Give me your top five styles for kicking.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Mine.

1. Muay thai
2. Taekwondo
3. Kyokushin karate
4. Savate
5. Nothern style kung fu

I wanted to put capoeira in there. But i cant because they hit just air most of the time. I aldo did not put dutch kickboxing there because most guys dont have alot different kicks.

Let me see your list.

Yellow Bamboo
Rex Kwon Do
Human Stun Gun
Kiai Master
Wing Chun

I remember watching a vid once where they compared the amount of power outputted by different martial artists. From memory, they did it on an unstable platform. The capoeira kicks were the most powerful. It looked like this was the case because the threw their entire body weight into it.

One of my old gyms went to the Australia Institute of Sport with a bunch of other martial arts schools. They allowed a bunch of the athletes to throw their hardest kicks into a pad and measured the force. Each martial artist was free to use which ever kick they wanted. The hardest kicker out of all of them was a relatively light Taekwondo practitioner with a spinning back thrust kick.

These cases were addressing sheer power and not the applicability of the kicks to a dynamic opponent. Knowing how to throw them from different positions, to specific accurate targets, and how to defend throughout the attack is still very important. Most of us on this forum would have experiences where out hardest kicks were nullified because our opponent jammed the kick or absorbed with our structure, but kicking someone in the right place, at the right target, and at the right time produced a very strong effect despite the actual kick being less powerful.

The list will vary depending on what you're looking for in kicks of course. I'm mostly an mma guy, so I'll list them in terms of best for mma.

1. Sanda: no other kicking style allows as many takedowns as sanda. They're the best in the world at kicking without being taken down as a result.

2. Muay Thai: everybody knows why.

3: TKD: extremely diverse arsenal of versatile kicks. Also after practicing for full contact these guys tend to turn into stupidly hard kickers (Pettis, Yair).

4. KK: Tempted to put this above TKD. Not sure why I'm not actually.

5. Turkish oil wrestling

I've seen great kickers from tang soo do, tkd,karate, muay thai, sanda, savate,

1. Soccer.
2. Rugby.
3. Sparta (this is).
4. Lui Kang.
5. This guy:
200.gif

Goju Ryu deserves a mention.

Fast, versatile and pretty powerful. Once I kicked both legs from under this guy...that ended his fighting me intentions instantly.

I like Muay Thai power, the problem in mma is that if you fail, the momentum from the kick puts your back at the opponent, I prefer not to throw that much horizontal but rather at 45 degree to the sciatic nerve

Nice kick! No lean back. That is what impress me about the good kickers on kyokushin

Nice kick! No lean back. That is what impress me about the good kickers on kyokushin
He certainly put the "SHIN" in KyokuSHIN. ;)

Here's a really nice lowkick faint into highkick KO in one fluid move. Watch the hip!

giphy.gif

1. Joe Rogan
2. Joe Rogan
3. Joe Rogan
4. Cro Cop
5. Joe Rogan

Honorable mention:

giphy.gif

He certainly put the "SHIN" in KyokuSHIN. ;)

Here's a really nice lowkick faint into highkick KO in one fluid move. Watch the hip!

giphy.gif
is that a regular crescent kick? the trajectory looks a little different.

@Hotora86

Isn't this a front kick feint? (It seems also the reaction of his opponent is to block a front kick with his left hand). Or is he aiming at the inside of the back leg of his opponent?

@Hotora86

Isn't this a front kick feint? (It seems also the reaction of his opponent is to block a front kick with his left hand). Or is he aiming at the inside of the back leg of his opponent?
His hip in the very beginning suggests an inside low kick to my eye but I may be wrong. Would have to see the entire body and in slo mo to be 100% sure. Either way it's a great set up, isn't it? :)

is it bad to lean back? i see alot of people do it, like superfoot wallace. how do you do that?
If you look closely you can actually see him leaning to his right. Just like with punching, you want to maintain you center and balance when throwing kicks. To maintain your center it would be ideal to never lean while throwing a kick(This is were leg conditioning and flexibility come into play). However the higher you kick the more difficult it becomes to not have some kind of upper body tilt. As you mentioned even bill Wallace leans when he throws those high kicks.

If you look closely you can actually see him leaning to his right. Just like with punching, you want to maintain you center and balance when throwing kicks. To maintain your center it would be ideal to never lean while throwing a kick(This is were leg conditioning and flexibility come into play). However the higher you kick the more difficult it becomes to not have some kind of upper body tilt. As you mentioned even bill Wallace leans when he throws those high kicks.
yeah I lean like mad.

is that a regular crescent kick? the trajectory looks a little different.

No its not a cresent kick. Ive seen all kinds of different names for it .

When i did TKD it was called and inverted kick ive heard it called and inverted round house. You land it with your instep as opposed to the outside edges of the foot with a crescent kick

Back