Getting kimura'd in side control

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I do the over under pass a lot and I think I've figured out how to get my arm straight/tight enough where they can't kimura me during the pass. Now what happens a lot is I pass and they manage to get a kimura grip in bottom side control. They can't submit me there but it inevitably leads to a sweep cuz the grip is so strong.

Is there an ideal hand/arm placement I should have as soon as I pass? Or alternatively, is there a good way to break the grip in that position if they lock it up?

Switch to the other side and armbar, a la Matt Hughes v GSP.

Going for the armbar will very likely to get you swept by anyone decent with the kimura. It’s a trap nowadays. Posturing up quickly while preshing with the other arm may not be very sexy, but it works more often imo. Also, you could try going to mount and posture from there. Some people expect the spinaround so much they won’t even consider you actually just going to mount. seriously messes with their flow.

Jason Scully has nice responses to the kimura mid pass in this vid. If they get it in side control then it tends to be because you are out of position after the pass. Scully adresses that here.

Last edited:
I love the over under and i never get kimuraed from there. I dont even see how is possible if your pressure is correct

I love the over under and i never get kimuraed from there. I dont even see how is possible if your pressure is correct
If people don't keep the over arm straight it's easy to catch it in the kimura grip. It's hard to finish from there but i find it makes people forget about the pass and worry about their arm.

You need to flatten their hips more. Stop worrying about the pass from the over under, and worry more about applying pressure and keeping his hips flat. Walk backwards towards his hips and keep pressure down.

If you are doing what most people do, get the over under and then try to go straight for the pass, the guy will be able to sit up, frame, kimura, etc and basically block the pass.

Watch Bernardo Faria's videos on over under pass.

Bottom line: Actually going to side body is the least important part of the pass. That should not be even on your mind. You can put so much pressure on from the over/under that they will be begging to give you side body.

If people don't keep the over arm straight it's easy to catch it in the kimura grip. It's hard to finish from there but i find it makes people forget about the pass and worry about their arm.
I hate to admit it, but this happens to me, too. (I don't get subbed with a kimura, but my opponent locks it up and I have to defend) I'm probably rushing the pass and not getting proper pressure.

For when someone is able to lock up a kimura on you during an over/under pass, Bernardo Faria teaches to:

1. For one, don't finish the pass. You just give him the opportunity to sweep or finish the submission if you do.
2. Instead, reach under his leg with your other arm (the "under" arm) and grab his wrist to peel his kimura grip off.
3. Once you're able to peel it, he'll be in a very poor position to defend a crossface from the arm that he was trying to kimura. Crossface and switch to passing from half or 3/4 mount with dominant grips.

Here's him using this defense against AJ Agazarm (starts at about 1:30):

Last edited:
I just am still not seeing it, I dont keep my arm straight in it either. i curl both arms. am i doing that wrong..? i have been able to hit this on everyone, even black belts when i am in position

I can see it when you are trying to stuff the leg like in that jason scullys video posted above how your arm is exposed

Wat
I just am still not seeing it, I dont keep my arm straight in it either. i curl both arms. am i doing that wrong..? i have been able to hit this on everyone, even black belts when i am in position

I can see it when you are trying to stuff the leg like in that jason scullys video posted above how your arm is exposed

Watch the video of Bernardo above. AJ gets one locked up on him, that he had to react to.

Good advice so far.

Another option I use sometimes is to just finish the pass and give them the kimura. If I stay down on it, it is not too effective.

Once I am well established, I don't break the grip. Rather I double down on it with an RNC grip through with my free hand. Now they can't easily let go. Then I kimura them with their own grip.

The kimura grip is semi mirrored like this so as long as you are winning the positional battle you can just flip the grip on them like that.

No one here grabs their belt to defend the kimura? Grab your belt, go to north south. You're safe to make your next move from there. No?

If you go towards north south, he can attempt to bridge you over. If you successfully post against the bridge, he can spin to your back or into the kimura lockdown. Grabbing your belt places your hand where he wants it for those moves.

During randori today I worked almost exclusively from over-under guard. Turns out I wasn't tripoding for better pressure. My partner did get a kimura grip at one point so I kept my head buried and started to break the grip like Bernardo does in the video. I got in trouble when I postured up and tried a reverse kimura. My partner threw his leg over my head and eventually got an armbar. So I need to 1. tripod and 2. keep my head buried.

If you go towards north south, he can attempt to bridge you over. If you successfully post against the bridge, he can spin to your back or into the kimura lockdown. Grabbing your belt places your hand where he wants it for those moves.

If you pin the hips? Or sit on their head? IDK.

You can’t sit on his head or pin his hip properly (from north south) because you have given him a frame with your hand on your belt.

Last edited:
Back