GGG is The RING's new P4P #1, Crawford the TBRB's new P4P #1

No I'm quoting factual information to support my argument, which is: the majority of people think that GGG won.
But you're just making up numbers based on what, sherdog polls?

Like I said, those polls are bullshit. The more popular fighter obviously has an advantage in any such poll. When I see someone posting polls as their proof of something, then I sort of know they are lost and out of ideas.

Like I said, those polls are bullshit. The more popular fighter obviously has an advantage in any such poll. When I see someone posting polls as their proof of something, then I sort of know they are lost and out of ideas.
Then all polls are bullshit because the most popular guy would always get the most votes. Personally I don't believe that, yes you do get some fan bias but many more people just reflect what they saw watching the fight, that GGG won. You just don't like it because you had Jacobs winning. Anyway 35% to 55% is fairly close, nothing like the 80% who thought GGG beat Canelo.

Then all polls are bullshit because the most popular guy would always get the most votes. Personally I don't believe that, yes you do get some fan bias but many more people just reflect what they saw watching the fight, that GGG won. You just don't like it because you had Jacobs winning. Anyway 35% to 55% is fairly close, nothing like the 80% who thought GGG beat Canelo.
I did have Jacobs winning but I also said my opinion that Jacos won doesn't really matter. I can't decide that he actually did win and create my own made up ranking system based around it.

I did have Jacobs winning but I also said my opinion that Jacos won doesn't really matter. I can't decide that he actually did win and create my own made up ranking system based around it.

Sure you can. It's just having an opinion which is what this thread is all about. Plenty of people have chimed in with how they view the P4P rankings and given their own P4P list.

Sure you can. It's just having an opinion which is what this thread is all about. Plenty of people have chimed in with how they view the P4P rankings and given their own P4P list.
I can? And still expect it to be legitimate in a conversation with people who follow the sport?

You can't make up ratings like that in any other sport. In any other sport, you go by the official result.

I can? And still expect it to be legitimate in a conversation with people who follow the sport?

You can't make up ratings like that in any other sport. In any other sport, you go by the official result.

Of course you can have a legitimate conversation as long as you have something back up your argument.

And sometimes the official result is complete bollocks.

Well, you didn't even have to be a Jacobs fan to score the GGG fight for him. I was rooting for GGG - nothing against Jacobs, though - but I scored it 114-113 for Danny.
Same.

So, Canelo obviously being a more popular fighter than GGG helped him in the polls? According to 6,000 people over at Bad Left Hook it didn't. You do have to factor in popularity but only 1/10 in that poll thought Canelo even deserved the draw and another 1/10 thought that he won. Meanwhile, 8/10 thought GGG should've been awarded the W. By that logic even less people felt Canelo should've been legitimately awarded the draw and less would've felt that he won because they were showing favoritism toward the more popular fighter of the two.

Last edited:
So, Canelo obviously being a more popular fighter than GGG helped him in the polls? According to 6,000 people over at Bad Left Hook it didn't. You do have to factor in popularity but only 1/10 in that poll thought Canelo even deserved the draw and another 1/10 thought that he won. Meanwhile, 8/10 thought GGG should've been awarded the W. By that logic even less people felt Canelo should've been legitimately awarded the draw and less would've felt that he won because they were showing favoritism toward the more popular fighter of the two.
Maybe. I think it could have gone either way and a lot of casuals heavily favor punchers.

I think Golovkin is more of a casual fans favorite than Canelo. Not in a bad way, just that his style appeals to fans who don't really like boxing. I'm not sure why Golovkin does such shitty PPV numbers.

Maybe. I think it could have gone either way and a lot of casuals heavily favor punchers.

I think Golovkin is more of a casual fans favorite than Canelo. Not in a bad way, just that his style appeals to fans who don't really like boxing. I'm not sure why Golovkin does such shitty PPV numbers.

The most popular fighters carry the "burden" (more annoying fans but more money for them) of having the largest number of casuals inside their respective fan bases, ie., Canelo, Floyd & Pac this decade. For every hardcore boxing fan that's followed them closely there's exponentially more casuals that outnumber them. It comes with the fame territory of being a star/superstar when you're a PPV level fighter.

Probably, but he's still significantly less popular and by virtue of being less popular he has less casual fans attached to him in total. If we're talking proportionally, his casual to hardcore fan ratio, then I'm sure that Golovkin does have the larger share of casuals relative to his hardcore fans. I doubt very many of his fans even watched him fight Proksa in his American debut in 2012 much less any of his fights prior unless they went back and YouTubed them to get up to speed. Golovkin's casual fanbase isn't as crazed over him now as they were before he fought Brook and then Jacobs because he's looked very human (outside of his chin).

