Getting countered off a Low Kick getting caught.

If you want to throw a kick to test the waters, use a lead leg kick, or a pendulum kick:

This is a Sagat special and he did it against most of his opponents if not all.

It's also the GSP and Shevchenko special, both fighters use it as a probe to score points and gauge their opponents' reactions.

Couple ways in this video for getting your leg back when it's caught. First one seems risky against someone trying to punch you, I'd use it against someone trying to sweep or take you down. 2nd method defends the punch and puts you in a good clinch position when you get your leg back.

If you keep getting caught all the time it usually means:

-you're being polite to your partners and slowing down too much thinking it'll take heat off

-youre telegraphing it bad by a delay in timing or extra movement

For counters I like turning it over and teeping them off. Or folding my leg to bring them in and clinch. Br careful here and keep your guard tight, don't pull them in with no guard while they're smashing for a right hand.

If you keep getting caught all the time it usually means:

-you're being polite to your partners and slowing down too much thinking it'll take heat off

-youre telegraphing it bad by a delay in timing or extra movement

For counters I like turning it over and teeping them off. Or folding my leg to bring them in and clinch. Br careful here and keep your guard tight, don't pull them in with no guard while they're smashing for a right hand.
i'm always taking the heat off every strike i through, it's only training after all. i think andymabobs had it right though, my set ups for kicks are just lousy.

i'm always taking the heat off every strike i through, it's only training after all. i think andymabobs had it right though, my set ups for kicks are just lousy.
Its a problem alot of fresh folks have, myself included in the beginning. I thought it had to be fast to be hard, so I ended up throwing some wierd tai chi speed kick and got caught nearly every time. Soon as I figured how to throw fast without heat it got better

Its a problem alot of fresh folks have, myself included in the beginning. I thought it had to be fast to be hard, so I ended up throwing some wierd tai chi speed kick and got caught nearly every time. Soon as I figured how to throw fast without heat it got better
i'm not really green in fighting, just inexperienced in kickboxing. thanks for the advice although

I know you're not green, I just meant generally in regards to the topic.
cheers, i'm always keen to learn new stuff and my kickboxing game is my weakest aspect by far. i have reasonable kicks due to having done heaps of tkd as a kid, but i don't really know how to use them properly, so my set ups are poor.

cheers, i'm always keen to learn new stuff and my kickboxing game is my weakest aspect by far. i have reasonable kicks due to having done heaps of tkd as a kid, but i don't really know how to use them properly, so my set ups are poor.

Is this code for you want to take salsa lessons?

It's also the GSP and Shevchenko special, both fighters use it as a probe to score points and gauge their opponents' reactions.

Couple ways in this video for getting your leg back when it's caught. First one seems risky against someone trying to punch you, I'd use it against someone trying to sweep or take you down. 2nd method defends the punch and puts you in a good clinch position when you get your leg back.

Fun fact, GSP was taught by Firas Zahabi, who in turn was taught by Sagat :D

Fun fact, GSP was taught by Firas Zahabi, who in turn was taught by Sagat :D

Why do you lie to the good people of the Standup forum?
Everyone knows GSP was programmed to fight by aliens!

Like the others said, make him pay for it. Throw some, then feint one to a high kick. Or you can go for a mid kick, but make sure to blast his extended arm. You can also throw one to the calf fallowed by a hook. If he reached for it, he will be wide open for it.

But most importantly, he shouldn't be able to grab it. Throw them at the end of combination and as j123 said, learn how to throw strikes with speed, but without power. It's important for sparring, but it will also help with your technique in general.

Back