Getting stacked during triangle

No I'm not trying to discredit youbfor following ryans way. I am saying however that regurgitating him (without giving him credit btw) does not make one way the only way.

It's about what fits your game. Not about the one best way. You have been given two examples by two respected black belts, one of them being legendary. Yet you want to just regurgitate Ryan's words like they are dogma.

What part of there are more ways than one to finish a triangle do you not get?

it seems like my english inst quite good so I might not be getting my point across....

let me refresh this...

"Being straight in front of him is highly inefficient, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, is just not the best way to d it."

being highly inefficient doesnt mean is innefective, is just mean that theare are better ways.

I have no idea what regurgitate means, I looked around, didnt find anything, but I dont know what you mean by not giving him credit... to whom, ryan? the fuck...I said in my very first post, WATCH ryans dvd, its gold...

I agree with you that most of techniques are done in the best way it fits your game, the triangle is not one of them.

its quite simple, you cannot possible generate more power staying square infront as you can get from getting a 90 degree angle, if you have shorter legs, you cannot possible have an easier time staying locking the triangle square infront than getting a 90 degree angle you cant, its not possible, as you turn, your legs have much better reach....also you can get slam on your head if you are staying square infront of your opponent, this cannot be done once you are perpendicular, not to mention you cannot get stacked being perpendicular, which was one of the concerns of TS.

its like trying to argue that the RNC on top of the head fits some people better than a fully locked behind the head RNC. Its quite silly to try to argue which one is more efficient, yet both are effective.

Now, I have for the second time, cited you the benefits of not staying square, so how about you mention why you think staying square is better for some people...

by he way, I rather 100 times take ryan halls advice on how to do a triangle choke over renzos...does this mean ryan is a better grappler than renzo? no...based on evidence, he has a way better triangle choke.

Last edited:
If you do the triangle correctly from then front :
Some of benefit is that the triangle is actually entered depending on your game and body type, second is that it should an extremely tight triangle because you only lock the arm and neck (as renzo pointed out). It is harder for them to stack you or lift you up because you are further away from them.

These are a few benefits. You are just regurgitating what Ryan said on a DVD he is selling (verbatim almost without admitting it is Ryan's words) as if you have some magical insight.

Your rnc analogy is asinine, it has no relevance to our conversation. The correct analogy would be the thumb in or thumb out grip in an over under pass.

Or do you think that renzo doesn't know how to execute a triangle.

This is the difference between your posts and mine:

You think there is only one way.

I think there are several different ways depending on ones game and body type.

This is an odd conversation, BJJ Rage is 100% correct it is unquestionably more efficient to cut to the angle, it's just basic biomechanics. If you have very long legs or your opponent has relatively narrow shoulders you can even get the tap at the inverse angle, but that doesn't mean it's efficient. Once you lock up the choke and cut the angle it's difficult for your opponent to stack as you can redirect his forward motion perpendicular to your body. If you have physical advantages over your opponent you can lock it up parallel with no danger of being stacked, but you shouldn't be adopting inferior technique just because you're bigger than the guy you're grappling against.

If you do the triangle correctly from then front :
Some of benefit is that the triangle is actually entered depending on your game and body type, second is that it should an extremely tight triangle because you only lock the arm and neck (as renzo pointed out). It is harder for them to stack you or lift you up because you are further away from them..

well, this is just wrong, if you are wearing a jacking shirt or gi, you can get lift by a strong guy. Your a black belt, you should know this.

It is harder for them to stack you or lift you up because you are further away from them

harder than what? than staying perpendicular? anyone whos any good at triagnles knows this is bullshit. IF you are staying infront, you may make things more difficult by breaking posture, hiping away and doing some stuff, it doesnt mean a very strong guy wont lift you up, you are infront, if he has something to grab on, he will lift you up... if you are staying perpendicular, is not physically possible, because you are attached to his body, of course you need to hook something, a leg/arm/hip...

These are a few benefits. You are just regurgitating what Ryan said on a DVD he is selling (verbatim almost without admitting it is Ryan's words) as if you have some magical insight.

how many times are you gong to post this bullshit? why dont you read my post, I said, WATCH RYAN HALLS DVD, ITS GOLD... did I say, watch bjj_rages dvd, its gold? again, lying your ass off.

Your rnc analogy is asinine, it has no relevance to our conversation. The correct analogy would be the thumb in or thumb out grip in an over under pass.

of course it has, 2 different ways to squeeze a neck, one generates more power than the other. thumb in or thumb out could apply too.

Or do you think that renzo doesn't know how to execute a triangle.

This is the difference between your posts and mine:

You think there is only one way.

I think there are several different ways depending on ones game and body type.

my english must be the problem...

I never said renzo doesnt know to do it.

I never said it doesnt work.

I said there are better ways, and explained why.

Last edited:
What people are saying about cutting the angle is true... Mostly.

I always cut the angle, and generally have success, but sometimes -particularly in the gi - I still run in to problems with people basically using a paper cutter choke and stack to force me to give up the triangle.

I'll angle to the side and under hook the arm/leg, then they use their free forearm to crush my throat and stack me, then once I release my legs, they pass to that side.

I'm still yet to come up with a solid solution to this.

#WhiteBeltProblems

If you've locked up the choke correctly they'll be tapping before this is an issue. I suspect your problem is before you've cut the angle, like your leg over their neck not being in the crook of the back of the knee on the other leg. Either way you have 2 arms and they only have one, you should be able to deal with this. I can't recall ever having this issue which makes me this the problem is the lock before you turn.

well, this is just wrong, if you are wearing a jacking shirt or gi, you can get lift by a strong guy. Your a black belt, you should know this.

