Getting bigger...

tymcjr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I know this is the only place I can get real help with achieving my ideal body. I'm a 17 year old highschool student. I roll 4 times a week and occasionally spar with my Taekwondo instructor. I am currently on the quest to getting bigger and wish to have a body type similar to Edson Barboza,
mma_ufc_fx7_06.jpg
as he is my favorite fighter, and I believe he has the best physique in the UFC along with GSP. Any tips to getting as ripped as him? I'm 6'2 with a 76" reach and weigh roughly 152lbs. I've seen threads saying Edson weighs roughly 180 when not training for fights so I guess 185 would do, but how would I get that big? Any workouts you guys recommend? Any supplements? I am new to this. (I run once a day and take kre alkalyn once in the morning and once before I work out as well.)

Stop comparing yourself to other dudes. If you want to get bigger, your goal is now to be a bigger you, not look like some other dude.

As for getting bigger, begin strength training with a linear strength program using barbells 3-4 times a week and start eating more calories than you expend. Start a log on here and track your training and your caloric intake.

Read the stickies, lift heavy, eat more. Squats and food. That's the secret.

Stop comparing yourself to other dudes. If you want to get bigger, your goal is now to be a bigger you, not look like some other dude.

As for getting bigger, begin strength training with a linear strength program using barbells 3-4 times a week and start eating more calories than you expend. Start a log on here and track your training and your caloric intake.
thank you!

Do you think I should use barbells or dumbells? What are the advantages to either? I have dumbells but no barbells
Dumbells are super useful to help mix up your rroutine. It's really hard to get the gains you want without using barbells, though. That's where the real work is done. Compound lifts are critical.

Edit: if they're all you have, though, then look up some good dumbell routines online.

Do you think I should use barbells or dumbells? What are the advantages to either? I have dumbells but no barbells
Since you're in high school you should have a school weight room you can lift in. Hopefully they have a program like my school had where you could take weight lifting class instead of regular PE.

Start a program like Starting Strength that focuses on linear progress in compound barbell lifts.

The first posts kind of nail it. Eat protein and carb rich food like chicken, rice and eggs. Lift weights like dumbells and progress until you start lifting bigger and bigger weights. When I was a teenager I struggled to do 10kg curls, now I can do 20kgs each arm easily. I'm much bigger now at 31 than I was at 17 but I have been training on off during those 14 years. So the muscle kind of accumulated with time.

To look like Barboza specifically I would recommend strength and conditioning training like what you would do in Muay Thai. A solid one hours of punching, kicking, planking, sit ups, burpies, lunges etc and do that 3-4 times a week. It's a lot of hard work but it worked for me. I'm not sure if is suitable for you as you are already thin and you may actually lose muscle mass.

Therefore, Like what the other guys have said just do weights and eat plenty of protein rich food and keep doing what you currently are to doing to keep having fun and training different aspects of your helth. Eggs for breakfeast and chicken for dinner are pretty much staples for me.

The first posts kind of nail it. Eat protein and carb rich food like chicken, rice and eggs. Lift weights like dumbells and progress until you start lifting bigger and bigger weights. When I was a teenager I struggled to do 10kg curls, now I can do 20kgs each arm easily. I'm much bigger now at 31 than I was at 17 but I have been training on off during those 14 years. So the muscle kind of accumulated with time.

To look like Barboza specifically I would recommend strength and conditioning training like what you would do in Muay Thai. A solid one hours of punching, kicking, planking, sit ups, burpies, lunges etc and do that 3-4 times a week. It's a lot of hard work but it worked for me. I'm not sure if is suitable for you as you are already thin and you may actually lose muscle mass.

Therefore, Like what the other guys have said just do weights and eat plenty of protein rich food and keep doing what you currently are to doing to keep having fun and training different aspects of your helth. Eggs for breakfeast and chicken for dinner are pretty much staples for me.
thank you!

Read the stickies, lift heavy, eat more. Squats and food. That's the secret.
This is going to sound dumb, but how do you pull this off without getting fat?

I was overweight/fat pretty much my whole life until I lost a lot of weight (50 lbs) about 3 years ago on a I'm in much better overall shape than I've ever been, but I've pretty much plateaued when it comes to lifting. I've been told and read I need to eat more if I want to gain strength at this point, but as soon as I do, I start getting chubby again.

