Give the doctor a damn towel!

Captain Herb

10000 Likes
@Silver
Reaction score
For situations like Hooker/Barboza or Velasquez/Dos Santos when one fighter is basically defenseless and is taking a prolonged, unnecessary, and brutal beating on the feet and for whatever fucked up reason, the corner or the ref does not step in to stop the fight. I don't expect a warrior like Dan Hooker to quit on the stool but if the ref or even his own corner won't take steps to protect the fighter, maybe the ringside doctor who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to protect human life will throw the damn towel when everyone else is too corner-tough or afraid of criticism to do so. Remember when Nick Diaz threw the towel for his brother? that was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Nah man.

Edit: Reasoning is that a doctor would advise against fighting in the first place and you would get many towels being thrown for nothing.

Why would the doctor give a shit? He let it go at the end of r2.

If a fighter get fucked up then they go and see a doctor and the doctor gets paid.
If a fighter gets fucked up then that's no money for their trainer/corner etc, they should give a shit and throw in the towel/stop it.

That is not their job.
They have to make sure the person is not injured. But taking a beating does not qualify as such. The prof is that the doctor did hee him between rounds 2 and 3 and let the fight continue.

Besides, if you really wish for them to uphold their "Hippocratic Oath", then they should throw in the towel before the first punch is thrown.

I'm not sure most ringside docs have the training to recognize the point at which when a fighter can't defend themselves - that's more in the purview of the ref. It might put the doctor in an awkward situation.

The doctor?

That fight was all on Hookers team. Not too long ago Lauzon corner stopped the fight & I applaud them for that. Hooker is young in the UFC and he's still got a career to work on.

For situations like Hooker/Barboza or Velasquez/Dos Santos when one fighter is basically defenseless and is taking a prolonged, unnecessary, and brutal beating on the feet and for whatever fucked up reason, the corner or the ref does not step in to stop the fight. I don't expect a warrior like Dan Hooker to quit on the stool but if his own corner or the ref won't take steps to protect the fighter, maybe the ringside doctor who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to protect life will throw the towel when everyone else is too corner-tough or afraid of criticism to do so. Remember when Nick Diaz threw the towel for his brother? that was the right thing to do.
Dr can stop the fight between rounds which is fine...Blame the corner..

No need to invent the wheel. Referee should make such decisions. Just like McGregor was saved against Floyd.

Doctor doesn't have a towel but has the power to stop the fight at any time I believe. He just doesn't have a towel. I believe the doctor signals the ref and the ref calls it I could be extremely wrong tho

For situations like Hooker/Barboza or Velasquez/Dos Santos when one fighter is basically defenseless and is taking a prolonged, unnecessary, and brutal beating on the feet and for whatever fucked up reason, the corner or the ref does not step in to stop the fight. I don't expect a warrior like Dan Hooker to quit on the stool but if his own corner or the ref won't take steps to protect the fighter, maybe the ringside doctor who has taken a Hippocratic Oath to protect life will throw the towel when everyone else is too corner-tough or afraid of criticism to do so. Remember when Nick Diaz threw the towel for his brother? that was the right thing to do.

Then you'd never get a fight.

Going by the Oath, the money ANY contact was made, they'd be obligated to throw the towel in

No need to invent the wheel. Referee should make such decisions. Just like McGregor was saved against Floyd.
Boxing stops fights way quicker in those situations. If the Hooker fight was a boxing match it would've been stopped sooner. Not sure what's the problem with the refs in MMA. The point is, if the corner or the ref won't stop the fight when a fighter is defenseless and taking serious damage, there should be a third option.

Towels don't get thrown on bodyshots for this reason

Hate or love it
NextAngelicDesertpupfish-max-1mb.gif

Then you'd never get a fight.

Going by the Oath, the money ANY contact was made, they'd be obligated to throw the towel in
Lol OK, but let's just pretend that the doctor is down with the fight until there is TOO much damage to a defenseless fighter

Dr can stop the fight between rounds which is fine...Blame the corner..
Ya I agree it's absolutely on the corner to throw in the towel in these situations. I think because there have been some crazy comebacks in MMA fights that corners are hoping for a miracle. I would like to see the towel thrown in for fights where it looks like a fighter is being dominated and has little to no chance of winning. No point in taking unnecessary injurys

Give dana a towel.

Lets see how much he really cares about fighter safety

I think the doctor already has the authority to stop a fight mid-round, at least in some jurisdictions. Although I can't cite you a specific rule, I've seen it happen in boxing and don't see why that rule would be different in MMA.

Back