Gift Wrap - Anyone here like this position?

subbass

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Specifically NO GI.. I get the gift wrap sometimes but dont have many go to's with it.. Maybe a flower sweep on bottom or a triangle or arm triangle if im on top.

Anyone using the gift wrap regularly? What are your favorite sweeps/submissions with it? I see there's some forearm/ezekiel style chokes from there but haven't had much success with them.

I don't use it from the bottom, I love it from the top though. Nearly 100% of the time I use it to take the back.

Agreed, I use it as a back take. It's useful when someone reaches their other arm through to defend a kimura or americana. Use your chest to trap the arm, set up the gift wrap. Reach your arm through the arm you have gift wrapped, two hands on the wrist an roll to the back.

back take all day

I've also used it from the guard to hit the flower sweep to that side, but that's pretty uncommon for me. I know some people that hit that regularly.

There is also an awesome and sneaky choke with the gift wrap. Here is Keenan showing the choke from closed guard. I usually hit this choke from a technical mount position in no gi.

I love it, use it all the time. If you play with the position, it is very strong and has many options.

Lately I've been working on using it to sweep directly into an armbar, working on getting that to one fluid motion. During the flower sweep, you want to be concerned with stopping their armbar defense before you really get the sweep moving. So the leg that will be the bottom leg-- get it between their arms or block the free hand with it. Also, if you cut a strong angle for the sweep, a lot of times before you even take the sweep you may be in a good position for a straight armbar on the free arm.

I've been using the "gift wrap" position since before it was called the "gift wrap". I learned it as the "headlock mount".

Most of the chokes I learned from this position I learned way back when I was a white belt in like, '97, and over the years I've been kinda surprised how many guys don't know this position that well or how to attack from it. It is brutal in MMA when you can punch. Its practically game over.

A lot of what I've learned to do over the years is get to that position. It is easier than you think. Some of how I learned to move more efficiently to that position I picked up from watching Saulo's No Gi Revolution video. Mostly just paying attention to moving uke's elbows away from his side.

The chokes I do from there kinda depend: I can work into an arm triangle, do an old catch style "cobra clutch" (this is tricky and takes lots of practice) or do another choke that an older Brazilian black belt I know calls, "the Rickson Gracie". I showed him the choke once (since he used the giftwrap a lot to devestating effect and showed me the most wicked no hands arm lock I've ever seen and FELT from there) and he said, "Oh yeah, I know that one, like Rickson Gracie does."

Funny thing is my first instructor whom I learned the choke from was originally a Rickson Gracie student. The choke is one of my favorites and is one of the meanest.

Also I can attack both the near arm and far arm from the gift wrap position. Or I scoop the far arm from the gift wrap with a deep underhook while maintaining the giftwrap and take the back. You have such good upper body control that you can kind of "steer" them into your rear mount.

Gracie Academy introduces this position from mount in their combatives with how to take the back and arm bar from there. Then in their blue belt - stripe 1 curriculum expand on it with more submissions and more technical back takes along with other things. I like that they introduce it to as part of the beginner curriculum since it's so effective in street and MMA situations like the poster above me pointed out.

back take all day

I've also used it from the guard to hit the flower sweep to that side, but that's pretty uncommon for me. I know some people that hit that regularly.

There is also an awesome and sneaky choke with the gift wrap. Here is Keenan showing the choke from closed guard. I usually hit this choke from a technical mount position in no gi.

love it, basically a gift wrap ezekiel?

I dont' understand why this, and taking technical mount, aren't the first two things you learn from the top of mount.

using it is great, but how the hell do you get out of it? it's one of the positions that i get caught up in and have a tough time getting out of it.

I dont' understand why this, and taking technical mount, aren't the first two things you learn from the top of mount.

Pretty much was for me. Especially mount in no gi- this is absolutely my go to. Push that arm across with my chest, gift wrap and tech mount, back take

definitely like it. its a fairly dominant position to have, top or bottom. if someone of my own skill level were to start in full guard with a gift wrap on me, it would be hard to imagine not losing position.

Here is some stuff,
I did the 2nd choke Cobra Choke to All Japan Champion Aoki my last pro-wrestling match

Great control. Submit or unimpeded fist to the face. Or just sit there until the cavalry arrives.

Gift wrap on top is great. Lots of options. I'll often take the back, but the straight arm bar, kimura, and arm triangle are all easy from there.

ROFL "Bear with us Christian, you're advancing the sport." Poor fella!

Cool techniques never seen lockdown like that.

Lol, yeah, he was a very tough teen, I coached a lot of teens at that time trying to help them grow strong and confident.

THE RLD, Reverse Lock Down, RS Reverse Scorpion is also in my 4 Catcher Arm Through Guillotine vid

Not sure how much be around, I hope some will enjoy going through my playlists on my channel CatchJitsu, really see I have a very in-depth system covering more positions and submissions than others

Back