GGG vs. Canelo

Greeny500

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm one of those weird fans who actually believe this fight will happen sooner rather than later. I think both guys want to and there's a shit load of money to be made.

I'm curious as to who the people think would win if these guys fight in 2017.

I like both guys a lot and think it'll be a close, grueling, intense fight with GGG coming out on top. What's everyone else think?

I think Canelo actually has a good style to fight GGG, although his movement could be better.

I think we don't know what his power or chin is at MW.

Very much anticipated fight even if GGG gets blasted by Jacobs I wouuld still like to see it

GGG going in would be the favorite naturally and the storyline would be very casual friendly

As for the fight I feel Canelo has the edge style wise but like the sharper minds in here say the quest mark would be his chin and power

It would be the sharpest Canelo yet because I feel he respects GGG power more so than the other way around

Canelo has power but I feel its a bit over exaggerated and hyped at 154. @160 I think its even less of a worry or impact to his opponents.

GGG has an amazing chin. So thats not going to help Canelo out any further. And *IF* GGG gets past Jacobs and eats those legit shots too its going to stack the deck even more in his favor.

Canelo has the ability to outbox and outpoint GGG. However, he also likes to come foward and eat shots at an alarming rate sometimes. "Mexican Style."
Canelo has a really good chin too, but GGG's power and damage seems like the kind nobody can take for too long. Since Jacobs has already been rocked and downed by way way way less punchers than GGG , a Jacobs KO wont really matter or increase my opinion on GGGs power. Plus I would consider Canelo to have a better chin and be more durable than Jacobs anyways.

So i think GGG simply would out "Mexican Style" the Mexican.
Both guys get hit a lot despite their level skill set and talent being top notch. So i have to go with the guy I think has the better power and the potentially pending better chin.

I would also give him the edge for having way more experience with bigger guys at 160 or bigger.

* as a disclaimer i am not trying to pass any of that off as fact. Danny Jacobs could prove GGG's chin isn't as legendary as I think it is. Also, if Brook was able to bother GGG I guess Canelo still has the power to do more than just bother him. Also, Canelo's next fight against a much bigger guy in JR. may tell us a little something more about his chin and power against a bigger stronger guy.

Golovkins fight with Jacobs and Canelo's fight with Chavez should tell us quite a bit about how good of a chin GGG really has and how Canelo's punch carries against a much bigger guy. Stylistically I think Canelo has a good arsenal to fight Gennady, though it'll put him in danger. Canelo doesn't move a whole lot, but it's a part of his style. When guys bully him, he wants to let them lean in and then hit them around the sides or with an uppercut. The way Golovkin fights, he'll be there for it though he's good at seeing/feeling it come and getting out of the way. It'll mostly come down to who can control the range better most of the time and decide when and where the fight happens. Canelo puts combinations together well at range, and but Golovkin has shown he has a pretty good jab (I'd say his and Canelo's are comparable). Both guys have the tools to work each other over inside. Both are good body punchers.

What would be interesting is if Golovkin could get control of things at range with his jab, and then force Saul to come to him. Canelo doesn't look good following guys around. But that's also not something I recall Golovkin ever doing really. Most of the time he doesn't fight when he gets moved back, he resets and then starts coming forward himself.

Tough fight to call, which is what makes it intriguing.

I favor, although not by much, Canelo's speed and quality of opposition over GGG's power and size of opposition.

Tito is a Trump fanboy but thinks the Mexican will win.

Going to 164.5 will make it harder to go back to 154, so i really think this is a preparation fight, Chavez will be bigger and he also hits hard.

The fight could happen near september 16 this year.

If it ever happens I think GGG walks through Canelo.

There are so many possibilities for one to beat the other.
Heart says GGG but head says Canelo.

If it ever happens I think GGG walks through Canelo.

I think GGG would beat him pretty easily if they fought at 160. If Liam Smith can put you on the ropes then I don't care about how decent you are at fighting off of them. Golovkin will smash a fighter that concedes the center of the ring with that lead left Russian long hook (the name of the technique) to the body he likes to test your liver with.

I think GGG would beat him pretty easily if they fought at 160. If Liam Smith can put you on the ropes then I don't care about how decent you are at fighting off of them. Golovkin will smash a fighter that concedes the center of the ring with that lead left Russian long hook (the name of the technique) to the body he likes to test your liver with.
This. I just don't think Canelo has enough power to worry GGG. We know Canelo is tough but so was Kell Brook. GGG broke his eye socket. I just don't see Canelo doing anything other than trying to survive in there.

This. I just don't think Canelo has enough power to worry GGG. We know Canelo is tough but so was Kell Brook. GGG broke his eye socket. I just don't see Canelo doing anything other than trying to survive in there.
Carl frampton broke Scott quigs jaw and he's hardly hands of stone and special k was fighting at mw when he's a ww so the broken bones in face analogy is a weird thing to rate the fight on.

Carl frampton broke Scott quigs jaw and he's hardly hands of stone and special k was fighting at mw when he's a ww so the broken bones in face analogy is a weird thing to rate the fight on.

Hey you

That's because you are looking at it in a different way. It just demonstrates how tough Kell was to continue as long as he did. Being tough didn't help him much against GGG. And it won't help Canelo either.

That's because you are looking at it in a different way. It just demonstrates how tough Kell was to continue as long as he did. Being tough didn't help him much against GGG. And it won't help Canelo either.
Jacobs will knock ggg out and then we will see what happens.

Back