Gibson files for bankruptcy

I have 61 reissue SG I bought in 99. I put an Angus Young sig HB in the bridge it's probably one of my favorite guitars. I have a Zakk Wylde epiphone lp with emgs and it sounds like a beast. Playability wise nothing I have beats my Fender Strat but most of my favorite players played Gibson.

It's a shame. Was hearing rumors about this but didn't understand. Granted I haven't been in the loop but I've viewed Gibson as much as a staple to Rock as Marshall. They really must have fucked up somewhere.

I have 61 reissue SG I bought in 99. I put an Angus Young sig HB in the bridge it's probably one of my favorite guitars. I have a Zakk Wylde epiphone lp with emgs and it sounds like a beast. Playability wise nothing I have beats my Fender Strat but most of my favorite players played Gibson.

It's a shame. Was hearing rumors about this but didn't understand. Granted I haven't been in the loop but I've viewed Gibson as much as a staple to Rock as Marshall. They really must have fucked up somewhere.
The brand will live on, no doubt.

Part of this is also based on a shrinking customer base, with the musical landscape shifting. There aren't as many people buying guitars as there once was.
BM.gif

they expanded on a bunch of non guitar related products like Cakewalk and other shit.

This is a very small reason as to why Gibson filed

Mastodon's Guitarist Bill Kelliher sums up why he stopped using Gibson guitars and the company overall

"It was a lot of reasons.

"I never really felt like I was accepted at Gibson. The communication over there is terrible.

"They kept fucking up my guitars that I was asking for. I didn't ask for a lot - I just had a few certain things that I would like with my guitar - I told them I didn't want it chambered and they made my second guitar chambered.

"All the guys I worked with over there - the A&R guys were getting fired left and right and the company just seemed to be falling apart to me. There were new guys who would come in and they didn't know shit.

"It was a breath of fresh air working with ESP. They were interested and would ask me what gauge strings I played and what tunings I play - Gibson never cared about any of that stuff.

"Kids would get my guitar in the mail and ask me how to tune it because it wasn't tuned and then I would tell them how to tune it and they would say it still doesn't sound right and it's because they're not putting my gauge strings on there.

"They weren't even tuning the guitars to my settings or specifications – just little things like that. Things that make the guitar a Bill Kelliher model, like put it in my tuning so that when it shows up, it's different.

"ESP wanted to know all that stuff. They're just friendly and nice and they're interested in me and my band and what they can do for me rather than this company.

"Gibson just wasn't... I don't know, I think they're on their way downhill honestly.

"Every guy I talk to - I mean, look at James Hetfield. He was at Gibson, played Gibson stuff and they didn't want to work with him, so he went to ESP. And he's one of the biggest fucking guitar players in our kind of music.

"It seems like there are a lot of bad decisions being made over there.

"But ESP is really great. They treat me really well. I love my Sparrowhawk that I designed. It's the best playing guitar that I own."

I never owned a Gibson and now will probably never bother to buy one. Not to mention quality control at that company now is non existent

Mastodon's Guitarist Bill Kelliher sums up why he stopped using Gibson guitars and the company overall

"I never really felt like I was accepted at Gibson. The communication over there is terrible.

"They kept fucking up my guitars that I was asking for. I didn't ask for a lot - I just had a few certain things that I would like with my guitar - I told them I didn't want it chambered and they made my second guitar chambered.

"All the guys I worked with over there - the A&R guys were getting fired left and right and the company just seemed to be falling apart to me. There were new guys who would come in and they didn't know shit.

"It was a breath of fresh air working with ESP. They were interested and would ask me what gauge strings I played and what tunings I play - Gibson never cared about any of that stuff.

"Kids would get my guitar in the mail and ask me how to tune it because it wasn't tuned and then I would tell them how to tune it and they would say it still doesn't sound right and it's because they're not putting my gauge strings on there.

"They weren't even tuning the guitars to my settings or specifications – just little things like that. Things that make the guitar a Bill Kelliher model, like put it in my tuning so that when it shows up, it's different.

"ESP wanted to know all that stuff. They're just friendly and nice and they're interested in me and my band and what they can do for me rather than this company.

"Gibson just wasn't... I don't know, I think they're on their way downhill honestly.

"Every guy I talk to - I mean, look at James Hetfield. He was at Gibson, played Gibson stuff and they didn't want to work with him, so he went to ESP. And he's one of the biggest fucking guitar players in our kind of music.

"But ESP is really great. They treat me really well. I love my Sparrowhawk that I designed. It's the best playing guitar that I own."

I never owned a Gibson and now will probably never bother to buy one. Not to mention quality control at that company now is non existent
Thank you ESP sales rep for posting this article. Please send price quote for 2 guitars.

only 50's and 60s are really worth it for gibson and fender. played a 50's les paul jr. the thing sounded like a work of art. beautiful. puts all modern guitars I've played to shame.

only 50's and 60s are really worth it for gibson and fender. played a 50's les paul jr. the thing sounded like a work of art. beautiful. puts all modern guitars I've played to shame.
and how much would a 1957 Goldtop Les Paul cost?

and how much would a 1957 Goldtop Les Paul cost?
really expensive,like 20,000+, but if you get it refinished that would cut the price in half. a 50s les paul junior only costs like 3,500 to 5 grand. At this point Ive only bought vintage amps and the cheap vintage guitars ( danelectros,silvertone etc) but if I ever get in a better position I'd be up to buy an old refinished tele, jazzmaster, jaguar etc

Last edited:
I saw some on gbase from 26 to 34 grand. Reverb is notorious for over pricing shit. Also, like i said if its refinished, which no real player will care about, that cuts the price in half.

edit some of them were earlier conversions. If you are buying it for the status then its more expensive like you said
Expect them to skyrocket with the news of Gibson being in trouble.

I actually am pretty picky about guitars, I'll never own a 250K Les Paul but I don't like refinished guitars unless they are done by the factory. I like my stuff original. Don't get me started on the stupid relic'd trend.

Expect them to skyrocket with the news of Gibson being in trouble.

I actually am pretty picky about guitars, I'll never own a 250K Les Paul but I don't like refinished guitars unless they are done by the factory. I like my stuff original. Don't get me started on the stupid relic'd trend.
well, for vintage stuff its mostly about the sound and play ability for me. For newer guitars that arent vintage I definitely understand, but for vintage, those sounds and guitars are literally never coming around again. It was a special time in american history.

well, for vintage stuff its mostly about the sound and play ability for me. For newer guitars that arent vintage I definitely understand, but for vintage, those sounds and guitars are literally never coming around again. It was a special time in american history.
I have mixed feelings on that stuff. Obviously there are some magical guitars out there but the worst bass I ever owned wasa 60s EB-0 . Just a mess.

Back