The fuck does that even mean?

GGG has no fans at all compared to Canelo and the most popular fighter at any given point in time is obviously going to have the biggest amount of casual fans out there because that's how you get to be the most popular.

Just because you dislike punchers compared to boxers doesn't mean casual fans feel the opposite way. Floyd was the exact opposite of a puncher and he was by far the biggest fight seller of the last decade because casuals buy his fucking fights. Saying GGG appeals to fans "who don't really like boxing" is beyond moronic. Liking knockouts and power doesn't make anyone a casual fan. Liking pure boxing doesn't make anyone a hardcore fan either. I generally respect your opinion but you are really coming off like you think you and your opinion are better than everyone else's.

GGG has no fans at all compared to Canelo and the most popular fighter at any given point in time is obviously going to have the biggest amount of casual fans out there because that's how you get to be the most popular.

Just because you dislike punchers compared to boxers doesn't mean casual fans feel the opposite way. Floyd was the exact opposite of a puncher and he was by far the biggest fight seller of the last decade because casuals buy his fucking fights. Saying GGG appeals to fans "who don't really like boxing" is beyond moronic. Liking knockouts and power doesn't make anyone a casual fan. Liking pure boxing doesn't make anyone a hardcore fan either. I generally respect your opinion but you are really coming off like you think you and your opinion are better than everyone else's.

With regards to Floyd, it probably should be brought up that, generally speaking, casuals bought his fights to see him lose.

Even though I though GGG won I also think Canelo proved he was the more skilled fighter. Realistically I think its between Canelo, Vasyl, and Rigo.

I wasn't speaking in riddles. Golovkins style appeals to casual fans. You're actually going to pretend to be offended by that? Come the fuck on.

Also, lets not try to pretend that Golovkin is some obscure, maligned fighter with no support.

Thread title changed to update the rest. Here are the latest major P4P list updates.

To recap The RING's from the OP

1) Golovkin
2) Crawford
3) Lomachenko
4) Rigondeaux
5) Kovalev (?)
6) Canelo
7) Garcia
8) Inoue
9) Spence
10) Wangek (Srisaket Sor Rungvisai)
https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=251

ESPN's P4P list
Results through September 21st

1) Golovkin
2) Lomachenko
3) Crawford
4) Canelo
5) Thurman
6) Spence
7) Rigondeaux
8) Garcia
9) Kovalev (?)
10) Inoue
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20775716/pound-pound-rankings-andre-ward-retires-new-no-1

The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board's (TBRB) P4P list

1) Crawford
2) Golovkin
3) Lomachenko
4) Canelo
5) Inoue
6) Santa Cruz
7) Garcia
8) Rigondeaux
9) Wangek (Srisaket Sor Rungvisai)
10) Thurman
http://www.tbrb.org/p4p

BoxRec's P4P list (computerized points system)

1) Canelo (still?)
2) Crawford
3) Golovkin
4) Lomachenko
5) Wangek (Srisaket Sor Rungvisai)
6) Joshua
7) Horn
8) Nery (just popped!)
9) Berchelt
10) Thurman
http://boxrec.com/en/ratings

TBRB looks pretty good imo. Boxrecs list looked like a drunk guy naming whatever he could think of there for awhile. I’m surprised Mike Tyson isn’t listed somewhere.

TBRB looks pretty good imo. Boxrecs list looked like a drunk guy naming whatever he could think of there for awhile. I’m surprised Mike Tyson isn’t listed somewhere.

I noticed the TBRB's update so I figured I'd post it and change the thread title. BoxRec's I only included because if you check a fighter's Wiki page and they're P4P ranked there then they still mention it.

Lomo is the best fighter in the world.

Crawford is the one with the best scoreboard.

It's one of those two, IMO.

Lomo is the best fighter in the world.

Crawford is the one with the best scoreboard.

It's one of those two, IMO.

Then it has to be Crawford because Lomo is the hipster's pick of the litter nowadays. For me Horn is the best. He now has a certified 1st ballot HOF ATG on his record in just his 18th fight. He wasn't even Top 10 ranked in the division when he beat Pacman and took his WBO title. Brisbane Horn can only be defeated by stoppage, and he's undefeated. He's the bogeyman of the Welterweight division.

Back