Ginseng

LatFlare

EADC
@Black
Reaction score
Anyone use this? What are your thoughts on it?

I'm running a marathon next week and was going to take a packet of No Doz caffeine pills bur I saw some Endura Overtraining formula in a supp shop and it basically 100% ginseng and designed for endurance events, so I'm wondering if its worthwhile.

Have you ever used this or something similar? How did it go?

never taken ginseng just ginger and turmeric tea when I'm sick...
coffee is good enough for me caffeine wise...

good ole wikipedia says that ginseng is a stimulant, and might help with respiratory illnesses
however it also states some side effects...maybe try some to see how it affects you?

I ate some fresh ginseng for a while, can't say i noticed a difference..

Ginseng is effective but good ginseng is not cheap.

the endura capsules are $30 for a little bottle, so maybe $1 a cap.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24004049

Protective effects against hepatic ischemic / reperfusion injuries. Rat model.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23973636

American ginseng reduced arterial stiffness in type 2 diabetes patients. Human clinical data.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23963977

Exploring mechanism of action of anti fatigue properties of panax ginseng extracts in chronic fatigue in a mouse model. Subjects improved their swim endurance test performance and experienced reduced mitochondrial damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23924778

Panax ginseng extracts significantly reduce post operative fatigue in rats with fatigue induced by major small intestinal resection.

"The potent anti-fatigue effect of GRb1 on POFS might be achieved through improvement of energy metabolism and suppression of skeletal muscle oxidative stress."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23875898

American ginseng prevents hyper glycemia and pancreatic abnormalities in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Mouse model used to confirm empirical clinical data in humans.

"These data indicate that NAG (north American ginseng) possibly causes regeneration of β-cells resulting in enhanced insulin secretion. On the other hand, in type 2 diabetes, the additional effects of NAG on body weight might have also resulted in improved glucose control."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23853057

American ginseng improves symptoms of cancer related fatigue, randomized double blind human trial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23835558

Ginseng exhibits anti inflammatory effects on osteoarthritis patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23727921

Comparison of total extract of Korean ginseng to polysaccharide fraction in the mitigation of H1N1 influenza.

"Mice received total extract of Korean red ginseng (RG), and polysaccharide and saponin fractions of Korean RG, orally for 14 d prior to influenza A virus infection. Seventy eight percent of mice infected with 2

Having used it, what I noticed was this (results will vary based off the person): Ginseng, as opposed to straight caffeine, seemed to give me a more mild energy source for a more prolonged period. If I had to equate the difference, it'd be like the difference between DMAA (which I would highly recommend for endurance events if you can still get your hands on it) vs. ephedra...both are heavy stimulants, but the immediate body reaction is very different.

BUT: (and I just re-read the original post)...if you are a week out, don't screw with anything new, very little good will come of it. Just make sure you are hydrated, have a high level of electrolytes in your body, and are replenishing with a carbohydrate/electrolyte drink while performing the run...gatorade is good, pedialyte is better.

As covered above, most of the benefits from ginseng are with long term daily use.

Ginseng is not a CNS stimulant in the way that caffeine, ephedra, or meth are.

Ephedra is actually a piss poor choice for athletes because while it is a CNS stimulant it is also a diuretic and diaphoretic (significantly increases fluid loss via urine and sweat) and it has a known tendency to cause irregular heartbeat in a dose dependent fashion. If this is combined with strenuous exercise it can even be fatal as the fluid loss and subsequent electrolyte imbalance coupled with the increased heart rate and blood pressure from the exercise and the tendency of the herb to generate irregular heartbeat conspire to lead towards a cardiovascular event.

This is essentially what happened in the case of the MLB player who died with ephedra in his system (though he also had prescription speed and other drugs in his system as well) which led to the FDA ban.

BUT: (and I just re-read the original post)...if you are a week out, don't screw with anything new, very little good will come of it. Just make sure you are hydrated, have a high level of electrolytes in your body, and are replenishing with a carbohydrate/electrolyte drink while performing the run...gatorade is good, pedialyte is better.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking, since I won't be doing any more long training runs it'll be impossible to gauge how I will react, benefit, or detriment.

I think electrolyte loading and caffeine pills will do the job.

As covered above, most of the benefits from ginseng are with long term daily use.

Ginseng is not a CNS stimulant in the way that caffeine, ephedra, or meth are.

