GIF of B.J. Penn’s ridiculous takedown defense

Never was a big fan of BJ. Always felt he was over rated.

I just don’t get the hype.

Don't forget the time he went for TDs too and tried to "Fitch" Fitch

10001753.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_2.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_5.gif
What happened to him? He has looked like complete disastrous shit since then. This can't all be blamed on aging. he should've been able to do better.

This one was the biggest robbery ever imo and no one ever talks about it. Respect to Frankie for winning the rematch, but Penn won the first fight.
thats a fight i havent watched since it happened. need to watch both fights actually.

The BJ that came back to LW and dethroned Sherk and went on that vicious tear, now that version would be problems for Khabib or Conor now

I never said he wasn’t good or great. But the untouchable delusion regarding his “prime” is so situational and cherry picked. When you objectively look at his body of work it’s pretty evident that he isn’t the best to do at 155.

Name the LW GOAT then, since its so clear to you

TJ may shout about loving fighting, but BJ loved it first.

Why do you sad fools think someone’s join date matters? I’ve been watching MMA since 2005 but I joined here in 2017. My join date has nothing to do with my knowledge of the sport. Do you think the first thing someone does when they become an MMA fan is run along and join sherdog? For gods sake you’re a bunch of grown men arguing on an Internet forum!

Join date shows long you've been a part of the community and how long you've had to prove you know anything.

When we hire a new guy at work, it takes a while to trust he's any good.

The BJ that came back to LW and dethroned Sherk and went on that vicious tear, now that version would be problems for Khabib or Conor now

He'd have lost a decision Khabib but killed Conor.

He had a better chin than Nate, better head movement, faster hands, better BJJ, and much better take-downs.

I would have loved for their primes to match up, BJ would have demolished him.

I always thought his finest match was against Takanori Gomi. Gomi was 14-1 at the time and had never been finished before. He was absolutely dominated by Penn.

That first gif always blows my mind.

Literally swimming through the air to avoid being taken down.

It's heartwarming to see nooblets discovering these ancient gifs and MMA truths.

<mma1>
bahaha exactly. i love it. Usually the OGs dont get enough respect on here

Postivebalance needs to make a comeback and educate these fools.

It's weird reading posts like I was never hyped on him and I don't see what's so special.

It just shows how many people didn't watch him in when he was younger. Aside from Jon Jones he's probably the most naturally gifted fighter to ever step foot in the octagon. Obly thing held him back was yes man and his training regime. 01-10. Was his prime and EVERYONE involved in MMA be it trainers,fighters, nutritionist, boxing coaches right down to the ring girls all claim he is a all time great only new fans call him overrated.

Word. He won the Brazilian jiu jitsu world title after a few years of training. He was the first American to do so. There has only been 5 Americans to win the mundials since then lol.
Competition is about 1000x stiffer nowadays

Gave a bigger GSP serious problems to where GSP had to grease his ass up to avoid the guard.

Jabbed his face bloody as well.

Penn > GSP

Competition is about 1000x stiffer nowadays

So is the level of teaching, training, support and training partners a fighter has (aside from Plats and Cucuy who use a pole and a horse; start of good gym/joke).

BJ would be 1000x better. A V.2 Prime SubMarinovich Motivated Model goes over vs Cormier.

Back