Give me some guitarists and performances to study for my lead guitar playing

This Chick's playing is - Technically great but a bit academic? Maybe lacks feeling and soul?

Still gives me the strangest boner doh!

Meh, doesn't bother me.

It shows that He's not doing it for the fame, since few people know what he actually looks like. I respect that. He still has his anonymity so he can lead a normal life.

Buckethead's name and image are memorable. Brian Patrick Carrol's name and image aren't memorable. Lots of talented musicians get overlooked because they don't fit a certain image.

He doesn't have tattoos or piercings, he doesn't dress fashionably. He doesn't make media appearances. He doesn't worry about any of that shit. He just wears a mask and a bucket instead... tbh I think he has the right idea. Also I'm pretty sure he's socially awkward and just likes jamming non-stop

He just makes music and plays. He's the perfect example of a musician that's solely in it for the music. He's released almost 200 albums.

I wish he didn't give KFC free advertising though

He's not doing it for the fame? I don't know enough about him, but usually when guys have a gimmick like that, or dressing in matching jump suits and clown costumes, or anything I would consider a gimmick, it is usually expressly for the fame.

Listen to the entire "fair warning" album by van halen.

It is a master class in rhythm and lead playing as well as showing the importance of setting up a solo and how to get back into the song after the solo.

Listen to it on headphones.

Watching people cover songs on youtube helps in learning because you get the benefit of seeing them do it.

Last edited:
He's not doing it for the fame? I don't know enough about him, but usually when guys have a gimmick like that, or dressing in matching jump suits and clown costumes, or anything I would consider a gimmick, it is usually expressly for the fame.

If you wanted to be famous would you hide your face every time you were on a stage in front of big crowds? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being famous?

It's not like he walks around wearing the costume looking for attention. He only wears it on stage then he hides himself away from the media the rest of the time. Those are not the actions of someone that's looking for fame.

If you wanted to be famous would you hide your face every time you were on a stage in front of big crowds? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being famous?

It's not like he walks around wearing the costume looking for attention. He only wears it on stage then he hides himself away from the media the rest of the time. Those are not the actions of someone that's looking for fame.

Daft Punk is a good example of this as well. I already liked them and consider their "Pyramid" show I saw at Lollapalooza in 2006 to be one of the top tier concert experiences I've had. But then last year I saw the documentary, "Daft Punk Unchained" about the trajectory of their entire career and it gave me a much deeper respect for what they do. (Not exactly guitar thread subject matter but I recommend that documentary to anyone that's even mildly interested in Daft Punk.)

They've been anonymous artists by design so they can walk down the street and lead normal lives. They want their music to be the focal point, not themselves as individuals. It's not about being a star so much as delivering an experience to others through their productions.

I don't know what he does in his off time. But yes, gimmicks are usually intended to give you an onstage persona so that people recognize you when you get on stage. Shit, I doubt many people would remember who he was if his name was Joe Anderson and he just went up on stage dressed like a normal person.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Kenny is the one with blonde hair and the black coat.

Get into Children of Bodom. Alexi Laiho uses some combination of every technique there is.

I love Buckethead and my user name is even a tribute to him. The stories people have told about Buckethead have been insane. The guy is a legit weirdo which I dig.

Here is a great video of Brain Mantia, drummer for Primus and Buckethead, and probably the one guy who has gotten to know Buckethead more than anyone else, talking about him:

However, to get back on topic, I would also suggest John 5. The guy has done everything from country to heavy metal to flamenco. Dude has played for KD Lang and Marilyn Manson.

Not a big shredder myself, but I did like to listen to David Glimour's leads and learn them back in the day.

Not real technical, but very tasteful and fun to learn.

this something i'm looking at

You like Vai you should check out G3 and all those guitarists involved with that gig.Joe Satriani started it i believe with Vai and maybe Eric Johnson.I know they did tour @ one point but there are dozens of others encompassing the gigs they've performed as well.From the three listed to Yngwie,Gary Hoey,Neil Schon etc.Check out G3 and you'll have lessons for a lifetime m8.Cheers.

You like Vai you should check out G3 and all those guitarists involved with that gig.Joe Satriani started it i believe with Vai and maybe Eric Johnson.I know they did tour @ one point but there are dozens of others encompassing the gigs they've performed as well.From the three listed to Yngwie,Gary Hoey,Neil Schon etc.Check out G3 and you'll have lessons for a lifetime m8.Cheers.
yeah i saw a performance of vai with zappa that was prety sweet. I'll check out Joe's early stuff cause I heard that before and it sounded sick. surfing with an alien i think its called.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm 28 and I've been playing guitar for about 11 years. I'm a pretty good melodic player. I'm mostly influenced by television and have gotten pretty good at that lyrical improvisational style. However, Over the past 5 years I've gotten into hard rock and old school metal even though it was something I didnt really know how to do. So far I want to figure out dazed and confused by led zep. Some guitarists I dig are jeff beck, roy buchanan, and some zappa. However I really want to learn that rock n roll style where people shred and rock out. Any ideas that would help me be a better rock guitarist? any specific techniques? I want to play hard and fast. Thanks :)

check out ron jarzombek. his work with gordian knot is amazing stuff. for an example, check out his solo at 5:20. you may enjoy this:

to add to my previous post, here is someone on youtube who covers the solo. when you see how much it takes to play it, you really admire it even more:

Steve Stevens goes over a ton of styles and tones on one guitar.

Back