Ephedra is actually a piss poor choice for athletes because while it is a CNS stimulant it is also a diuretic and diaphoretic (significantly increases fluid loss via urine and sweat) and it has a known tendency to cause irregular heartbeat in a dose dependent fashion. If this is combined with strenuous exercise it can even be fatal as the fluid loss and subsequent electrolyte imbalance coupled with the increased heart rate and blood pressure from the exercise and the tendency of the herb to generate irregular heartbeat conspire to lead towards a cardiovascular event.

This is essentially what happened in the case of the MLB player who died with ephedra in his system (though he also had prescription speed and other drugs in his system as well) which led to the FDA ban.

Cheers, great research mate. It looks like there are more long term medical treatment applications, as opposed to acute performance benefits, with this stuff.

Ginseng

Species

Panax chinensis: includes Chinese ginseng and Korean ginseng

Panax quinquefolius: American Ginseng

"Siberian ginseng" is not ginseng. It is Eleuthuro senticossus, and is not very closely related at all. It has some shared properties but is a different herb entirely and looks quite different.

Varieties: sometimes ginseng will be described as red or white. White ginseng was cleaned, steamed, and dried after collection. Red ginseng is treated the same way, but other herbs (often considered to be fiery in nature) are added during the steaming process which darkens the color of the root to a ruddy brown. Generally red ginseng is considered to be warmer and more strongly energizing. White ginseng is better in Yin deficiency patterns where excessive heat could aggravate things. Either species can be prepared "red" or "white".

Grading: roots are generally graded by age and size / thickness. Ginseng is very expensive for two main reasons. #1, wild ginseng is very rare and will generally command higher prices than a farm raised root of the same age and similar weight. #2, cultivated ginseng takes a long time to grow. Ginseng roots need to be a minimum of 6 years old to be viable as an herb for human consumption. Prices increase dramatically as age goes up (100+ year old wild roots sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction) but even for a farm raised crop harvested at 6 years of age the investment of time required to bring a crop to market is outstanding. It's not like an orchard that takes 6 years to be viable and then spits out fruit. It's 6 years of waiting and then you dig up the roots and that's it, one harvest and start again. And you can't even use that field again right away, it has to go fallow. Ginseng is notorious for sucking nutrients out of the soil.

Classical properties: Chinese ginseng is considered to be a lung and spleen qi tonic (an important note here, the traditional Chinese medicine concept of the spleen is more akin to a meta organ that includes the physical spleen and the pancreas and is ultimately considered to rule over all digestion much like the pancreas does).

Essentially this means that it's really good for strengthening respiratory, digestive, and overall metabolic function. It's excellent for immune health (which is intimately related to the lungs and GI tract which are the major sites of immune activity because the outside world is contacting the inside of the body in these two systems), it is a premium herb for endurance and stamina (coming off of the respiratory and metabolic benefits), and it also has a host of other beneficial properties which tend to fall within those patterns.

Now American ginseng is considered to be very similar to Chinese ginseng in strength and properties with the difference being that it is more Yin (and thus it is more appropriate for patients who become overheated or agitated easily, it is more strongly moistening, etc) and more cooling in nature.

Korean ginseng is exactly the same as Chinese ginseng with the exception that selective breeding and different methods of preparation with "red" ginseng yield a final product that is more warming and more fiery in nature. Korean ginseng would be cautioned in persons who get overheated easily. It would be one of the worst herbs to give to a woman who experiences hot flashes for example.

When I started taking animal pak i felt great. Soon after i started to get hypoglaecemic/dizzy/nervous, and i couldn't figure it out. I just yesterday realized that animal pak has a fair dose of siberian and panax ginseng, which lower blood sugar and are stimulatory. It was a real aha moment.

good ginseng Is great

like most high tier chinese herbs, It takes time to realize It's true effect.

It's also like beef In the massive degree of variation In quality.

Very old ginseng seems to be the most potent and balanced In terms of overall effect. With the younger, more cheaply produced and extracted ginseng..seems far more hit and miss In terms of both the effect and potential side effects.

The best shit you can get is probably coming from dragon herbs.

The best way to go would be to buy some old roots, preferably wild and throw them In alcohol for 3-6 months. Take the leftover ginseng and boil It in water, reduce the liquid, throw It in your vitamix and macerate It then add It back to the alcohol. After the liquid maceration Is added, It needs to be at least 30% alcohol to maintain shelf life.

This should yield a more potent product than most you'll buy on the market and at a fraction of the cost.

I know this is an old thread just revived, but for those who would consider caffeine pills for a marathon I would strongly advise against it. This would have effects you don't want for a marathon like increased heart rate, increased dehydration and possibly cramps.

Let me put it this way:

In 1989 I was cocaine and jim beam, now its '95 and I'm ginseng.

Back