Getting frustrated at my gym

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Been there 2 years now.

For the longest time the hour structure was 15 minute warm-up, 30 technique drills (that's about 3 techniques), then last 15 minutes rolling then open mat after class if you want.

Last few months it's warm ups and a shit ton of techniques taking up whole hour, then they end class and then open mat.

The problem is for someone like me who has a lunch hour at work and baby sitting to arrange for kids to go to night classes this makes it extremely frustrating to get even 1 roll in.

At lunch I've been coming in 15 minutes late in the hopes I can roll a few times AFTER class, and at night i often have to leave and not roll at all the baby sitter will want to get paid 2 hours or I have to put kids to sleep or whatever.

I tried to give hints to the two professors but it seems to get worse and worse.

What would you do in this case ? No one else seems to care but me either. It's almost like people don't want to roll

well firstly i wouldnt "give hints" i would air my grievances face to face like a grown up, see what they say and go from there.

15 minutes rolling even when the schedule is followed? Find a new gym.

The first gym I went to for like 3 years didn't even have sparring after class, just once every Tuesday for an hour and a half, and I thought that was completely normal. Seems so crazy to me now

It seems lot of bjj classes are now offering 1 hour class with limited to almost no rolling.
I guess business is business.
Lot of gym tries to squeeze 2 evening classes by offering one hour class.

I suspect they also don't really want new students rolling too much until they build some form of knowledge. Maybe situational rolling would be more suitable.

But no matter how many techniques you can teach or learn, I always felt the rolling part was differentiated bjj to other martial arts. At least 50%
Of the class should be rolling.

It is kind of self explanatory, I even know students that learned bs techniques from fake BB but still manage to become really good because they rolled a lot and self corrected themselves.

It seems lot of bjj classes are now offering 1 hour class with limited to almost no rolling.

I suspect they also don't really want new students rolling too much until they build some form of knowledge. Maybe situational rolling would be more suitable.

But no matter how many techniques you can teach or learn, I always felt the rolling part was differentiated bjj to other martial arts. At least 50%

It is kind of self explanatory, I even know students that learned bs techniques from fake BB but still manage to become really good because they rolled a lot and self corrected themselves.

That's exactly it.

It just seems that as our gym grew and more and more members joined actually rolling as part of the class fell out of the way. At any given day less than a handful of people (and always the same group) stay and roll after class. This results in less competent rolling partners for you too and s smaller pool of competent ones to roll with.

It's just a toxic combo. And I'm competing against guys from gyms like Atos and Gracie humaita all the time that place s much greater emphasis on rolling.

Just frustrated as all hell. I like my professor , consider my gym partners my best friends now so it's so hard to just up and leave somewhere else

Hey man i think you should search for a new gym. Rolling is where you get the most out of BJJ (at least from my personal experience)

I love just drilling actually. You get more positives out of it than you do rolling. Not that rolling isn’t fun or beneficial at all, but long run you’ll improve more with just rolling

For the longest time the hour structure was...

That is where the problem lies - 60min is too short for a class. 90min is needed if you want adequate time for warm up, taught technique, drilling and sparring, otherwise you have to sacrifice at least one element.

Super specific positional sparring is king. You learn technique better and faster than from extra drilling and you get strong as hell from it.

finding someone who wants to just drill for an hour is next to impossible.

finding someone who wants to just drill for an hour is next to impossible.

Just drilling stuff for an hour with alternating timed rounds without having to stop to watch technique is just so cool.
Haven't figure out how to find someone who would me just drilling stuff on him without me having to be uke half the time.

Just drilling stuff for an hour with alternating timed rounds without having to stop to watch technique is just so cool.
Haven't figure out how to find someone who would me just drilling stuff on him without me having to be uke half the time.
The few times I've been able to find someone - we just did 10x each till we hit 100 then if time allowed move on to a 2nd technique.

But I can tell they were bored outta their minds...lol

The few times I've been able to find someone - we just did 10x each till we hit 100 then if time allowed move on to a 2nd technique.
l

I always do timed rounds (like 2.5 minutes or 3 or 5 or whatever). Order is good in training. I tend to do a bunch of different stuff rather than just 1 thing to avoid getting bored.

Why didn’t you publicly shame the fake bb? Or did another club do it? Charlatans should be outed

That's exactly it.

It just seems that as our gym grew and more and more members joined actually rolling as part of the class fell out of the way. At any given day less than a handful of people (and always the same group) stay and roll after class. This results in less competent rolling partners for you too and s smaller pool of competent ones to roll with.

It's just a toxic combo. And I'm competing against guys from gyms like Atos and Gracie humaita all the time that place s much greater emphasis on rolling.

Just frustrated as all hell. I like my professor , consider my gym partners my best friends now so it's so hard to just up and leave somewhere else

Rolling after the class is good b
Why didn’t you publicly shame the fake bb? Or did another club do it? Charlatans should be outed

Why would I bother?

Basically, the whole community knows and their students cover for their BB because they just too deep in.

Go out there on your soap box and demonce people. They just gonna call a hater.

Rolling after the class is good b

Why would I bother?

Basically, the whole community knows and their students cover for their BB because they just too deep in.

Go out there on your soap box and demonce people. They just gonna call a hater.

That’s sad. is the bb running a cult where everyone just blindly follows him?

I always do timed rounds (like 2.5 minutes or 3 or 5 or whatever). Order is good in training. I tend to do a bunch of different stuff rather than just 1 thing to avoid getting bored.

GB classes are extremely structured. Unless it's open mat I can't just no do technique drills and roll all class.

Hey man i think you should search for a new gym. Rolling is where you get the most out of BJJ (at least from my personal experience)

I agree about rolling.... problem is my training partners are my best friends now. Hard to leave man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back