Give me some guitarists and performances to study for my lead guitar playing

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm 28 and I've been playing guitar for about 11 years. I'm a pretty good melodic player. I'm mostly influenced by television and have gotten pretty good at that lyrical improvisational style. However, Over the past 5 years I've gotten into hard rock and old school metal even though it was something I didnt really know how to do. So far I want to figure out dazed and confused by led zep. Some guitarists I dig are jeff beck, roy buchanan, and some zappa. However I really want to learn that rock n roll style where people shred and rock out. Any ideas that would help me be a better rock guitarist? any specific techniques? I want to play hard and fast. Thanks :)

Paul Gilberts playing in the early Mr Big stuff, both melodic and shreddy at times.

It would be so much easier to respect this guy if he didn't, you know, where a fucking bucket on his head and call himself bucket head.

Meh, doesn't bother me.

It shows that He's not doing it for the fame, since few people know what he actually looks like. I respect that. He still has his anonymity so he can lead a normal life.

Buckethead's name and image are memorable. Brian Patrick Carrol's name and image aren't memorable. Lots of talented musicians get overlooked because they don't fit a certain image.

He doesn't have tattoos or piercings, he doesn't dress fashionably. He doesn't make media appearances. He doesn't worry about any of that shit. He just wears a mask and a bucket instead... tbh I think he has the right idea. Also I'm pretty sure he's socially awkward and just likes jamming non-stop

He just makes music and plays. He's the perfect example of a musician that's solely in it for the music. He's released almost 200 albums.

I wish he didn't give KFC free advertising though

Paul Gilberts playing in the early Mr Big stuff, both melodic and shreddy at times.
Earlier & better(for pure guitar shred fest) would be Racer X with Paul Gilbert & Bruce Bouillet

any specific techniques I should look into. So far I'm working on hammer on's and pull offs. Any good scales to learn?

He doesn't have tattoos or piercings, he doesn't dress fashionably. He doesn't make media appearances. He doesn't worry about any of that shit. He just wears a mask and a bucket instead... tbh I think he has the right idea. Also I'm pretty sure he's socially awkward and just likes jamming non-stop

In 2004 Buckethead opened for Umphrey's McGee in Chicago for one of their New Years run shows. I'm friends with UM's merchandising manager and she was tasked with picking Buckethead up from the airport to drive him into the city. Socially awkward is an understatement. She said he had little action figures and toys that he was fidgeting around with in the front seat the entire ride. He barely engaged with her and she said he seemed pretty much like a child, but not in a bad way. He's apparently just a really genuinely weird dude. But he's also brilliant so whatever.

He played an aftershow at a small club after the Umphrey's gig and I got to stand right in front of him and watch him play from about 5 feet away. The stage was only like 2 feet high, if that. He played along solo to a drum track recording. At one point there was a drum solo on the track where he stopped playing and just stood there motionless. It was pretty funny.

He didn't bust out his nunchucks that night but I've seen him do that a couple of times at larger shows. He's not bad with them, it's just another odd, quirky thing about him.

In 2004 Buckethead opened for Umphrey's McGee in Chicago for one of their New Years run shows. I'm friends with UM's merchandising manager and she was tasked with picking Buckethead up from the airport to drive him into the city. Socially awkward is an understatement. She said he had little action figures and toys that he was fidgeting around with in the front seat the entire ride. He barely engaged with her and she said he seemed pretty much like a child, but not in a bad way. He's apparently just a really genuinely weird dude. But he's also brilliant so whatever.

He played an aftershow at a small club after the Umphrey's gig and I got to stand right in front of him and watch him play from about 5 feet away. The stage was only like 2 feet high, if that. He played along solo to a drum track recording. At one point there was a drum solo on the track where he stopped playing and just stood there motionless. It was pretty funny.

He didn't bust out his nunchucks that night but I've seen him do that a couple of times at larger shows. He's not bad with them, it's just another odd, quirky thing about him.

Thanks for sharing that cool story. I'm jealous.

I`m not surprised. He looks like he's trying to smile here, but he's not quite sure how to do it. His natural pose is a cross between standing still, and playing the guitar, look at his hands.
Buckethead+%25281%2529.jpg

Hi guys. I'm 28 and I've been playing guitar for about 11 years. I'm a pretty good melodic player. I'm mostly influenced by television and have gotten pretty good at that lyrical improvisational style. However, Over the past 5 years I've gotten into hard rock and old school metal even though it was something I didnt really know how to do. So far I want to figure out dazed and confused by led zep. Some guitarists I dig are jeff beck, roy buchanan, and some zappa. However I really want to learn that rock n roll style where people shred and rock out. Any ideas that would help me be a better rock guitarist? any specific techniques? I want to play hard and fast. Thanks :)
Did you get a chance to listen to Cacophany yet chara?Racer X?Obviously they're all speed players.Neo-classical speed metal is worth a listen if your trying to expand your playing in the metal/hard rock genre plus every player that your fellow Sherdoggers posted here metal or not are all tops & deserve a listen.You know as well as we do this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as choices but definitely a brilliant start.Enjoy.Cheers! EDIT.....i've been playing for quite some time and because of a fellow sherbro i gave Jack White a real listen and i never had before.Because of that suggestion im now a big fan & without that post Mr. White would of been a castoff and my musical horizon would have been stunted & i would be the lesser man..haha.So you never really know mate.

Did you get a chance to listen to Cacophany yet chara?Racer X?Obviously they're all speed players.Neo-classical speed metal is worth a listen if your trying to expand your playing in the metal/hard rock genre plus every player that your fellow Sherdoggers posted here metal or not are all tops & deserve a listen.You know as well as we do this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as choices but definitely a brilliant start.Enjoy.Cheers! EDIT.....i've been playing for quite some time and because of a fellow sherbro i gave Jack White a real listen and i never had before.Because of that suggestion im now a big fan & without that post Mr. White would of been a castoff and my musical horizon would have been stunted & i would be the lesser man..haha.So you never really know mate.
thanks man. I'm gonna see if I can find some lessons!

The blues aspect of this kinda stuff maybe helpful for Rock n Roll?

Last edited:
Back