GIF of B.J. Penn’s ridiculous takedown defense

He lacked some type of guidance. If he had stuck to fighting dudes his own size, we wouldn’t even be talking about his drive and motivation, because he would’ve just continued to dominate every lightweight at that time. Instead, he wasted time taking fights against Renzo, Rodrigo, Machida, GSP 2x, Hughes 3x, Nick, Fitch, Rory. Noobs talk shit about his record, but this mf’er was out there fighting Machida! To me, he will forever be the most badass fighter with the biggest set of balls.
Exactly.

The numbers look bad on paper. But what they don't reveal to someone who is new, is to who those losses where against and under what circumstances. The guys he fought and at what time he fought them.

Balance and flexibility really comes in handy at the airport.

One of my all time favorites, incredibly talented for MMA and incredibly ballsy. Considering how small he was it's incredible to look back at how well he did against bigger power houses.

Don't forget the time he went for TDs too and tried to "Fitch" Fitch

10001753.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_2.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_5.gif

Tried to “Fitch” Fitch!!

Exactly.

The numbers look bad on paper. But what they don't reveal to someone who is new, is to who those losses where against and under what circumstances. The guys he fought and at what time he fought them.

It’s really remarkable, specially when you think of all these guys today like Khabib, Conor, Lee, Till, etc, who cut massive amounts of weight to have an advantage. Then you look at BJ, who stepped into the cage at a significant disadvantage for a good portion of his career.

The best BJ I've seen (in my opinion) was at UFC 101. He dismantled Florian who was really on an underrated tear. And TBH Kenny's career is underrated. Some of K-Flo's victories were very tactical and beautiful to watch. (See the Guida Combo and the Lauzon finish)

BJ was training with Marv Marinovich for UFC 101. He was in great shape, he had good cardio, his striking and grappling transition to get the finishing choke was beautiful. Obviously I'm a Bj Penn nut hugger. But man. He just had some damn skill. The Diego fight was impressive but I still think Kenny was a tougher lightweight opponent at the time.

I've always wished we could have witnessed more BJ Penn ground work in the UFC. We saw many flashes late in his career but he was a fighter. He wanted to bang.

Video is TIme stamped for your beatdown submission pleasure

5_medium.gif

UFC101Penn-Florian-3.gif~c200
6023a6_3c9d893ad7f046398b2eba5340363d08.gif

Last edited:
Marinovich Penn was a sight to see. Fuck I wished he stayed with them.

Too many plate lunches bruddah. He was like the Charles Barkley of MMA. It can be a gift and a curse to be that naturally talented.

Never forget when he did a split to stop Hughes from taking hm down

Don't forget the time he went for TDs too and tried to "Fitch" Fitch

10001753.gif

Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_5.gif

Yeah, but he gassed himself before the end of the second round doing so and got beat up for the rest of the fight. That fight was the perfect display of all of Penn's strengths and weaknesses.

sUGVr0K.gif

B.J. Penn was just a naturally gifted freak, his balance and flexibility were ridiculous.

jailbreak.gif

Amazing-BJ-Penn-Pool-Jump-GIF.gif

Legendary
jzhffb.gif
Lands on his feet like a cat.

Recently Helwani asked Anderson Silva about his take on the GOAT discussion. Guess what he said.

Lands on his feet like a cat.

Recently Helwani asked Anderson Silva about his take on the GOAT discussion. Guess what he said.

“B.J. Penn is thee bess”

Since were reminiscing about Baby J and all ....

Always on the short list for GOAT walk outs ever. Goosebumps every time.

Back