It was really hard to lose the weight so I really don't want to increase my diet much, but like I said, I'm not really progressing anymore with my lifts.

Any thoughts?

This is going to sound dumb, but how do you pull this off without getting fat?

I was overweight/fat pretty much my whole life until I lost a lot of weight (50 lbs) about 3 years ago on a I'm in much better overall shape than I've ever been, but I've pretty much plateaued when it comes to lifting. I've been told and read I need to eat more if I want to gain strength at this point, but as soon as I do, I start getting chubby again.

It was really hard to lose the weight so I really don't want to increase my diet much, but like I said, I'm not really progressing anymore with my lifts.

Any thoughts?
lean bulk at 0.5lbs/week. You're going over your maintenance so you will gain fat regardless, the idea is to keep it at a minimum. Trying to bulk without getting fat at all does not happen.
Usually you bulk for about 6-10 months (about near 20lbs on a lean bulk), then do a 10-12 week cut cycle.
We all aim for 1/2lb, but occasionally we fall off the wagon and end up at 1lb/week every now and then, so take that into consideration.

Most folks who bulk at 1lb/week tack on too much fat, only a few with good genetics can get away with it, the rest of us, not so much.

TDEE/metabolism is reliant on your activity level. The more active you are, the more you can eat, but be sure to count everything accurately to ensure everything goes as planned.

Yeah, aim for no more than three pounds a month, eat clean, and accept you will gain fat and have to cut eventually.

lean bulk at 0.5lbs/week. You're going over your maintenance so you will gain fat regardless, the idea is to keep it at a minimum. Trying to bulk without getting fat at all does not happen.
Usually you bulk for about 6-10 months (about near 20lbs on a lean bulk), then do a 10-12 week cut cycle.
We all aim for 1/2lb, but occasionally we fall off the wagon and end up at 1lb/week every now and then, so take that into consideration.

Most folks who bulk at 1lb/week tack on too much fat, only a few with good genetics can get away with it, the rest of us, not so much.

TDEE/metabolism is reliant on your activity level. The more active you are, the more you can eat, but be sure to count everything accurately to ensure everything goes as planned.
Thanks for the advice. Just so I make sure I'm understanding, I want to get my diet up until I am gaining about a half pound a week while lifting. That correct?

Also, sorry for if these are dumb questions but any advice on how to get that accurate of a measurement? It seems like it would be hard because it seems like my weight varies 1-2 pounds throughout the day depending on the time and what I have been doing.

Thanks for the advice. Just so I make sure I'm understanding, I want to get my diet up until I am gaining about a half pound a week while lifting. That correct?

Also, sorry for if these are dumb questions but any advice on how to get that accurate of a measurement? It seems like it would be hard because it seems like my weight varies 1-2 pounds throughout the day depending on the time and what I have been doing.
Yep, you eat at a caloric intake where you gain 1/2lb a week.

Its calorie counting.

For getting there, use a basic calculator online to get a ballpark idea of where you are.
Here's one http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Find the number, so eg. it says 2800 of TDEE (maintenance based on activity level) and you would eat 3050 to gain 1/2lb a week (250 calorie surplus). If you gain 1/2lb, then the number was correct, if you gain too much, or lose some, then you work from there.

Yep, you eat at a caloric intake where you gain 1/2lb a week.
Cool calculator, never seen it before. I imagine
Its calorie counting.

For getting there, use a basic calculator online to get a ballpark idea of where you are.
Here's one http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Find the number, so eg. it says 2800 of TDEE (maintenance based on activity level) and you would eat 3050 to gain 1/2lb a week (250 calorie surplus). If you gain 1/2lb, then the number was correct, if you gain too much, or lose some, then you work from there.
Cool calculator, never seen it before

Lift heavy and eat more. Don't relegate yourself to a 7-day M-W-F schedule. Maybe with your sleep habits you need an 8 or 10 day workout week.

After that, remember if you're not recovering, you're not getting bigger/stronger, etc.

Depending on your body type, past injuries, goals etc., don't believe too much in the "Just squat, eat and sleep bro!" mantra that many people here repeat without any real knowledge. Lots of parrots.

Try to find a rep range, frequency and best suited for you. The M/W/F starting strength etc. may not be the best for you. Find what works for you and don't let people tell you any different.

Back