Getting Put on the Fast Track

MMAPARADOX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been going to this boxing gym for 2-3 weeks now. Just hitting the bag.

I've let if be known that I wan to fight. But I still haven't gotten any personal teaching.

Either means they think I'm not serious or I suck so bad they think it's not worth it.

I'm getting older so i wanna get put on the fast track by sparring as much as possible. Self teaching mostly the techniques.

To get them to take me serious I'm gonna start disrespecting the trainers/best guys in the gym. Laughing at them/talking shit to them, so they'll want to spar me and I learn faster.

Not sure if trolling... Maybe you arent getting ignored but theres a process?

x9BVEy.gif

2-3 weeks is not that long. Keep showing up and putting in the work. Ask your trainers to give criticism and show that you can receive instruction. You'll be sparring soon enough.

Probably a troll...

But if U r being ignored U don't have anything they think is worth putting their time into...At this point.

Shut your mouth, don't b an A hole and train hard for a year, U gotta pay your dues by showing commitment before U r worth putting the time into.

2-3 weeks?

Scrub!

LOL!

I've been going to this boxing gym for 2-3 weeks now. Just hitting the bag.

I've let if be known that I wan to fight. But I still haven't gotten any personal teaching.

Either means they think I'm not serious or I suck so bad they think it's not worth it.

I'm getting older so i wanna get put on the fast track by sparring as much as possible. Self teaching mostly the techniques.

To get them to take me serious I'm gonna start disrespecting the trainers/best guys in the gym. Laughing at them/talking shit to them, so they'll want to spar me and I learn faster.

If you want personalized attention (which you should) you must understand boxing gym culture.

There are TWO (2) ways to get attention from the trainers at a boxing gym:

1: Be really really good/athletic and show early aptitude. Doesn 't sound like you right now. Don't worry, only the top 3-6% or so show early promise like Mike Tyson or something. It's probably not surprising to you that you're not a beast from the get-go. That's not even important, imo, if you do this right you can kick that guy (the guy they're fawning over)'s ass later.

2: $.

That's it. You pay for your lessons. I'll bet you didn't know that was the traditional, age-old format of boxing gyms. Pay extra for trainer attention, from the trainer you want. It's worth it, oh boy is it worth it. It's still cheap for what you're getting.
Boxing gyms charge a regular fee just to use the gym/facilities, and then a specialized hourly fee for one-on-one training. Bet you didn't know this. Hourly rates are usually $20-25/hr unless you're getting them from someone who is really well known. Even if it's $50 it can easily be worth it. If you don't listen and think it wont be worth it. If you focus, take notes, think, experiment, and work on it at home and on your own inbetween lessons, it will be worth several times whatever you could possibly pay for it. Lose your ego/preconceptions and experiment honestly. Study resources (books, etc.) outside your gym to supplement .

Do it. If you can't afford day to day lessons, then just buy a lesson here and there or bunch of lessons at a time and work inbetween the lessons on what you've learned. You are NOT expected to be able to afford daily, hourly lessons, almost no one can. Everyone who does boxing is mostly not there because they're rich or well off. Purchase those sessions when you can and space them out how you want (schedule them all beforehand). You can usually get a small discount (just ask) if you buy several in a package deal up front.

Tip: If you really wanna be cheap and get good instruction, find some other guy in there who's not a trainer but is not well off financially, but good at what he does and offer to buy his lunch (don't go with him, just pay him $10-15 or a chilis gift card you got from work lol) as a trade to show you how he does a technique. If he want's more, give him more. It's worth it. If he doesn't want to show you, go to someone else. Someone will want your money. All the trainers in there already will want your money.

The only way to get free lessons is to join the amateur team (if the gym has one) or just be awesome as hell because then they're planning to make that money off you later (the corner gets a cut) when you start going pro. It's a better deal to just pay them, really.

Last edited:
Hahahha! Holy shit man? You for real? That's a rock solid way to lose your ability to chew for a month...
Hey, maybe you're into learning the hard way.....from the sound of it, you could likely use a slice or two of humble pie. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

If you want personalized attention (which you should) you must understand boxing gym culture.

There are TWO (2) ways to get attention from the trainers at a boxing gym:

1: Be really really good/athletic and show early aptitude. Doesn 't sound like you right now. Don't worry, only the top 3-6% or so show early promise like Mike Tyson or something. It's probably not surprising to you that you're not a beast from the get-go. That's not even important, imo, if you do this right you can kick that guy (the guy they're fawning over)'s ass later.

2: $.

That's it. You pay for your lessons. I'll bet you didn't know that was the traditional, age-old format of boxing gyms. Pay extra for trainer attention, from the trainer you want. It's worth it, oh boy is it worth it. It's still cheap for what you're getting.
Boxing gyms charge a regular fee just to use the gym/facilities, and then a specialized hourly fee for one-on-one training. Bet you didn't know this. Hourly rates are usually $20-25/hr unless you're getting them from someone who is really well known. Even if it's $50 it can easily be worth it. If you don't listen and think it wont be worth it. If you focus, take notes, think, experiment, and work on it at home and on your own inbetween lessons, it will be worth several times whatever you could possibly pay for it. Lose your ego/preconceptions and experiment honestly. Study resources (books, etc.) outside your gym to supplement .

Do it. If you can't afford day to day lessons, then just buy a lesson here and there or bunch of lessons at a time and work inbetween the lessons on what you've learned. You are NOT expected to be able to afford daily, hourly lessons, almost no one can. Everyone who does boxing is mostly not there because they're rich or well off. Purchase those sessions when you can and space them out how you want (schedule them all beforehand). You can usually get a small discount (just ask) if you buy several in a package deal up front.

Tip: If you really wanna be cheap and get good instruction, find some other guy in there who's not a trainer but is not well off financially, but good at what he does and offer to buy his lunch (don't go with him, just pay him $10-15 or a chilis gift card you got from work lol) as a trade to show you how he does a technique. If he want's more, give him more. It's worth it. If he doesn't want to show you, go to someone else. Someone will want your money. All the trainers in there already will want your money.

The only way to get free lessons is to join the amateur team (if the gym has one) or just be awesome as hell because then they're planning to make that money off you later (the corner gets a cut) when you start going pro. It's a better deal to just pay them, really.
or be a really hot chick and one of the thirstier trainers will offer unsolicted hands-on attention.

Back