GGG maybe to face Cotto before rematch

Pretty good chance Golovkin loses if he fights someone with a pulse before the Canelo rematch. He's had two razor close fights in a row. Thats a pretty sure sign of a guy declining.

Honest question: Do you think BJS could be a problem for GGG?

Cotto vs Canelo was a fairly even match imo.

Canelo was significantly bigger and he didn't feel much of Cotto's power and that gave him the fight.
Cotto still is in a pretty good shape and he's an elite boxer.

He's a tough fight for anyone and if I was GGG I would go for Sanders if possible.
Best opponent for him.

In a perfect world Canelo fights Jacobs and Golovkin fights Sanders and then we get GGG against the winner.

Don't do it Cotto.

Who cares about BJS...I'd rather see Cotto/GGG under any circumstances as he waits for the Canelo rematch. Cotto's footwork is just as good and he hits harder even at this stage in his career than Billy.

Fans always ignore the writing on the wall until a popular fighter gets smashed. Roman Gonzalez is a prime example of this. The guy struggled in every single fight since stepping up in weight, finally gets stopped and people are blown away.

I think there's a lot of truth in people overlooking things. I agree with you on that.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind though about Gonzalez:
- lighter weight guys, especially the high-energy pressure fighters have shorter peaks. Late 20's for him is just about right for where he fades. Rungvisai wasn't a "better" fighter. He was a bigger one that could take a punch and not let a smaller guy have his way. Respect to Rungvisai for fighting according to his body type.
- Gonazalez moved up to his fourth weight class at a time in his career where he was slowing down. You could see it when he struggled as soon as he moved up.
- Gonzalez was winning but he wasn't perfect. He didn't like getting punched to the body, and you could tell he got frustrated when his opponents weren't showing signs of wilting.

Gonzalez is a legitimate talent. He was sliding down from his peak in a way that was not readily perceptible just as he was moving up in weight. The age, added weight, and larger opponents that could resist him (considering he was vastly above his original weight) are reason enough to explain what happened to him.

He dared to be great by going up in weight and it certainly wasn't in his best interest. I won't fault him for taking risks - that's what we love about fighters. Fighters that hide behind B's when A's are out there, just to protect their legacy are the real shame in our sport.

Who cares about BJS...I'd rather see Cotto/GGG under any circumstances as he waits for the Canelo rematch. Cotto's footwork is just as good and he hits harder even at this stage in his career than Billy.

Cotto is the payday; BJS is the final piece of the unification.

I like GGG in both at this stage in the game.

I'm not sure either will actually fight him though until the contract is signed, sealed, and delivered.

And if Canelo is talked into a rematch, I bet GGG fights neither since he'll not want to risk damage or even a loss before that showdown to try and settle things with Canelo. He might even have a clause written in where he can't fight before May in order to protect the "value" of the Canelo fight.

Honest question: Do you think BJS could be a problem for GGG?

Saunders could give him problems for the first few rounds as he tends to be sharp early (if he has bothered to train for the fight), but he gets annihilated past that as he always slows down even when he seemingly shows up in decent shape.

id prefer the BJS fight but if not GGG should fight in December either way. He'll batter Cotto but id watch.

He still has an elite jab, world class chin, loads of power, and the intimidation factor. Those qualities still make him the favorite over any MW in the next 6-12 months.

Not to mention inhuman stamina.

Cotto vs Canelo was a fairly even match imo.

Canelo was significantly bigger and he didn't feel much of Cotto's power and that gave him the fight.
Cotto still is in a pretty good shape and he's an elite boxer.

He's a tough fight for anyone and if I was GGG I would go for Sanders if possible.
Best opponent for him.

In a perfect world Canelo fights Jacobs and Golovkin fights Sanders and then we get GGG against the winner.

Cotto vs Canelo was not a close fight, it was competitive but canelo was the clear winner

I think you either have to be an elite level (i.e. Floyd Mayweather, A Ward) pure boxer or a very good boxer puncher like Canelo or Jacobs to trouble GGG. He beats everyone else.

Cotto may be fighting Mikey Garcia in December. Sounds crazy but crazier things have happened. The Mexican (American) vs Puerto Rico rivalry always attracts when you have two big name fighters. Both of these articles were published today on BoxingScene.

Roach on The Miguel Cotto vs. Mikey Garcia Possibility
Mikey Garcia Serious: I'd Go To 154 For Miguel Cotto in December
I read that. That's a lot of fucking weight for him to skip. Mikey wants that payday

I think you either have to be an elite level (i.e. Floyd Mayweather, A Ward) pure boxer or a very good boxer puncher like Canelo or Jacobs to trouble GGG. He beats everyone else.

I think lara gives GGG a lot of problems, cant think of to many that could successfully stay away from that power

Everyone loves Cotto, so no one should want to see this fight happen.

Back