuse problems and therefore enabling them and contributing to their problems and possibly even setting them back in their treatments if they are accepting agency help. They can share that belief even if they do not buy them meals or donate time at a shelter.

But ya probably a good percent are just cheap or mean or overly judgemental.

Ok sure.

But others can have the same belief or fear that I do, that in giving cash there is a high chance you are giving it some one with substance abuse problems and therefore enabling them and contributing to their problems and possibly even setting them back in their treatments if they are accepting agency help. They can share that belief even if they do not buy them meals or donate time at a shelter.

But ya probably a good percent are just cheap or mean or overly judgemental.

That is again assuming every one of them has a substance abuse problem. Many do. But that doesn’t mean every penny of the money they get will be spent on drugs or booze. Some of it will go to food and water. How do I know that? Because they are still alive.

And the worst thing that could happen is they buy more of the drugs they have been using - another day of substance abuse. The worst thing that could happen if you refuse to give any of them money is that someone who is homeless, through no fault of their own, could go hungry yet another day. I’ll take the former.

BTW, how many people who are not homeless do you think abuse some kind of drugs anyway? I’m betting it is at least 75% of the population. And yes, drinking every fucking night counts as abuse.

There are homeless people near where I live so I see the same homeless guys every day or so. I've give a couple bucks to the ones thst I know don't act like assholes and get aggressive and motherfuck people who tell them no.

If they come up to my car and knock on the glass or something that's a hard no for me.

Around Christmas I usually spread around about $100 in 20s just because it's Christmas and it makes their day.

That is again assuming every one of them has a substance abuse problem. Many do. But that doesn’t mean every penny of the money they get will be spent on drugs or booze. Some of it will go to food and water. How do I know that? Because they are still alive.

And the worst thing that could happen is they buy more of the drugs they have been using - another day of substance abuse. The worst thing that could happen if you refuse to give any of them money is that someone who is homeless, through no fault of their own, could go hungry yet another day. I’ll take the former.

BTW, how many people who are not homeless do you think abuse some kind of drugs anyway? I’m betting it is at least 75% of the population. And yes, drinking every fucking night counts as abuse.
No i don't have to assume everyone for that to be true.

You could put 10 people in front of me. Let me know that 3 of them have self control and compulsion problems as drug addicts and are in treatment trying to manage it and the other 7 are ok.

I still then would not want to hand CASH to them out of the risk of it getting into the guys hands who has the compulsion issues and ME BEING THE ONE RESPONSIBLE for him falling off the wagon.

So many of the people who beat these compulsions talk about how they had to be go through that tough withdrawal, hit rock bottom and then clean up. If every day people are giving them money and enabling them to continue their habit and never bottom out you can be the ones prolonging their addiction and problem indefinitely. It is entirely possible, in Toronto anyway to beg enough money daily to sustain a good drug addiction where you always meet your needs.

I am not comfortable being that enabler guy, even if there is a chance I might miss the guy with the additions. There are lots of services in most cities for the non-drug addict, non mentally ill or other person, to take advantage of where they can get help, clothes, meals and job access if they want it and that type of person, who is not begging for an addiction is the type who would be more likely to seek out those services to begin with.

Back