Getting a stronger tighter RNC

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been gearing my game recently towards back attacks, in particular the old favourite RNC.

However there are at least two guys in my class I am simply struggling to choke one I get into the position,

I can't explain it, the choke is on, classic bicep grip and im squeezing but Im getting no tap? Hooks are in and I end up just gassing my arms

Im a 2 stripe blue belt and while the RNC isnt my go to I would like to work on improving it ,simply for a self defence perspective.

Thank you,

Eddi Brah way of explaining... "develop your squeeze"

Some what Scientific way... "develop your core for clenching, build clench/tumbless grip, use/activate 'big' muscles when choking"

Selfcritical or someone else will have a better way of putting it

But ya know the real secret... the one the white belt reddit hipsters HATE.. mindful practice reps, reps, reps

Look, the RNC is my forte.

But, as far as Ive seen... the best RNC instructional, or at least on of the best is mickey triangles, is on youtube.

So many people just think you lock it and squeeze and people is going to sleep or tap out, well, not really.

Basically dont arch, arching is the last last last resort. you should concentrate in sucking up the space....

here...

here also, remember something, if you have the forarm under the chin, even sloppy technique works, the problem presents when the person hands fights or gets a chin in the middle, if your RNC is good enough, there aint no chin stopping you. ITs all about the squeeze, but not the strenght of the squeeze but the technique of the squeeze (whch mas the squeeze 10 times stronger)

Look, the RNC is my forte.

But, as far as Ive seen... the best RNC instructional, or at least on of the best is mickey triangles, is on youtube.

So many people just think you lock it and squeeze and people is going to sleep or tap out, well, not really.

Basically dont arch, arching is the last last last resort. you should concentrate in sucking up the space....

here...

here also, remember something, if you have the forarm under the chin, even sloppy technique works, the problem presents when the person hands fights or gets a chin in the middle, if your RNC is good enough, there aint no chin stopping you. ITs all about the squeeze, but not the strenght of the squeeze but the technique of the squeeze (whch mas the squeeze 10 times stronger)

Is that @Mikey Triangles ? Good stuff

I can't explain it, the choke is on, classic bicep grip and im squeezing but Im getting no tap?

Definitely watch the video that @BJJ_Rage posted.
DO NOT grip only to your bicep. If your grip is on your bicep that means that your elbows are probably too far apart and that you are leaving space. Get your elbows is close to each other as possible while you are doing a crunch and a shrug.

Same concept as with the triangle choke. A lot of people will put the arch of their foot under their knee. This creates too much space. It should be on the shin as much as possible.

I end up just gassing my arms
This should not be happening. Watch the video from 7:05 and do not squeeze with arms. Inhale and get shoulder blades together.

Here is a good breakdown of the mechanics that make all chokes work, including the RNC (but why not learn how to tighten up your lapel chokes and triangle chokes at the same time?)

Eddi Brah way of explaining... "develop your squeeze"

Some what Scientific way... "develop your core for clenching, build clench/tumbless grip, use/activate 'big' muscles when choking"

Selfcritical or someone else will have a better way of putting it

But ya know the real secret... the one the white belt reddit hipsters HATE.. mindful practice reps, reps, reps

oh god, what is reddit doing to BJJ?

You dont even need to queeze its not about strength or being strong .once the choke is on simply pull back with your rear delts imagine you want them to join together,this way your arms wont fatigue

Disclaimer: My handfighting from the back is weak, and i end up with poor connection, and thus poor chokes. From the back all my subs are armbars and ezekiels

Is now the best video ive seen on mechanics of the RNC.

its really a good vid, speially how he talks about getting the elbows together, people have a hard time understaning this concept... @Russky is spot on, more than elbows is the shoulder blades, those are generating the power.

You dont even need to queeze its not about strength or being strong .once the choke is on simply pull back with your rear delts imagine you want them to join together,this way your arms wont fatigue

I beg to disagree.

When you have it locked under the chin, sure, not much effort is needed.

When you have 2 hands defending the choke, and one is grabbing your wrist, pulling back with your lats wont be enough, at least if the person is one of those guys who are tough to put away... IF he has some of his chin down, that makes it more difficult, many people abandon the choke, braulios technique is awesome in that case, I personally choke thorugh the chin, its hard to explain, but basically trying to get your shoulder blades together, in a crunching motion, and at the last last very last sec a litte hooking motion...

Rafa Mendes teaches pushing the head down.

mmm... weird... Rafa is probably goat with marcelo, but the RNC isnt his signature move.

Pushing the head really does nothing imo, I rather take marcelos approach on this subject or tonons...

I beg to disagree.

When you have it locked under the chin, sure, not much effort is needed.

When you have 2 hands defending the choke, and one is grabbing your wrist, pulling back with your lats wont be enough, at least if the person is one of those guys who are tough to put away... IF he has some of his chin down, that makes it more difficult, many people abandon the choke, braulios technique is awesome in that case, I personally choke thorugh the chin, its hard to explain, but basically trying to get your shoulder blades together, in a crunching motion, and at the last last very last sec a litte hooking motion...
well we all have our own view point but every thing i learned about the RNC comes from Braulio he taught me how not to use my mass and strength because i am heavily muscled and weight 16.7 and tired easy during rolling he showed me that the techniques properly applied didn't require strength and sure enough i find it works great for me

mmm... weird... Rafa is probably goat with marcelo, but the RNC isnt his signature move.

Pushing the head really does nothing imo, I rather take marcelos approach on this subject or tonons...

Pushing the head down works just as in the triangle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back