Getting a stronger tighter RNC

Pushing the head down works just as in the triangle.

Not the same, pushing the head down in a triangle without having the arm across only generates a neck crank motion, now, if you have your arms in a v shape, then it's exactly the same as not having the arm across, if you have your forarm across your oppoents throat, then yeah it might help...

Last edited:
well we all have our own view point but every thing i learned about the RNC comes from Braulio he taught me how not to use my mass and strength because i am heavily muscled and weight 16.7 and tired easy during rolling he showed me that the techniques properly applied didn't require strength and sure enough i find it works great for me

And I'm not saying is wrong, it works fine if you have it clean under the chin, but if you have someone who's defending properly and has one hand in one your wrist and the other close to it, might no be enough, it will certanly not be enough id there's some chin involved...

I beg to disagree.

When you have it locked under the chin, sure, not much effort is needed.

When you have 2 hands defending the choke, and one is grabbing your wrist, pulling back with your lats wont be enough, at least if the person is one of those guys who are tough to put away... IF he has some of his chin down, that makes it more difficult, many people abandon the choke, braulios technique is awesome in that case, I personally choke thorugh the chin, its hard to explain, but basically trying to get your shoulder blades together, in a crunching motion, and at the last last very last sec a litte hooking motion...
I rarely find I have to squeeze at all, even with the chin down, but then I have pretty short arms. I think a lot of these detailed finishing mechanics become more critical the lankier you are.

I rarely find I have to squeeze at all, even with the chin down, but then I have pretty short arms. I think a lot of these detailed finishing mechanics become more critical the lankier you are.

Short limbed people need to squeeze less probably, you still have to squeeze some if you have 2 hands in the mix... My experience is, and when I teach rnc class is 1. tapping someone who's grabing your wrist (the choking one) with just a pull back motion is quite difficult and most of the times end up with the guy choking gassing out ...I'm not that weird type of no vein dude by any means... But unless you have a really good squeeze, I can avoid being put to sleep by defending by grabbing the wrist and pulling down... That will normally give me time to get the other hand on the mix...

Not the same, pushing the head down in a triangle without having the arm across only generates a neck crank motion, now, if you have your arms in a v shape, then it's exactly the same as not having the arm across, if you have your forarm across your oppoents throat, then yeah it might help...
Having head down helps for any choke. Make a simple experiment: look up into ceiling and press your own hands onto your carotid arteries (like cross-collar choke on yourself). Then look down and feel the difference.

Disclaimer: My handfighting from the back is weak, and i end up with poor connection, and thus poor chokes. From the back all my subs are armbars and ezekiels

I used to have the same problem. I would never get the RNC, and instead hunt for twisters and triangles... which is really stupid if you NEED to win. Nothing beats the RNC, check this out for some tips I posted a couple years back on hand-fighting at about 8 mins in:

10 minute mark starts the real gold handfighting stuff. Over the past 10 years I've shown this world champions and had them tell me it is a game changer for them.

One of my students had a fight in Australia and was defended for 2 full rounds, after that I had him drill the stuff in that video relentlessly, and a few new tricks, and he was able to submit his next opponent relatively fast in the same situation.

Last edited:
Having head down helps for any choke. Make a simple experiment: look up into ceiling and press your own hands onto your carotid arteries (like cross-collar choke on yourself). Then look down and feel the difference.

Not enough to make a significant difference... back to the triangle example, if you are staying square (not getting the right angle) and you do not get the arm across, pulling the head down will create a neck crank, not a choke. Woudl it feel more tight than not pulling the head down, sure.. will it be enough to put your opponent to sleep... well not really.

If you are pushing the head down, this means you have your palm facing your opponents head, you cannot generate the same ammount of force than if you are making a fist or have your palm grabbing your shoulder... you should concentrate on closing the gap, pushing the head only takes pressure from the squeeze.

I used to have the same problem. I would never get the RNC, and instead hunt for twisters and triangles... which is really stupid if you NEED to win. Nothing beats the RNC, check this out for some tips I posted a couple years back on hand-fighting at about 8 mins in:

10 minute mark starts the real gold handfighting stuff. Over the past 10 years I've shown this world champions and had them tell me it is a game changer for them.

One of my students had a fight in Australia and was defended for 2 full rounds, after that I had him drill the stuff in that video relentlessly, and a few new tricks, and he was able to submit his next opponent relatively fast in the same situation.

dude, this is gold, I do the same thing but a little diffrent...its a great way to deal with the baseball bat defense...

He was showing the push down when you have it locked cleanly without the chin in the way.

its really a good vid, speially how he talks about getting the elbows together, people have a hard time understaning this concept... @Russky is spot on, more than elbows is the shoulder blades, those are generating the power.

Yeah the shoulder blades concept is an important detail that I haven't seen in any other instructional yet. Instead of looking at multiple RNC videos, this is the only one you would need.

He was showing the push down when you have it locked cleanly without the chin in the way.

do you have the vid?

anyways, I am not going to critize rafa at doing anything related to bjj... but I will chose who to take advice on in certain techinques when dealing with 2 different and normally that will be based on my experience.

I would Watch marcelo for stuff realated to RNC...
I would watch rafa for passing back takes stuff.
I would watch Roger for cross collar chokes
I would watch ryan hall for anything related to triangles.

you get my point.

Last edited:

Really good stuff. I'm subscribing.

Was just going over the RNC with some of my students yesterday. A lot of people that have been doing jiujitsu for years know jack all about this choke. Really, if you take someone's back, there shouldn't be any reason other than running out of time, that you shouldn't be able to trap them with a RNC.

Instead of trying to "squeeze" people out with this choke, just try to make the hole that their neck is in, as small as possible. Without a partner, apply the RNC, push your elbows together and slide your "behind the head hand" down your own arm to close off the hole.

A couple of mistakes people make is...
1. giving up on the RNC, just because they can't get their arm underneath the chin
2. giving up on the RNC, because the arm is around the chin instead of under the chin
2. "Going for broke' once they think they have the RNC set
3. Trying to wrap their arm straight around the neck instead of starting on one ear and snaking their arm in a U shape under the chin up to the other ear
4.putting the palm of their hand on top of their head instead of jamming it down behind the back of their head(even with MMA gloves on.)
5. Going directly for the RNC instead of opening your opponent up for it with cross faces

Once the the RNC is set, whether you have in under or around the chin, you should be finishing it by applying the finish slow with slowly increasing pressure the longer you are applying the hold.

Practice your "squeeze" around your own thigh.

Been wanting to come up with a RNC mannequin to practice correct RNC technique lol. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you all for the great content in this thread.

Back