Getting into shape before starting training

MMAPARADOX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I want to start seriously training boxing.

I remember an old thread on here about the idea of getting into good shape BEFORE you start training.

The dudes logic was that you train to get into cardio shape before you can actually start training to fight. He used a quote from one of the Rocky movies too.

The thread had some conditioning benchmarks that'd you want to hit. If anyone knows where the thread is or information on the topic I'd appreciate it.

It's better to start boxing now if you're serious. You can be as 'fit' as you want but boxing conditioning is completely different than just cardio.

The only time I would recommend someone "getting into shape" before starting to train was if they were seriously weak with a super low body weight. I would recommend some basic weight training and that would only be for MMA/grappling, to prevent injuries.

I disagree with the poster above. If you're in bad shape (and I mean real bad shape, not just non-optimal shape), your boxing experience will suck, you will take a long time to learn anything, your coach won't take you seriously and you might get discouraged. It's better to put yourself in a situation where you'll be able to learn effectively.

Granted you're not trolling, fuck what anyone says in this thread, you get into boxing shape by boxing. So join now or forever be a cuck beta. Your choice bro.

Going against what the poster said above, trainers are going to know you're a stupid lazy noob. But if you show some promise, they'll gladly take their precious time to mold you into a well conditioned killing machine. It's all about what you put into it.

Worrying about being 'in shape' before starting training is an expression of insecurity.

2-3 weeks of general conditioning wouldn't hurt, if you are really out of shape

you get into boxing shape by boxing

Doing nothing but conditioning to get into normal shape then doing boxing to get into boxing shape is a faster way to get into boxing shape than just boxing.

Just because you will eventually get into boxing shape with boxing alone doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Worrying about being 'in shape' before starting training is an expression of insecurity.

Yeah, people who want to proceed step-by-step are insecure. Look at those guys who warm-up before hitting the bag; bunch of pussies. You should put on the gloves and hit the bag right away. Actually, you should skip bagwork and jump straight into sparring. No, actually you shouldn't waste your time with training in general and do nothing but fighting if you want to be a fighter. Go straight to the finish line.

Doing nothing but conditioning to get into normal shape then doing boxing to get into boxing shape is a faster way to get into boxing shape than just boxing.

Just because you will eventually get into boxing shape with boxing alone doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Yeah, people who want to proceed step-by-step are insecure. Look at those guys who warm-up before hitting the bag; bunch of pussies. You should put on the gloves and hit the bag right away. Actually, you should skip bagwork and jump straight into sparring. No, actually you shouldn't waste your time with training in general and do nothing but fighting if you want to be a fighter. Go straight to the finish line.
Dude someone who is "out of shape" is not suddenly going to know an optimal routine to "get into shape". Attending a class with people and a coach is way better than just doing whatever the fuck some out of shape fat guy thinks is a good way to prepare for boxing..

Unless he hires a personal trainer... you get boxing conditioning from boxing.

TS, Whats your height, weight, and estimated bodyfat percentage?

It doesn't hurt to start classes somewhat in shape, just don't let it delay you for too long. You don't have to be ripped or lean, just able to do what a normal average person can or better.

It's up to you. People that think it's pointless to start getting healthy before taking a martial arts class are basically already able, if not healthy. If you can't do the things an AVERAGE lazy highschooler with no physical training would be able to do, I can see the benefit of raising your level of health up to a minimum of usefulness, so you wont feel like a useless asshole in class while getting slapped around in sparring only because of your lack of physical fitness (not your ability to learn). Also your mind will not be able to keep up in class if you are exhausted and sucking wind off the bat. It's not fair to you to go in like that.

You WILL see people that try the CM Punk method and just jump into classes with no prior thoughts on the matter, usually in even worse shape than him (he looked not fat but he was rickety as hell and basically stayed that way, worse off than most fat people), and they do not tend to stay in class because they take so much punishment that it accumulates quicker than they can improve. I don't blame them for not coming back that 3rd time- they should have realistically showed up in everyday working unimpressive average health or it's worse than bootcamp because in bootcamp its just work, but learning to fight is being told to work while getting physically attacked (sparring) and not standing any kind of chance to even keep up, let alone give anything useful back to your training partners/sparring mates.

Training takes a toll on even healthy people- not being able to spar because you're too fragile and weak is not going to get better quicker than you get beat up and accumulate injuries. That's like trying to learn advanced fencing from day 1 while wearing a full astronaut suit, you're not going to learn much and you will likely injure yourself while feeling correctly like pure garbage. It doesn't have to be that way and I don't know why people would prefer to try it like that because it frankly is starting you off with a disadvantage for no good reason.

I think it's actually respectful to start a class somewhat in working order so you don't force the instructor or other students to lag the class greatly for your sake. But it shouldn't take long. A month or two of pushups and jogging for most slobs is more than enough. If you're like 500 lbs, your priority should be to stop dying first and get your weight down to normal.

Last edited:
Dude someone who is "out of shape" is not suddenly going to know an optimal routine to "get into shape". Attending a class with people and a coach is way better than just doing whatever the fuck some out of shape fat guy thinks is a good way to prepare for boxing..

Unless he hires a personal trainer... you get boxing conditioning from boxing.

