GGG vs Canelo = Robbery of the year candidate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 363827
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 363827

I am not even going to talk about the idiotic 118-110 scorecard, because I can't see how anyone would score this a draw or for Canelo. This is a competitive fight, but Canelo did not do enough for a win. He got overwhelmed by GGG and had to take nearly all middle rounds off.

Would love to see a scorecard round by round of anyone who does not have it for GGG. For me, this is a clear robbery. Stats show it. Media scorecards show it. Even most fans agree.

I felt GGG won a close decision. I remember Canelo doing a lot of good work though while GGG missed, and he landed heavy leather in COMBINATIONS which GGG had less success with. I can see how some could feel GGG's pressure was ineffective (in some of the rounds) due to a high frequency of misses, while Canelo had the good counters. But I think Canelo's success was too sporadic and infrequent in comparison, I think GGG's pressure and own few hard shots outweighed Canelo's successes. Most of the fight consisted of Canelo on the ropes defending while getting wailed on. I believe in one round he was hit hard and the bell went before GGG could follow up. A shame...

Canelo definitely won a few rounds in there. IIRC I thought GGG was up by a round or two only. From my eyes a clear decision - but depending on whether you're more "wow"ed by pressure and high frequency offense (with a lot of punches that do land amid many misses), or by good defensive boxing and put off by misses, you could see it more than one way.

When people think back on this fight, the main image will be one of Canelo being forced to the ropes and being wailed on, taking hits then escaping or recovering, only to be cornered and wailed on again. That's the mainstay of the fight... And some fantastic power combinations from Canelo including on the ropes (backing off GGG) will be remembered, but that's the smaller story of the fight.

GGG's nerves/tentativeness in the first rounds crippled his effectiveness and maybe cost him the rounds that could have swung it undoubtedly in his favor.

Gennady won, wtf, wow judges are worthless son's of biatches

Last edited:
Nah. Score cards for this fight are all over the place, as I myself said they might be when we were about midway through the fight. I had it 114-114 when watching it for the first time, but I could also have scored it 115-113 for Golovkin. I have bit of a hard time seeing how Canelo would deserve 7 rounds or more, but I guess I can't really argue with it seeing as I had it a draw myself.

Last edited:
Fuck! I lost money in this fight I had ggg winning and a shit load of handicaps, only think I hit was no knockdown from canelo. Judges can EAD.

I had it GGG 8-4 over Canelo, winning every round except 2, 3, 11 and 12, but I can see it being a draw although I don't think that's the right result, obviously. Not a robbery.

118-110 is ridiculous though.

With a draw he keeps his belt and stays undefeated so I would not call it a robbery.

I also had it for GGG but a draw is not totally unreasonable imo.

Anyway we will likely get a rematch now which is awesome because the fight was sick.

Both will have the opportunity to make adjustments and the rematch might even be better than this one.

This is why I hate boxing. It's why I find it hard to get excited about it after following it for forty years.
1. Las Vegas, gambling capitol of the world. What a smart choice for a championship fight. No worries about fixed fights, no worries about bribed officials.
2. Look, give me a reasonable decision if you must, but what's with the huge disparity between the two of the judges and the total outlier who had Canelo winning SEVEN rounds??
3. After seeing how close the fight was, either way (except for the idiot that had Alvarez winning 7 rounds), don't fans and fighters deserve a win/lose decision? Hint: yeah, they all do.
4. Way too easy to see the obvious setup for a rematch. That isn't really fair as Canelo was beat and GGG is getting older, but the money (VEGAS!!!) is what matters, right?

I prefer MMA as they seem to have fewer of these "draws", especially in a big fight like this. Sure, MMA has some ridiculous calls, but not even close to what you get with boxing.

Great fight,canelo fought a good fight but there was a clear winner here. Ggg commanded this fight , he dictated where it went walked through everything canelo threw at him while landing his own stuff. To me it wasn't a close fight there was clear winner and ggg got robbed

Was a good fight but GGG won pretty comfortably. Adalaide Byrd should not only never judge again but she should probably end up in prison.

Absolutely disgusting.

What do you expect from judges who gave rds 2,3,4 to Floyd?!?

I originally had GGG edging it but after watching it again I'm pretty happy with it being a draw because it was close. You cant call this fight a robbery. There's an argument for both sides. Hopefully there will be a more decisive victory in the rematch. Still don't get how that judge came up with 118 - 110 tho.

Stephen Smith goes berserk on Adalaide Biatch.

Can a fighter or promoter actually sue a judge? Seems like it should be allowed.

I originally had GGG edging it but after watching it again I'm pretty happy with it being a draw because it was close. You cant call this fight a robbery. There's an argument for both sides. Hopefully there will be a more decisive victory in the rematch. Still don't get how that judge came up with 118 - 110 tho.
I saw it this way too. You don't get a scoring boost in boxing because you're a pressure fighter. It was clear canelo was outboxing GGG for all of the early rounds and he came on strong again in the champ rounds.

I actually feel like he let a clear domination out of his grasp by giving up the entire middle of the fight. GGG was hitting a fuckton of gloves and glancing shots and canelos work was much cleaner and slipping a ton of GGG shots. Watch even just the highlights and this becomes really clear. If Canelo wouldn't have taken those middle rounds off (or at least not as many) it would have been a clinic. Hard not to do that with GGG crazy pressure and pace, though.

Close, amazing fight. No robbery. Draw is fine.

Fuck the judges, but what about HBO's compubox numbers?

Canelo landing a higher percentage and landing 4 more power punches than GGG?

There where 3 fucking rounds where Canelo didn't land shit, round 5 or 6 he didn't throw anything

Fuck HBO and GBP, I called the fix in another thread earlier, no way where they going to let a Khazak with broken English become boxing's #1 star

I saw it this way too. You don't get a scoring boost in boxing because you're a pressure fighter. It was clear canelo was outboxing GGG for all of the early rounds and he came on strong again in the champ rounds.

I actually feel like he let a clear domination out of his grasp by giving up the entire middle of the fight. GGG was hitting a fuckton of gloves and glancing shots and canelos work was much cleaner and slipping a ton of GGG shots. Watch even just the highlights and this becomes really clear. If Canelo wouldn't have taken those middle rounds off (or at least not as many) it would have been a clinic. Hard not to do that with GGG crazy pressure and pace, though.

Close, amazing fight. No robbery. Draw is fine.

You don't get points for pure pressure but neither do you get points for making punches miss. Fact of the matter is that GGG hit Canelo with 50+ more punches than Canelo hit him with.

You don't get points for pure pressure but neither do you get points for making punches miss. Fact of the matter is that GGG hit Canelo with 50+ more punches than Canelo hit him with.
Which were literally all jabs.

Canelo out landed him in power punches let alone MUCH cleaner ones.

It qas a close fight that could have gone either way. No robbery.

Back