GGG vs Jacobs PPV buys

Stop charging 65$ for a fucking PPV

nobody knows who Saunders is, terrible idea for a fight on PPV

as someone mentioned above, i have Sk yin the UK and also Boxnation, say i paid for it each month, it would cost me less than 1 PPV each month and i get every other sport imaginable as well(including UFC, Premier League football, Golf, F1...and any other sports really) for about £35 a month.

Everything for less than one Boxing or UFC ppv each month.

The American PPV system is fucked

^If the GGG-Jacobs PPV numbers are as bad as they look (160k?) they'll have no choice but to take GGG back to HBO.

if Saunders is next in June, and the fight is in Kazakhstan like rumored that'd be a terrible idea to do a PPV fight.

Saunders-GGG might be a quality match up, but it would no doubt flop as a PPV fight.
Pretty much kills a rematch given how hard Jacobs fought for nearly 50% but didn't help GGG grow his numbers.

Govt of Kazahkstan is basically paying for the Saunders fight. They're hosting the World Expo and spending the bucks to showcase their nation globally.

That was one of the best fights I have seen in a long time.

Maybe HBO should hire that pro wrestling guy to announce the numbers...

Saunders fight can't be PPV because of the time difference. No one is paying for an event in the middle of the night.

Anyway I was hoping for higher numbers but if you look at the gate it pays for a lot of the 2 highest paid fighters alone so I doubt they lost anything, just not as much extra as they hoped.

Gate money is like a bonus for the fighters. What matters is the profits for the investors. They'll be hard pressed to get the same purses for a rematch if the next fights for both fighters don't do much better.

Gate money is like a bonus for the fighters. What matters is the profits for the investors. They'll be hard pressed to get the same purses for a rematch if the next fights for both fighters don't do much better.

What even were their purses?

They needed Chris Algieri in the co-main.

2.5 mil for Golovkin and 1.75 for DJ is what was reported. I think Roman was 550 000.

I doubt they needed that many viewers to make their money then. That is relatively low, and seems comparable to a world championship boxing HBO card, in terms of purse. I bet this made them more money, than if on reg HBO

^I'd hope a PPV would make more money than on regular HBO. That aside, it's gotta be pretty disappointing to do virtually the same numbers on PPV as the Lemieux fight back in 2015.

I was one of the buys--just making sure that they count me. #150,001

^If the GGG-Jacobs PPV numbers are as bad as they look (160k?) they'll have no choice but to take GGG back to HBO.

if Saunders is next in June, and the fight is in Kazakhstan like rumored that'd be a terrible idea to do a PPV fight.

Saunders-GGG might be a quality match up, but it would no doubt flop as a PPV fight.

Thankfully his team always says GGG will be an on and off ppv fighter so all his fans get a chance to keep watching his career. Other than Canelo I can't think of another 160 pounder he could fight on ppv.

Does anyone think lowering the ppv price to $45/$50 would've gained more interest? Man, these guys have friends/fans that should help promote this stuff.

Its like that catch me outside chick is more popular. Which is exactly whats wrong with this country. I bet ESPN has done a 30 for 30 on that chick.

Haha yeah they cry about how boxing is dying because it's boring.

I am a boxing whore though. I will watch or dvr any boxing on any channel every single time. A bad fight is better than no fight.

My thoughts exactly. I can't wait enough of it, which is why there's no hyperbole when my two girls say "Daddy always watches boxing" (probably with a bit of irritation in their voices).

They really gotta stop using PPV as some kind of authentic measurement and part of that has to come from modifying the prices and/or making the means to watch it more practical and with the times. I should be able to log onto HBO and purchase on a fight to fight basis. I don't have a cable package and I live in Canada which is good because there's no Trump, but bad because a drama teacher is running the country and we don't have access to some purchasing options (The Ring TV's buying option was not available to Canadians).

Thankfully his team always says GGG will be an on and off ppv fighter so all his fans get a chance to keep watching his career. Other than Canelo I can't think of another 160 pounder he could fight on ppv.

I can't think of any either. Lemieux and Jacobs were more for the hardcore fans, but being a NY native and higher rated the Jacobs fight was supposed to bring in more buys .. and it did around the same as Lemieux. No real positive way you can spin that

and yeah as some are saying I think they do need to reduce the cost of PPV, because for guys Floyd or Pac, where they're established names .... $69 is worth it, I was looking back at some PPV numbers and Pac vs Bradley 2 & Mayweather-Maidana 1 were a month apart (April, May of 2014) and the fights did 800,000 and 900,000 PPV buys respectively.

but getting back on topic, you can't charge $64.99 or what have you for Golovkin, or even Kovalev (vs Ward 160k) because these guys do NOT command the same kind of interest, and it's reflected in their PPV buys. No idea how much better their PPV's would do if priced at $50, but I'm willing to bet GGG-Jacobs exceeds 150k. Though I'm sure we'd here it from DLH, "Lil G only did ___ on PPV because he slashed the cost. Now he's the B- side"

Also I think HBO could get more creative within the outlets of PPV. Movie theaters for example, they've done it for numerous Mayweather AND Canelo fights, plus $15 might seem like too much, BUT if a PPV is gonna be around $60 or more ... that $15 is about 1/4th the cost.

And only thinking out loud after reading Seano's "Imagine if this card had been on NBC or CBS."

Purely hypothetical at this point, but would/does GGG need to consider leaving for Showtime? Aside from creating a repeat Kovalev-Stevenson situation (Kov with HBO, Stevenson with Showtime) think of the positives, and he'd only do this if he doesn't ever think he can get Canelo.

#1. Under Showtime Golovkin could realistically fight on CBS, and believe me they'd hype the heck out of it

#2. Set up for success, provided Showtime can find a high profile enough opponent to put GGG in with on PPV, also have Keith Thurman and or James DeGale on the card. And for the love of Moses don't schedule the PPV around March Madness.

I just dont thing GGG can sell high PPV against anybody except Canelo or Floyd.

Even a fight with Andre Ward would do like 300k buys.

In the UK, a fight with Carl Froch would do bigger Joshua/Klitschko numbers.

Its like that catch me outside chick is more popular. Which is exactly whats wrong with this country. I bet ESPN has done a 30 for 30 on that chick.
Call me crazy but I'm not opposed to putting "celebrities" on the cards. Both UFC and Bellator put on freak show fights on real cards and it doesnt ruin MMA for me. Not like boxing is stacking cards.
Heck she just fought her mom on vid and Im scared to see what type of numbers it pulled on Worldstar and YouTube. Shes like 0-2 now but still a PPV draw.LMAO.

Back