TS, Whats your height, weight, and estimated bodyfat percentage?

5'11 220lbs. Idk Bodyfat but I should probably really weigh somewhere between 150-170lbs

2-3 weeks of general conditioning wouldn't hurt, if you are really out of shape

Yeah I was just thinking of benchmarks like

'Be able to run 5 mikes without stopping'

'Be able to do 80 push-ups without stopping'

'Jump rope for X amount of time'

'Be able to do X amount of burpees'

Id like a good benchmark for these

Go ahead and proceed step by step.

First step, go to a gym and see a coach.
Yeah, go see a coach who's going to magically fix all your problems for you. It's that easy.

TS, if you want to waste your coach's time and your own time just so you can brag about being a "boxer", listen to this guy. If you want to truly learn the art of boxing then don't.

Out of shape people don't learn shit. They really don't learn shit since all their focus is on gathering oxygen and standing on their two legs. They don't even get into shape quickly either since they need more time to recover than other people (this is not fucking baseball) and aren't able to train as regularly. All these things can be avoided by doing some basic conditioning (running, skipping, pushups, pullups, squats) every day for a month or two.

Reyesnuthugr's post is pretty spot-on.

Last edited:
5'11 220lbs. Idk Bodyfat but I should probably really weigh somewhere between 150-170lbs

Cut that in half.

* 2 miles without stopping

* 40 pushups without stopping

-- that alone will put you ahead of most of the class. You can keep improving but dont wait till after you can run 5 miles without stopping or 80 pushups before you join or you will just be delaying and you will probably never go, realistically. It's also overkill, more a regimen for if you are competing. Why is overkill bad? Cause you're going to feel like crud when you still get whooped by a bunch of guys who couldn't even do half of your regular conditioning routine, and it's going to ruin your motivation for both things. By that point, you're starting to specialize in exercise, putting your focus in the wrong place at the wrong time, mentally: the cart before the horse.

I thought his post was pretty spot on too.

Heres the thing, this has more to do with the assumptions we're using.

Im assuming an average decently healthy and in shape person; by all means, no time is like the present to start training.

If you're assuming the person in question is a sloppy piece of shit, then obviously it would take a little longer to get up to speed. You shouldn't need to spend much time on it at all though if you're really serious though (its a low bar to reach).

My comment was based on the fact that most people interested in taking up combat sports tend to be among those average decently healthy people.

In that case, worrying about how conditioned you are *before you've even started training yet* is vanity; its worrying about looking like a 'natural' when you first step foot into the gym, instead of actually stepping foot into the gym.

Its not an easy sport; if you don't struggle and end up looking and feeling like a sadsack when you first try martial arts, you've probably picked a pretty sus place.

My point in all this is basically this: throw out any pretensions you may have that you're going to look good when you begin training. Because thats just going to get in the way of the one thing that can actually change that, actually training.

Last edited:
If you're in terrible shape it doesn't hurt at all to do a few months of steady aerobic conditioning, a few strengthening exercises for your joints and some mobility work, before you start boxing.

Lower the risk of injury, you'll recover faster and you'll perform better. You'll still get dead tired and look like a complete newb, because boxing is a different way of using your body, but you'll be better off.

As someone who started training with an athletic base I don't think my experience on this subject matters much, but once you join and see all the progress you make, you'll regret not starting a month or 10 years earlier.

I don#t get why you would need to do this. Ther eis no logical reason to do anything to get in shape but to start training a combat sport. Doing the combat sport will also get you in shape and while you maybe get in shaper quicker doing only S&C you miss 6 months of training and 6 months of training is a ton of missing skill training. 90% the conditioning you get from pure S&C +6 months of actual fighting skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.....>>>>>>>> than 100% of conditioning and no fighting skills.

The difference between someone who trained 6 months and hwo never trained is enormous. No amount of conditioning is worth missing 6 months of skill training and for 99% of non pro athletes (who have already perfected the sport for 5+ years) training he actual sport is more than enough conditioning and even the end result in fitness is minor.

giphy.gif

If you're in terrible shape it doesn't hurt at all to do a few months of steady aerobic conditioning, a few strengthening exercises for your joints and some mobility work, before you start boxing.

Lower the risk of injury, you'll recover faster and you'll perform better. You'll still get dead tired and look like a complete newb, because boxing is a different way of using your body, but you'll be better off.

How do you get injured being a beginner in boxing? Being embarrassed to look stupid is a shit reason not to do something and you will look shit with great conditioning and zero skills as well. After 6 months of boxing you will look 10000 times better than the guy who just "got into shape" for 6 months and just started dropping into classes

Being able to run a mile or two without stopping and do 20 press ups would be more than enough to start. you might want to start with one session a week and do lower impact training on the other days

You should get first some info on the gym you want to go.

It may be an old school type of gym, the trainer will show you some technique, a routine, and then leave you the fuck alone for the rest of the year to hit the bags. He may hold the mitts every now and then, correct your technique once a month, but if you are not a 14y old talented kid he wont give a damn about what shape you're in.

It may be like a MT training camp in Thailand, with trainers interested in you, but you better be in a good shape before starting, or everyday you will feel like dying.

Or it may be a more "normal" gym, with beginners classes, professional coaches knowing how to start with a new member...

Back