Gimme some good mind bending movies

-upstream color

-taxidermia

-Sweet movie - this one is pretty old 1974...I dont even know what to say about it really., its kind of like insanity on film. You just have to (try to)watch it I suppose.

Last edited:
I love The Witch but if anyone who has ADHD or the listening comprehension of a toddler should steer clear of it. I can't believe how many reviews I read of people who whined it was too slow or they couldn't understand the accents or vocabulary in the movie. Did none of them take any high school literature courses?

I'll be honest, I had to turn the subtitles on. Nothing to do with the old English vocabulary, but I honestly struggled to hear a goddamn word. The sound mixing for the dialogue was terrible. Granted, I wasn't watching it with headphones, or on any big surround sound system, but I shouldn't have to either. I've noticed a lot of small scale movies want to convey a sense of realism recently, by having their actors speak in whispers, and make it more natural, like you're in the room or something. Nuts to that. Speak clearly, and let me hear the dialogue.

Good movie though.

You don't care for David Lynch, but try movies from directors like:

Luis Bunuel (movies such as The Exterminating Angel, Un Chien Andalou, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, etc...)
David Cronenberg (The Fly, Videodrome, Naked Lunch, etc..)
Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Hour of the Wolf, Wild Strawberries, etc...)
Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan, etc...)
Alejandro Jodorowsky (The Holy Mountain, El Topo, Fando and Lis, etc...)
Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Twelve Monkeys, etc...)
Pretty much all of the Monty Python movies are outside the box
I assume you've seen Kubrick's films, but if not, then get on that
Also, German Expressionism films (Metropolis, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, etc...)

Here's some more that haven't been mentioned:

Spellbound

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Diabolique (1955)
Primal Fear
American Psycho
Donnie Darko
The Machinist
Her
Ex Machina
The Happening - it made me sit around and wonder why it was made

You don't care for David Lynch, but try movies from directors like:

Luis Bunuel (movies such as The Exterminating Angel, Un Chien Andalou, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, etc...)
David Cronenberg (The Fly, Videodrome, Naked Lunch, etc..)
Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Hour of the Wolf, Wild Strawberries, etc...)
Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan, etc...)
Alejandro Jodorowsky (The Holy Mountain, El Topo, Fando and Lis, etc...)
Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Twelve Monkeys, etc...)
Pretty much all of the Monty Python movies are outside the box
I assume you've seen Kubrick's films, but if not, then get on that
Also, German Expressionism films (Metropolis, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, etc...)

Here's some more that haven't been mentioned:

Spellbound

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Diabolique (1955)
Primal Fear
American Psycho
Donnie Darko
The Machinist
Her
Ex Machina
The Happening - it made me sit around and wonder why it was made

Donnie Darko was the first one I mentioned in the OP. It's my favorite movie.

vanilla-sky-movie-poster-2001-1020192775.jpg

@IloveTHIS

Dude, I watched Martyrs late last night. Wow, I'm not sure I had seen it after all. If I did, I must have been out of it. FREAKY! Really liked it. And some genuine scary as hell parts. I may need to watch it again because I'm not sure I totally caught the meaning and purpose of what was happening (it was like 3 am).

there needs to be more horror villains who look like that demon. Terrifying. THAT'S the kind of payoff I wanted in the The Witch.

Really glad you liked it. Its definitely one of those movies that stick with you.

@Agent Mulder's Hair

Did you get your proper Internet back?

I mean, I can't imagine another reason that you're soliciting movie suggestions without having first watched Pain & Gain and 13 Hours.

@Agent Mulder's Hair

Did you get your proper Internet back?

I mean, I can't imagine another reason that you're soliciting movie suggestions without having first watched Pain & Gain and 13 Hours.

Lol I know I know :D I actually have my computer tonight so been catching up on a few flicks. Watched the new Spiderman and Kingsman The Secret Service for the first time tonight. Both were pretty good. Especially Kingsman, that was a lot of fun

Lol I know I know :D I actually have my computer tonight so been catching up on a few flicks. Watched the new Spiderman and Kingsman The Secret Service for the first time tonight. Both were pretty good. Especially Kingsman, that was a lot of fun

Bro . . . you're disrespecting me and my suggestions. And you've been doing it for months.

Fuck off, dude.

Back