GGG likes calling out little guys

whitebelt4life

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He wants to fight Canelo and Mayweather. Floyd began his career at 130. There's plenty of good fighters to fight at 168 (DeGale, the Dirrell brothers, Badou Jack) and 175 (Kovalev, Ward). Why isn't he interested in fighting these guys instead of beating up cans at 160 and calling out midgets?

Canelo... Is a MW and everyone in boxing wants the Mayweather sweepstakes.

He wants to fight Canelo and Mayweather. Floyd began his career at 130. There's plenty of good fighters to fight at 168 (DeGale, the Dirrell brothers, Badou Jack) and 175 (Kovalev, Ward). Why isn't he interested in fighting these guys instead of beating up cans at 160 and calling out midgets?

stupid.gif

Why would the guy with multiple 160 pound championshis who is weeks away from getting the WBC belt added to his pile move up to a division where he wouldn't have any belts and guys still wouldn't want to fight him? That's pretty fucking stupid. Only reason he even gets fights now is because he has mandatory opponents lined up for his belts.

Canelo holds the lineal middleweight WBC championship belt which GGG has been the mandatory for since 2014. GGG has had the interim WBC belt since he crushed Rubio which means he is supposed to get a shot at the actual belt. It's been two years and everyone who has taken that belt has avoided him. That has nothing to do with "calling out midgets" because he has been the mandatory for that belt in HIS weight class for years. And for the record Canelo walks around heavy then GGG and is heavier on fight night as well so calling him a midget is dumb.

Because there are no money fights around his weight other than Canelo. I agree that it'd be interesting to see Golovkin at SMW but there really aren't big fights that can be made there either.

Hagler had to do the same thing to get paid. His biggest paydays were all guys from the welterweight division coming up in weight.

That said, I really think Golovkin and his team are not the brightest when it comes to making big fights. You don't call out the sports biggest star at 154 and then tell the press you won't fight the next biggest star at 155.

He's a blown up welterweight.
Canelo has said he will never cut down to 152 even for Pac. Has fought at 155 in his last few fights. How does that make him a blown up WW. Unless you're talking about Mayweather, he's a legit WW who everyone wants a crack at.

That said, I really think Golovkin and his team are not the brightest when it comes to making big fights. You don't call out the sports biggest star at 154 and then tell the press you won't fight the next biggest star at 155.

The biggest star is 10x more famous than the 2nd biggest.

Also, the 2nd biggest is a middleweight.

GGG would beat the shit out of Mayweather....and he's the one saying he could easily beat GGG.

The biggest star is 10x more famous than the 2nd biggest.

Also, the 2nd biggest is a middleweight.
And Golovkin isn't a pimple on either one's ass. Golovkin MIGHT get a big fight one day when he stops thinking he's a star. He's the very definition of a high risk, low reward opponent. He doesn't help his cause calling out every one at a CW and refusing the one star he actually has a chance at when HE asks for a catchweight.

And Golovkin isn't a pimple on either one's ass. Golovkin MIGHT get a big fight one day when he stops thinking he's a star. He's the very definition of a high risk, low reward opponent. He doesn't help his cause calling out every one at a CW and refusing the one star he actually has a chance at when HE asks for a catchweight.

He offered very fair catchweights to guys outside his division.

Canelo is in his division. Draining yourself to fight a guy who is 174 pounds on fight night is unnecessarily dangerous and probably should not be supported by anybody.

It's a bit different when you drain to fight a relatively light punching welterweight who walks in the ring at 152 pounds.

Comparing the two is silly, its not even close.

Floyd would clown him.

Dude, if Floyd beat him....I'd eat crow like, big time. I know how much you love him, but I think he's wildly overrated.

If he beat GGG, that would shut me right up.

He offered very fair catchweights to guys outside his division.

Canelo is in his division. Draining yourself to fight a guy who is 174 pounds on fight night is unnecessarily dangerous and probably should not be supported by anybody.

It's a bit different when you drain to fight a relatively light punching welterweight who walks in the ring at 152 pounds.

Comparing the two is silly, its not even close.
I really don't care what weight they fight at. Its not really up to me but Golovkin isn't going to have his way here. If Canelo gets stripped, what does Golovkin actually gain? Not a thing. He already has an interim title. Whats important, a paper belt or a career defining opponent and the lineal championship?

Floyd was a champion at 154 when he fought Canelo at 152. Pac beat De La Hoya at 147 but made Cotto sweat off a couple of extra pounds. Geale had to cut weight to fight Cotto. Sergio had to agree to a catchweight and he was the champ. Hell, Sergio Martinez agreed to meet Williams at a catch weight and Williams dwarfed the guy. Those guys wanted big fights. I'm starting to wonder if Golovkin really does want a shot at Canelo.

Dude, if Floyd beat him....I'd eat crow like, big time. I know how much you love him, but I think he's wildly overrated.
You can't just say a guy is "overrated'' because you don't like him.Floyd has more than earned his place at the top of the mountain.

If he beat GGG, that would shut me right up.
Somehow I doubt that.

@Seano I don't think anybody would blame Canelo if GGG turned down 158. But 155 is absurd and pushes the limits of feasibility for almost every middleweight.

@Seano I don't think anybody would blame Canelo if GGG turned down 158. But 155 is absurd and pushes the limits of feasibility for almost every middleweight.
Then Golovkin should probably stop offering fights to other guys at an even lower weight. Just saying, its not helping his cause.

Then Golovkin should probably stop offering fights to other guys at an even lower weight. Just saying, its not helping his cause.

I don't think anybody cares what GGG once mentioned in regards to Mayweather. Canelo is doing what Canelo has been doing to everyone for years. No matter what anybody said, Canelo would say 155 or nothing and a small handful of his fans will support it because they like him.

But anywhere you look online, the vast majority say Canelo is being a coward. GGG just got well over a million views fighting a nobody and probably made a million dollars.

Canelo is not quite the powerhouse superstar compared to GGG that some make him out to be. More popular for sure, but GGG is somebody as well.

Edit: GGG made $2 million against Wade.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...kin-2-million-dominic-wade-500000-boxing-news

And he's sponsored by Nike Air Jordan.

Canelo cannot throw his weight around quite as easily as he and his fans think.

Last edited:
Canelo is the MW champ why wouldn't GGG call him out?

I don't think anybody cares what GGG once mentioned in regards to Mayweather. Canelo is doing what Canelo has been doing to everyone for years. No matter what anybody said, Canelo would say 155 or nothing and a small handful of his fans will support it because they like him.
I've mentioned a hundred times, I'm not really pro catch weight. I just know how boxing works and so do you. You know the fans don't get to make the call.

But anywhere you look online, the vast majority say Canelo is being a coward. GGG just got well over a million views fighting a nobody and probably made a million dollars
Canelo will do just fine no matter who he fights. The people calling Canelo a coward are probably the same ones who say Ward ducked him for not fighting Golovkin at a catchweight, in other words, Golovkin fans.

Canelo is not quite the powerhouse superstar compared to GGG that some make him out to be. More popular for sure, but GGG is somebody as well.
Biggest active star in boxing right now with Pac and Floyd calling it a day. Much bigger moneymaker than Golovkin, no matter how you slice it.

Edit: GGG made $2 million against Wade.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...kin-2-million-dominic-wade-500000-boxing-news

And he's sponsored by Nike Air Jordan.

Canelo cannot throw his weight around quite as easily as he and his fans think.

2 million isn't really that much today. Look at what Broner gets and that guy is awful in every conceivable way you can use the word.

Back