Giving Homeless People Money

Big Al's Texas BBQ

Sorry, no tortilla!
@Black
Reaction score
Earlier today, an older man walked up to me and asked if I can give him $10. He looked homeless, but I don't remember if he told me he was. Long story short, he said he's an army vet suffering from combat PTSD and needed the money for a 60-mile bus ride. The man started to get emotional when he talked about how shitty the past day or two has been for him. Now, the story was depressing and I believe more likely than not, he was telling the truth. However, I always try to be a little skeptical about these kinds of things. Also, maybe I'm just a cheap piece of shit, but $10 isn't something I like to give away to some stranger. I ended up only giving him $1. What do you think? Should I have just given him $10? What are your personal experiences with this?

Might as well have set it on fire

I stopped giving people money years ago.

I never give them anything.

Just a guess, but I would estimate the 'I'm stranded and I need the money for a long bus ride' story has been used approximately 10,000 times as complete bullshit by homeless drunks & junkies, for every 1 time it was an actual honest person in that situation.

I probably would have bought him the bus ticket, but maybe I'm a sucker.

I'm actually surprised by how many people are saying I shouldn't have given anything. lol

lol opie seems cheap. whats $10? id give it to him, and not care what he does with it. so long as the homeless arent an asshole to me, ill give out money.

lol opie seems cheap. whats $10? id give it to him, and not care what he does with it. so long as the homeless arent an asshole to me, ill give out money.

You're part of the problem!

You feel bad about it now, when you couldve felt good about it. Money comes and goes in comparison to the chance to dole out some spontaneous kindness and generosity. Even if he was valor stealing junkie, who gives a shit? You wouldve made his day and in my experience gratitude is strongest when giving to those with nothing.

I give a lot of people a dollar or two when I'm out. Maybe I'm contributing to the problem. Im ok with that. If I help 1 out of 5, .that's good enough for me.

Though I don't knock those who cannot do the same.

More than likely he was lying because there are programs for military vets who are homeless where they will take care of them, hence the term we take care of our own.

Even still the right thing to do is to give money if you can.

It is written to give to the poor to help those inflicted.

About 10 years ago some nasty chick came up to me at a gas station and started talking to me. She told me she'd "fuck for a buck" and show me her body for money.

I told her I wasnt interested. I remembered she went to my high school and we started talking and I tried helping her and talking to her knowing she was going to use it for drugs in an attempt to help her.

She called me a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and left lol

But this chick was known for blowing 5 black dudes at 1 time in high school and now shes selling her body for money. Thank God I wasnt drunk ;)

Back