Give the doctor a damn towel!

Towels don't get thrown on bodyshots for this reason

Hate or love it
View attachment 488969
It wasn't only the body shot. Hooker was getting beat everywhere and it was turning out to be a prolonged beating. The Drago vs Smith fight was actually a little competitive and that body shot was just one shot, not many like the Hooker fight.

Boxing stops fights way quicker in those situations. If the Hooker fight was a boxing match it would've been stopped sooner. Not sure what's the problem with the refs in MMA. The point is, if the corner or the ref won't stop the fight when a fighter is defenseless and taking serious damage, there should be a third option.
Nah, they need to decide if mma is a sport with rules or a bloody show. I would prefer the second, so is Dana White, but you can't have people getting killed on tv nowadays.

Maybe the doctor has a nasty hooker habit and had big money on hooker

It's on the corner.

No iffs, no butts, the blame lays with them 100%.

They know their fighter, they are charged with looking after them.

Give the commentator's towels. They seem to know when a fight should be stopped more then the Ref, or the fighters Corner.

I think the doctor already has the authority to stop a fight mid-round, at least in some jurisdictions. Although I can't cite you a specific rule, I've seen it happen in boxing and don't see why that rule would be different in MMA.

You can't even throw a towel in mma.

It's a foul for throwing things in the ring not an admission of defeat.

Give the commentator's towels. They seem to know when a fight should be stopped more then the Ref, or the fighters Corner.
This is totally true because they are trained to know when a fight should be stopped but aren't invested in the fight other than watching it

This is totally true because they are trained to know when a fight should be stopped but aren't invested in the fight other than watching it
It was more of a joke but now that im thinking more about it, I think there should be analyst, possibly two that could agree to throw a towel in if the Ref or Corner doesn't. Yes i know people are saying the corner can't throw in a towel, but thats just absurd that the only person that can is a Ref. Maybe the Analyst could tell a Ref to stop a fight via earpiece in a case like this.

That's ref's job first and foremost. Doctor can stop the fight only when inside the cage.
Doctor has to asses the damage first, in order to stop the fight while the fight is on hold or in between the rounds.
Referee is the one with the power to stop or pause the fight and call doctor in.

It wasn't one body shot that was the problem, it was the accumulation of shots to the body and the head that Hooker wasn't able to defend

Yeah I know but people don't throw towels in because they think this will happen or can happen even though it won't ..is my point I'm talking about corners or fan perceptions

hookers corner probably shaved off 5 years off his career.
even barbazo tried to soften his blows.
hooker will never be the same fighter again.

Or at least to wipe the fighter's face like they do in PRIDE FC, RIZIN, etc.

Give the doctor a towel to do the referee's job?
Yeah, if the corner or the ref won't do it. The corner thinks they and their fighter are too tough to quit ever, the ref is terrified of making the wrong decision and getting dragged for it or not getting another job so as a last resort, the ringside physician should be given the power to stop the fight also

For situations like Hooker/Barboza or Velasquez/Dos Santos when one fighter is basically defenseless and is taking a prolonged, unnecessary, and brutal beating on the feet and for whatever fucked up reason, the corner or the ref does not step in to stop the fight. I don't expect a warrior like Dan Hooker to quit on the stool but if his own corner or the ref won't take steps to protect the fighter, maybe the ringside doctor who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to protect life will throw the towel when everyone else is too corner-tough or afraid of criticism to do so. Remember when Nick Diaz threw the towel for his brother? that was the right thing to do.

I'm with you TS. They can tell there are neurological symptoms setting in and there is nothing to justify battering the head and body of a person who's becoming sick.

The doctor needs to have some say. But the first time I saw this was with Hooker. I think the Cain-JDS fight, JDS was in there, he was fine.

But Hooker was tripping on himself, said "2019" to the year question, didn't sit on the stool. That was ridiculous.

This kind of shit can get MMA banned in some states. It just can't happen.

JUST BLEEEDDDDD!

Serious tho, something needs to be done.

Towels don't get thrown on bodyshots for this reason

Hate or love it
View attachment 488969
Right, also why the ref did nothing wrong hooker was throwing big shots right till the end. The corner could be faulted for not saying their guys done. But in mma a standing compitant fighter shouldn't be stopped. The ref also stopped it immediately as hooker hit the ground too zero gnp allowed. Yet people are shiting on some A plus mma reffing.

Back