I am a brown belt. If you get lifted you are still under your opponent/too close. If you are far enough then your opponent should not be able to lift you.

harder than what? than staying perpendicular? anyone whos any good at triagnles knows this is bullshit.

Like renzo? Or like bojern?

IF you are staying infront, you may make things more difficult by breaking posture, hiping away and doing some stuff, it doesnt mean a very strong guy wont lift you up, you are infront, if he has something to grab on, he will lift you up... if you are staying perpendicular, is not physically possible, because you are attached to his body, of course you need to hook something, a leg/arm/hip...

I said there are better ways, and explained why.

What you could say is :
why you like to do it a certain way and that the TS should explore all methods of executing the technique and pick what works best for him.

But hey you got a Ryan hall DVD and a soapbox.

Last edited:
I am a brown belt. If you get lifted you are still under your opponent/too close. If you are far enough then your opponent should not be able to lift you.

Like renzo? Or like bojern?

What you could say is :
why you like to do it a certain way and that the TS should explore all methods of executing the technique and pick what works best for him.

But hey you got a Ryan hall DVD and a soapbox.

Lmfao. Ok have your way lol...

It is about finding what works for you

I am aware some of the best guys like to do it the traditional way, it doesn’t mean is the best... why don’t you ask Arona if he’s going to stay infront of his opponent next time he goes for a triangle...

I am aware some of the best guys like to do it the traditional way, it doesn’t mean is the best... why don’t you ask Arona if he’s going to stay infront of his opponent next time he goes for a triangle...

Again a flawed example arona was talking to the ref and released the triangle because he thought rampage was passed out. When page recovered and, he went into arona a bit allowing him to lift him up. Arona already choked page out. He got slammed because he let go of the triangle.

Lmfao. Ok have your way lol...

That is the thing it is not "my way" it is just "one of the possible ways". That is the difference between what you are saying and what I am saying.

That is the thing it is not "my way" it is just "one of the possible ways". That is the difference between what you are saying and what I am saying.

And you don’t seem to get that I never said one is wrong, I said one is more efficient than the other.

Get it?

Again a flawed example arona was talking to the ref and released the triangle because he thought rampage was passed out. When page recovered and, he went into arona a bit allowing him to lift him up. Arona already choked page out. He got slammed because he let go of the triangle.

Arona didn’t even have the triangle locked, your memory is failing you. He was in diamond guard or whatever you want to call it (yes Ryan named this position, just in case you want to say... your again not giving credit to Ryan for whatever)

Here is the vid..

A longer version...

Last edited:
Arona didn’t even have the triangle locked, your memory is failing you. He was in diamond guard or whatever you want to call it (yes Ryan named this position, just in case you want to say... your again not giving credit to Ryan for whatever)

Here is the vid..

A longer version...

I'm talking about before this attempt

And you don’t seem to get that I never said one is wrong, I said one is more efficient than the other.

Get it?

How about you get off your highhorse and be a bit more humble to people like Bjorn,renzo, rennor, and others.

And I’m talking about this attempt...

Wich is ridiculous because he didn't even have the triangle locked. Clearly the straight triangle was not locked in. Just like if the perpendicular triangle wasn't locked in a person would fail, get hammered, or get kneed.

How about you get off your highhorse and be a bit more humble to people like Bjorn,renzo, rennor, and others.

Wich is ridiculous because he didn't even have the triangle locked. Clearly the straight triangle was not locked in. Just like if the perpendicular triangle wasn't locked in a person would fail, get hammered, or get kneed.

My high horse? Because i think there’s a More efficient way to do a technique shown by some other dude? My high horse my ass, why don’t you bite some dirt and say, sorry dude didn’t see you mentioned Ryan on your first post.

While is true that Arona had not a locked triangle, unless you are putting away the on the first squeeze the risk is the same, if you stay infront if your opponent you can get lift up, if you are perpendicular, you can’t, simple as that.

If you can control your partner's posture more it will be harder for them to be able to stack you. You can do that with some of the methods other people have mentioned already. Pulling down on the head can help with this sometimes as well.

I prefer to cut an angle when I triangle and hook a leg if possible. Usually when people stack me in this position I am able to take them over and come up into a mounted triangle. From the mounted triangle position there are a few options to finish. There is the regular triangle and then a few arm attacks too.

Another thing to think about as you get stacked is if you can switch to an armbar. Sometimes you can get the armbar without unlocking the triangle and sometimes you may need to unlock the triangle. Depending on how soon you respond to the stacking this may work for you too.

As someone with stumpy legs who loves the triangle, IMO the stacking problem is usually a setup problem. People will tell you to shoulder walk and what not, but usually the bigger problem is that you have not broken down your opponent into the triangle correctly and that is why he is smashing you.

The main issue I see is not using your foot on the hip to stretch the guy out before the lock. Then once the lock is on, not using the foot on the hip to rotate to the side so you can lock a tight finish. People don’t like to work that intermediate stage without the triangle closed. Instead people rush to snap closed a shitty and loose lock, without controlling their opponent, and that’s when you get ants. And stacking.

I've seen it taught a few ways to get the lock -just shooting the hips up (which I don't like) and using the foot on their hip to shoot your hip way up (which I like).

Are you using foot on their hip to push them away instead of just pushing yourself up?

Back