Getting weight as low as possible for first fight

Davem10

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i plan on fighting for the first time in a few months. I want to get my weight low as comfortably possible

How should i go about this ?

My current routine is 3x a week boxing 2x a week weight lifting

My own idea, is to of course get my diet on point and add in 45 minutes cardio every morning on something that will give me very low strain, such as a cross trainer. Nothing intense, maybe just do one of the pre set programs, fat burn or something and get a good sweat on.

I imagine id be able to add that in with no negative side effects like i would get from long running etc, which for me personally really starts to hurt my knees

For other who have done the same, does that sound right ?

You dont have to do cardio every single day, although putting in that extra low intensity work is definitely an advantage. Just make sure you get adequate rest and listen to your body.

Should have posted what you weigh and your bodyfat percentage

Just don't do dinner, then some weeks later don't breakfast neither.

So i plan on fighting for the first time in a few months. I want to get my weight low as comfortably possible

How should i go about this ?

My current routine is 3x a week boxing 2x a week weight lifting

My own idea, is to of course get my diet on point and add in 45 minutes cardio every morning on something that will give me very low strain, such as a cross trainer. Nothing intense, maybe just do one of the pre set programs, fat burn or something and get a good sweat on.

I imagine id be able to add that in with no negative side effects like i would get from long running etc, which for me personally really starts to hurt my knees

For other who have done the same, does that sound right ?
Why "as low as possible"? Isn't there a set weight limit?

Why "as low as possible"? Isn't there a set weight limit?

Yes but i dont know what my limit is yet, im carrying fat and dont know how low i can go so im going to find out and then can see which weightclass i fit into

Im just wanting to know the best method without sacrificing muscle and strength while also not hurting my ability to perform at boxing.

I'll just do my cross trainer idea for now unless anyone suggests something better

Yes but i dont know what my limit is yet, im carrying fat and dont know how low i can go so im going to find out and then can see which weightclass i fit into

Im just wanting to know the best method without sacrificing muscle and strength while also not hurting my ability to perform at boxing.

I'll just do my cross trainer idea for now unless anyone suggests something better
Do you train in a gym? Do you have a coach? I'm guessing yes? Ask him! He'll know what's best for you.

Do you know any wrestling coaches? Ask them! Wrestlers are EXPERTS at weight cutting.

Can you visit a dietitian? Please do! He knows better than 99% of us here on Sherdog.

Remember to cut without risking your heath! Some tips:
https://www.childrenscolorado.org/c...ition/wrestlers-tips-on-losing-weight-safely/
https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/making-weight-why-fighters-cut-weight-and-3-tips-for-doing-it

(your doctor will probably repeat these points too)

PS. If you are carrying EXCESS fat you can adjust your diet and training to lose it anyway, fight or no fight.

PPS. Once you've done the above, you can actually do like Machida or Nelson and NOT CUT WEIGHT (pre-fight) at all.
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...ht-cutting-should-be-eliminated-in-mma-050616

Find out your TDEE (maintenance by your activity level), subtract 500 from that number (to lose 1lb/week) and eat that number everyday until you're satisfied weightwise.

Keep your macro-nutrients as:
  • 1g / bodyweight for protein
  • 0.35g / bodyweight for fats
  • fill the rest up with carbs
If you can (most people, some when more experienced will) do 2lbs/week, which is the most safely. Then you can do it. Keep in mind that if you diet for more than 16 weeks, your metab will adjust and might have to take it easy transitioning back up to maintenance or even bulk afterwards.

Now if you're quite fat and you aim to lose 2lbs a week (1000 calorie deficit), and you lose more, its just water weight, don't be too nervous about it.

I will upload a photo now to show you guys and get opinions on how much i can lose

Do you train in a gym? Do you have a coach? I'm guessing yes? Ask him! He'll know what's best for you.

Do you know any wrestling coaches? Ask them! Wrestlers are EXPERTS at weight cutting.

Can you visit a dietitian? Please do! He knows better than 99% of us here on Sherdog.

