[GIF] Barao's Killer Kick

Amazing kick, shame it was overshadowed by that fucking hilarious dance.

Brutal kick. Kinda the most underrated guy in the UFC atm, well after that kick maybe not anymore.

The stoppage was a bit early in hindsight. But at that moment eddie was covering up rolling his belly and face to the floor. A fighter knows beforehand that when he does exactly that, the fight is getting stopped.

People who are complaining about the stopage, did you guys watch the fight or are you just basing your judgement off this gif?

I know I'm a party pooper.....but I still think that kick is massively overrated.

It grazed him really and knocked him on his butt....but nothing more.

Watch the kick hit Wineland in the wrist (at 1:10) (then wiggle his ear), which tips him over and makes him fall. It wasn't legs giving out resulting in a fall. He had his marbles the whole time.

There needs to be a new rule where judges can review slo mo replays then override the ref's stoppage and continue the bout. Wineland might not get another chance at the belt, and he likely worked hard to prep for his title shot. I think even sumo allows the judges to meet and override stuff. Baseball umpires too can meet and overrule the initial split second call.

wow shitty stoppage

I see no reason why he should've let Barao beat Wineland to a bloody pulp. Dude was gone at that point, regardless what he might say himself after getting hit to the head numerous times.

The initial follow up punch hit Eddie, but didn't put his lights out. The subsequent punches hit Eddie's forearms or shoulders.

The Floyd Mayweather of MMA. And c'mon, i thought black knew how to dance....

People who are complaining about the stopage, did you guys watch the fight or are you just basing your judgement off this gif?
Both. Another horrible stoppage by Lavinge. I even called it before the stoppage.

Windland gets PUSHED back, falls on his ass, jumps forward to cover himself, blocks the temple punch with his left arm, fight gets stopped. Lavinge might as well give the win to Condit against GSP...

There is a good angle where you can see Barao's heel connect with the chin. It was clearly more than a simple "push." And if it was a push, Eddie should have chosen a better defensive position than turtling up on his knees.

For what's its worth.
Barao-Kick.gif

Yea, the kick was partially blocked by Wineland. Partially. :wink:

Well, more of a turning sidekick than a spinning kick, but you often hear turning sidekicks refered to as spinning sidekicks.

It's a half-spin.

Both could be categorized as spinning attacks I think. But it's not a spinning wheelkick, that's for sure.

I was in Karate in the mid to late 80s. You are right. I remember thinking a roundhouse was spinning kick but no its just a hip pivot front kick. Similar to a hook in boxing. It can get complicated.

For what's its worth.
Barao-Kick.gif

This gif seals the deal. The Barao's heel connects in Wineland's face and after it slips through his right side while the sole of the foot pushes the "blocking" hand. The kick was not really blocked.

Last edited:
If you watch the replay, the kick basically pushed Wineland's wrist and toppled him off balance. It wasn't like lights out legs giving out going down. He was totally alert while down and maybe just the initial follow up punch landed and the rest were blocked and wouldn't have finished him.

When did Barao NOT finish an opponent after grabbing his back, tell me ?
Barao's ground game is 20years ahead of Wineland's and he had 4minutes to work, but i doubt he wouldn't get the sub 20secs after that...
You can argue that it was an early stoppage, but to argue that Wineland wasn't getting finished right there is just being naive.

Back