Give and get footwork advice

Is this some kind of mating dance lol

But in all seriousness, there are tons of YouTube videos about this subject out there. I promise you you will learn a lot more than the advice given here

I mean yeah, but it's also the fact that we want to get some experts oppinion too.

I'm going to post a video in a couple of days hold up I'm working on a few things.

What do you mean, in the meantime

What are you waiting for, you need lots of help, you shouldnt delay it
I've been nursing a couple injuries. At this point it's a matter of weeks before I'm back at it though.

Yo dawg, ur like Charlie Zelenoff
538.jpg

Yo, where is the advice. No trolling.

Last edited:
Can you post a good example of footwork. Maybe multiple examples

Floyd Mayweather
Vasyl Lomanchenko
Canelo
Golovkin
Rigondeaux
Erilandy Lara
Charlo Brothers
Cotto

All examples of good footwork. But they were each meticulously taught.

Floyd Mayweather
Vasyl Lomanchenko
Canelo
Golovkin
Rigondeaux
Erilandy Lara
Charlo Brothers
Cotto

All examples of good footwork. But they were each meticulously taught.

Looks like igot some homework, all though floyd i believe is basic defensive footwork. Which would be good for anyone whose starting out on learning good footwork.

Looks like igot some homework, all though floyd i believe is basic defensive footwork. Which would be good for anyone whose starting out on learning good footwork.

None of these fighter's are "basic" ...and it's very unlikely that you are going to learn how to do what they do merely by watching them fight. It's like trying to learn chemistry by watching a chemist mix things.

None of these fighter's are "basic" ...and it's very unlikely that you are going to learn how to do what they do merely by watching them fight. It's like trying to learn chemistry by watching a chemist mix things.

What if i study them a lot? I can ask my boxing friends how to do them a bit too, their no floyd mayweather or loma, but they can still help out a little bit.

And i'm not saying i'm going to learn to do it like them but i might be able to learn a little bit.

What if i study them a lot? I can ask my boxing friends how to do them a bit too, their no floyd mayweather or loma, but they can still help out a little bit.

If you have to ask the answer is no.

If you have a ton of experience plus a deep understanding of how the footwork, bio-mechanics, and the style & systems of the fighters in question all go together, you might be able to reverse-engineer parts of their footwork and adapt it to your own needs. You don't have that knowledge & experience, I sure as hell don't have it, and I'm pretty sure you can count the number of people on this forum who do on one hand and have fingers left over.

It's not a matter of I'll just watch & study the footage a bunch of times and imitate what they do, doesn't work that way. You are not them, you don't have their physical attributes, you can't move the way they do until you've conditioned yourself properly. You first need to build a base which allows for a given set of movements, you need the strength, flexibility, and balance to be at a good enough level so that you can actually execute those movements with proper form. It's like thinking you can kick down a banana tree from watching a video of Buakaw when you've been training on weekends for a year and don't even know how to throw a proper kick.

If you have to ask the answer is no.

If you have a ton of experience plus a deep understanding of how the footwork, bio-mechanics, and the style & systems of the fighters in question all go together, you might be able to reverse-engineer parts of their footwork and adapt it to your own needs. You don't have that knowledge & experience, I sure as hell don't have it, and I'm pretty sure you can count the number of people on this forum who do on one hand and have fingers left over.

It's not a matter of I'll just watch & study the footage a bunch of times and imitate what they do, doesn't work that way. You are not them, you don't have their physical attributes, you can't move the way they do until you've conditioned yourself properly. You first need to build a base which allows for a given set of movements, you need the strength, flexibility, and balance to be at a good enough level so that you can actually execute those movements with proper form. It's like thinking you can kick down a banana tree from watching a video of Buakaw when you've been training on weekends for a year and don't even know how to throw a proper kick.

Ok noted.

Alright so anybody who wants to, post a video of your footwork(minimum 1 minute videos). Or on the other hand, respond to someone's footwork video with constructive criticism. That means no trolling or just telling someone they suck without giving any advice. Let's build each other up here. @ironkhan57 already went first, but he can post it again in this thread. Here is mine.

great idea for a thread.

the drills you did looked great, basic foorwork drills, keep drilling them and surely you will improve. I dont have anything to add that hasnt already been mentioned.

Heres mine, see what you guys think. What can be improved and what looks wrong. I honestly thought the side step was wrong. So any advice is appreciated.

I can tell you have been training khan. I see improvements from the last time I saw one of your videos. You also seem fitter. Keep it up. Its not rocket science, as long we keep training, we cant do anything but improve. Having a coach would be your best option, but if you cannot have one, you can teach yourself, it will be a difficult and long road with much slower improvement compared to that of a coach, but it can be done. All fightings styles ever created, were at one point and time in history self taught. I have self taught myself quite a few things from studying fights, but as auries mentioned, it requires a more in depth understanding than most beginners have.

constructive criticism. That means no trolling or just telling someone they suck without giving any advice.

lets all keep this in mind guys. Theres only a handful of people here that have been willing to put themselves out there with an actual video of themselves. This place is great and lots of knowledge can be shared and learned when we all operate as a team rather than against each other. Its great to see everyone improving.

Later on today I'll record a video executing some footwork maneuvers I learned through the years. Lots of ideas both for boxing and muay thai.

@dudeguyman and @ironkhan : be mindful of initiating the steps with the feet that is closer to where you wanna go. You both know it, I can tell, but sometimes got caught in momentum and do those little hops.

I've read in a @Sinister thread (which I don't remember exactly the name) these wise words:
DO: step and slide
DON'T: jump and run

Back