Remember to cut without risking your heath! Some tips:
https://www.childrenscolorado.org/c...ition/wrestlers-tips-on-losing-weight-safely/
https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/making-weight-why-fighters-cut-weight-and-3-tips-for-doing-it

(your doctor will probably repeat these points too)

PS. If you are carrying EXCESS fat you can adjust your diet and training to lose it anyway, fight or no fight.

PPS. Once you've done the above, you can actually do like Machida or Nelson and NOT CUT WEIGHT (pre-fight) at all.
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...ht-cutting-should-be-eliminated-in-mma-050616

I dont want to ask my coach as he wants me to fight now, like next week. If i ask him he says youre fine now youre ready to go now. I disagree and want to get down lowwwwwww body fat

I dont know any wrestlers or dietians

Just guessed other people on here would have had fights and done the same thing so could offer their experiences

I dont want to ask my coach as he wants me to fight now, like next week. If i ask him he says youre fine now youre ready to go now. I disagree and want to get down lowwwwwww body fat

Just guessed other people on here would have had fights and done the same thing so could offer their experiences
What country you from? Don't you have health insurance? If yes - go to a doctor for advice.
Also, I think it's always better to trust your coach. Based on the pics and my (completely uninformed) opinion you don't have much need to cut.

I've been up and down, have been through bad advice, and good, and what I can say is ideally you have to find the weight class you perform your best at. There is no point in killing yourself to be so weak just so you can get a "size" advantage. Everyone's different like a suit, it needs to be tailored, not pulled off the shelf and expect a 100% fit.

In the heavier divisions (170+), at amateur its not too rare to see people who "look" out of shape (15-18% bodyfat). Obviously its better to get in shape with lower bodyfat so its not taxing you, but if you perform better with some fat, then by all means.

Amateur is the place to test where you lie ideally, and to get exp. Pro is when you take it seriously as money is involved. Your AM record doesn't count when you're pro so milk it as much as you can.

To be honest, it would be good if more coaches were open minded like yours.

I've been up and down, have been through bad advice, and good, and what I can say is ideally you have to find the weight class you perform your best at. There is no point in killing yourself to be so weak just so you can get a "size" advantage. Everyone's different like a suit, it needs to be tailored, not pulled off the shelf and expect a 100% fit.

In the heavier divisions (170+), at amateur its not too rare to see people who "look" out of shape (15-18% bodyfat). Obviously its better to get in shape with lower bodyfat so its not taxing you, but if you perform better with some fat, then by all means.

Amateur is the place to test where you lie ideally, and to get exp. Pro is when you take it seriously as money is involved. Your AM record doesn't count when you're pro so milk it as much as you can.

To be honest, it would be good if more coaches were open minded like yours.
QFT
Fully agree.

Just don't do dinner, then some weeks later don't breakfast neither.

I clicked "like" not because this is a good idea by any means just to be clear, but because this made me laugh. I feel like I have to explain as I can imagine him seeing a lot of likes on your comment and actually going for that option lol

I'm a little unsure of what you're asking. Do you mean to cut water weight for a fight, or just walk around lighter in general?

First things first. Stop lifting. Do plyometrics, body weight stuff, low weights high reps but don't lift heavy.

Secondly- start running. 5 days a week with two days off in a row. 2-3 days of sprint intervals, 2-3 days of a 3 mile run at a good pace.

3rd. If your water intake is less than a gallon a day, step it up to a gallon.

4. Monitor your diet with myfitnesspal app. Eat clean and cook for yourself. Personally I had the best weight cut of my career when I went ketogenic but I know it's not for everyone. (Technically I went on a targeted ketogenic diet- I'd eat 25-30g of simple carbs half hour before training)

I'm a little unsure of what you're asking. Do you mean to cut water weight for a fight, or just walk around lighter in general?
Walk around lighter, he posted a pic earlier and mentioned trimming off some fat

<mma3>
I lost about 5 kg in two weeks (77->72 kgs) on low-carb diet.
No breads, no sweetes or sweet drinks, only low-fat meat (so mostly chicken breasts or so), vegetables, mushrooms, also choose high-protein products meals (low fat cottage cheese, not sure if you have it in your country, egg whites).
Also 5 trains a week.
It was easy, i know could cut even more.

Back