GGG likes calling out little guys

100% Bullshit.
The sanctioning body determines the weightclass for each of it's belts. If the WBC say the weight limit to contest the belt is 160 lbs, then by Christ it's 160 lbs.

Sometimes to make a fight between two guys from different weight classes doable, it's perfectly fine to pick something in the middle. Negotiate what you want if it isn't a title fight, but when you are contesting for a championship belt the weight is governed by the sanctioning body.

If the WBC wants to create a new weight class for Canelo, and make him the champ that's one thing, but if you are claiming to be the MW champion, it's 160.
155 is middleweight. Are you people mentally deficient? Mw is anything over 154 pounds to 160. A fight at 155 pounds is a middleweight fight.

Ward was down for Golovkin, just not at 164.
Let's wait and see who can unify 160 and maybe the winner of Kovalev Vs Ward will be willing to come down to 168. Now that Ward is fighting at 175 I don't think 164 will ever happen. We'll see how things work themselves out. All we need is patience.

155 is middleweight. Are you people mentally deficient? Mw is anything over 154 pounds to 160. A fight at 155 pounds is a middleweight fight.
You're the one being dense. Yes, if any fighter wants to fight at 155 for the MW title he is free to do so. The issue is demanding your opponent do the same. It's why the real all time greats went for championships above their weight class at a weight disadvantage. They didn't say I'm too small to win a title in this next division so you need to lose weight for me to get a chance.

Let's wait and see who can unify 160 and maybe the winner of Kovalev Vs Ward will be willing to come down to 168. Now that Ward is fighting at 175 I don't think 164 will ever happen. We'll see how things work themselves out. All we need is patience.
Wards never been a weight cutter and his move will be permanent, main reason it took so long was he wanted his body to get used to it.

Regardless though we our in store for special fights in the near future.

You're the one being dense. Yes, if any fighter wants to fight at 155 for the MW title he is free to do so. The issue is demanding your opponent do the same. It's why the real all time greats went for championships above their weight class at a weight disadvantage. They didn't say I'm too small to win a title in this next division so you need to lose weight for me to get a chance.
Its an issue for you. No one that matters cares.

Bottom line is, if Golovkin wants Canelo, he's going to have to agree to that catch weight. I'm not interested in getting into some crybaby conversation about who likes fighters and who doesn't. It is what it is. We all want to see the fight. Canelo is going to look for an advantage and if Golovkin doesn't play ball, then we probably won't get the fight.

Also, knowing the track record of the WBC and mexican fighters, I'm confident they will not be stripping Canelo of his title. They'll just call one of them super champ or something. Its hilarious you mention the WBC and credibility in the same sentence.

Its an issue for you. No one that matters cares.

Bottom line is, if Golovkin wants Canelo, he's going to have to agree to that catch weight. I'm not interested in getting into some crybaby conversation about who likes fighters and who doesn't. It is what it is. We all want to see the fight. Canelo is going to look for an advantage and if Golovkin doesn't play ball, then we probably won't get the fight.

Also, knowing the track record of the WBC and mexican fighters, I'm confident they will not be stripping Canelo of his title. They'll just call one of them super champ or something. Its hilarious you mention the WBC and credibility in the same sentence.
Well at least we agree on something.

Well at least we agree on something.
People are just emotional in regards to Golovkin and see arguments that aren't there. Everyone wants to see this fight. Not one person out there is saying "Fuck yeah! Catchweights are great!" But several great fighters of this era have made catch weights a thing, even guys who have fought at the same weight.

You just don't seen to comprehend the business side of making a big fight. People talk about how Golovkin made 2 million for a fight like its some big thing. Canelo's OPPONENT in his next fight is making 6 and a half times that amount and most people see the fight as a bad mismatch. Golovkin just doesn't have the promotional pull you guys seem to believe he has.

People are just emotional in regards to Golovkin and see arguments that aren't there. Everyone wants to see this fight. Not one person out there is saying "Fuck yeah! Catchweights are great!" But several great fighters of this era have made catch weights a thing, even guys who have fought at the same weight.

You just don't seen to comprehend the business side of making a big fight. People talk about how Golovkin made 2 million for a fight like its some big thing. Canelo's OPPONENT in his next fight is making 6 and a half times that amount and most people see the fight as a bad mismatch. Golovkin just doesn't have the promotional pull you guys seem to believe he has.
I have zero emotional attachment to either fighter. What I'm saying is coming from a neutral hardcore fan. I understand the business side since I have aquaintances in the business. All I'm saying is that under the rules Canelo doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm interested to see if Junior shows a clear bias towards the Mexican fighter. Even by your own admission I'm right but the WBC is so corrupt they'll mollify Canelo. If the fight gets made great, if not, GGG is more clearly the MW champ than Canelo is. He'll still have options and the WBC will lose all credibility. Do you dispute that?

have you guys been talking with Ward? good luck with that one should it go through

That guy is pretty tough to figure out, you basically need to be better than him everywhere: inside, outside, and mentally. I think Kovalev is a pretty top talent and I don't really see him beating Ward unless he throws a gajillion punches or lands hard on him.

Reached out but it went nowhere. Al and Shawn can't get along and that derailed anything before it really got started. Their issues aren't going away either. Al actually thought he was going to get Ward signed. Flew to Vegas to meet with him and it got close enough that paperwork was getting started but he wasn't going to match Shawn's offer last minute.

That is the one fight I would be concerned about. Ward just does everything well. Key would be activity and to stay on the outside but much easier said then done. When Ward is on top of his game I don't see anyone beating him honestly

i think i read somewhere that GGG used to get the better of Kovalev in training, and that they were not opposed to a fight against him one day........Sergey himself has stated that GGG has "more ways to beat andre ward".......

I highly doubt Golovkin is afraid of anyone, rather, promoters are probably more afraid of lining up their fighters against him.

In Kov interviews there is a lot of respect when he talks about GGG. Maybe he knows if they fought it would be a difficult fight or maybe Kov is just being a nice guy.

Thread title is funny tho, GGG should be switched to Canelo since he fought khan.

Back