Gi Review: Hayabusa Pro Jiu Jitsu Gi

seammagear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
DSC_1942.jpg

Introduction

Given Hayabusa's ever widening range of MMA products, it was only a matter of time before they finally expanded into the BJJ Gi market. They've made some interesting choices with this gi, and like many recent products, are bound to generate discussion and split opinions on both sides of the fence.

Official Specs:

Revolutionary High Performance Triple Weave Ripstop Fabric
Unmatched quality, durability and comfort
Unrestricted shoulder range of motion
Pre-shrunk for an ideal fit
Tailored Multi-Piece Anterior and single back paneling
Performance Stretch Inseam panel
Reinforced chest, upper back, shoulders and knees

Aesthetics

One look at the gi and I'm sure you'll agree it's not for the faint-hearted. The sheer boldness of the embroidery alone will get most people loving or hating it. The gi comes with a nice gi bag, with the Hayabusa Kanji embroidered with silver threads, while the Hayabusa logo is printed on.

DSC_1975.jpg

The gi itself is white with black contrast stitching, while the gi top has the same dragon motif on the Mizuchi line of rashguard and shorts, extending from the front to the back. Personally, I love the dragon motif and that it's embroidered on, but there are others others who find this over the top. It's a daring design decision by Hayabusa, as this alone can make or break the gi for many, and the design cannot be removed unlike patches.

If you can get past the dragon motif, there's also the Hayabusa logo embroidered across the left, as well as the cool looking lapel patch that features a rising sun. The inside of the gi where the chest and upper back are reinforced have a honeycomb pattern on it, while the shoulders have the Hayabusa Kanji embroidered on. The trim of the skirt has a taping with the Hayabusa logo repeated across, and this is featured on the inside of the sleeve cuffs too, but not for the pant leg cuffs.

DSC_1969.jpg

The back is equally awesome, showing the dragon motif in its full glory!

Comparatively speaking the gi pants is a lot tamer, with just the Hayabusa logo down the left pant leg.

Overall, the gi design sure comes across as loud, but the craftsmanship is excellent. Every stitching looks great and makes the design really pop out in person. Photos might not do it as much justice as it simply looks much cooler in real life.

Form & Fit

The gi runs from A0-A4, and I fell right in the middle of their A1 at 169cm and 61kg. From past experiences with Hayabusa gear, they've always been a little large on me, giving me a loose cut. With the gi I was afraid that A1 might end up being baggy for me as well. Fortunately, the cutting of this gi was pretty good and fit me well.

The size chart reproduced with metric for convenience in the full review.

Initially, the length of the pants and sleeves were a little too long for my taste, but after washing they were just right, and it was a pleasant surprise for me. Even the armpits were pretty nicely cut, not baggy like some of my other gis that feel a bit judo-ish, at the same time not so snug until it restricts movement. The minor complain is that it seems to be made for a guy with a slightly bigger chest, so it front tends to pop out a bit whenever the gi rides up the belt.

Since it's a preshrunk gi, the shrinkage after several cold washes and hang drying is minimal. Some pre and post wash measurements in the full review.

Functionality

Hayabusa touts the gi as a Triple Weave Ripstop Fabric, and this may end up causing some amounts of confusion. For one, the triple weave refers to the ripstop weave, rather than a weave even thicker than a double weave. And while it is indeed a ripstop weave, it's not the typical waxy canvas material used for lightweight ripstop pants, but a slightly heavier soft cotton material.

While the gi is fairly lightweight, there's a heavy duty feel to it because of the ripstop weave. The weave itself makes the gi feel a little rougher than what I'm used to, although it's not stiff at all and is quite flexible. The flexible material coupled with the slightly loose sleeve cuff did lead to my partners having better grips on my sleeves though, although it also facilitated Ezekiel chokes, so I guess this is up to personal preference.

The pants feel like an in between of lightweight ripstop pants and the regular twill cotton pants. It's heavier than ripstop, but lighter than most of my other cotton pants. There's also a stretch panel in white, which feels similar to their rashguard material.

DSC_1984.jpg

Strangely, they've elected to use a flat drawstring with just two loops. The drawstring is made of the same ripstop weave, which actually increases the friction between the drawstring and the pants, making it much harder to tighten after a wash. On the upside, it will hold the pants in place without loosening once it's properly tied up, but I'd rather swap it for a cord drawstring for ease of adjustment.

Collar thickness is average, on par with the Tatami Estilo and Storm Typhoon. The ripstop weave is used on the collar as well, giving it slightly rough grip.

The gi is reinforced in all the necessary places, and I highly doubt this gi will fall apart anytime soon. This thing is built like a tank!

Conclusion

The Hayabusa Pro Jiu Jitsu Gi is a workhorse that is eye-catching at the same time, although the hefty price tag and the bold design might not be for everyone.

More photos at:
SEA MMA Gear Guide: Hayabusa Pro Jiu Jitsu Gi Review and
Sneaks: Hayabusa Pro Jiu Jitsu Gi

Add us on Facebook to stay updated with new reviews!
SEA MMA Gear Guide | Facebook

Nice review, I've yet to roll in mine due to injury, but love the fit. Just hoping it doesn't shrink (as we discussed).

I love the top, but prefer my Atama ripstop pants. They are tough to beat. This top actually looks real slick with my black Atama ripstop pants.

I'm 6'1" 180. Just above the A2, however I found the A3 way too big. I also like a slim cut gi though. Seeing as I am not using this for competition, just class, I am not too worried about the sleeve getting a little short. I wish they made an A2X, like the Fushida. For the summer months, we don't have air conditioning at the dojo, so this is a lighter wegiht alternative to my Komodo.

It's most def a solid product from Hayabusa. An all black with black embroidery would be a great contrast to this white with black. That way they could appeal to people who like the flair of the white on black or the people who prefer the stealth look. Kind of a yin yang thing.

Haha, if they did black, I'd want it with white accents, like the black mizuchi rashguard.

I finally had a chance to roll in this gi. Only wore the top paired with my black atama ripstop pants. Super light setup, I liked it a lot. I know a gi is good if I don't notice it while rolling. If I am having to adjust it at all, I know the fit is off. I didn't notice this gi. Your opponent can hold onto it easier than a heavy gi, but that will just make you better. Plus I am just using this for training so it's all good. I am happy to add this to my rotation, especially now that summer is coming. There is no air conditioning in our facility. It gets hot in there, I have actually tapped to suffocation from thick air/heat/250 pounder on top of me in the past.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back