Gettin' started on guitar

ChemistryFalcon

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just got my first guitar (a Washburn Cutaway Dreadnought, six string, hopefully said that right) but haven't had the guts to play and I have no idea where to start. I bought a Mel Bay book but it references piano keys a lot and I have no idea how those go.

Any musicians out there willing to help me out?

Last edited:
Get yourself a capo as quickly as possible. Don't worry about bar chords, just learn the basics. Apart from that YouTube will be your best friend. I wish we'd had YT when I was a kid. There's so much stuff on there that makes learning to play easier. These guys, Marty from guitar jamz and Privettricker are probably the best -

GuitarJamz -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgRMHrtQpnhKHdsGiFQRyQ

Privet -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrzxd25lZOcAOj-M2eHVqJQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA6bULZXVv6kC5J6vpGBdDQ

These guys are good too because they simplify a lot of stuff -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsNDmLyNAMhi_sL6JHQ6eKg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsNDmLyNAMhi_sL6JHQ6eKg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTczAeQtEqoSqOc5ouSqwQ

If you can afford a teacher it is super helpful in the very beginning. Like, just being taught how to hold the guitar and other proper fundamentals. I'm mostly self-taught and have a lot of bad habits - which i don't mind - but you might one day regret them depending on your goals as a guitarist.

My best advice if you want to ride this thing solo is to start by learning 5th chords, learn to read tablature, and start picking some simple sounding riffs to learn from songs you like.

Get a metronome or an app for your phone.

Also play with a clean sound at times just so you can hear mistakes better, Gain hides a lot of mistakes at times.

Number 1: Get yourself a teacher. Doesn't matter if he's amazing or anything, as long as he's been playing for several years, just someone to show you some chords and basic things like the pentatonic scale. If you can't find one in your city or town, there are guys who teach online.

2: Start picking out songs for yourself too learn once you do learn some basics. Nothing too hard, just basic stuff(I'm sure whatever guitar teacher you go with will help you out here, but they won't always show you songs you want to learn how to play, sometimes you need to learn these songs though if you want to improve your playing). Songs you enjoy, so you'll WANT to practice as much as you can. Playing any instrument needs to be about fun too, not just work, or else you won't want to play and you won't get anywhere or develop any kind of drive to get better.

3. Depending on how much time you have, try setting aside atleast half an hour to an hour everyday for practice. You might find yourself increase this overtime depending on how much you're enjoying it and that's great. The more you practice everyday the more progress you'll make.

That's about all I can think of atm.

Here's an online metronome/tuner:

https://www.metronomeonline.com/

This is good for keeping on tempo, very important if you ever want to learn how to play along with songs or with a band or anything.

Always start off at a slow tempo when you're learning something new, there's no point in trying to learn something fast right away, you'll only develop bad habits that way, which is something you don't want.

Don't pick up shitty You Tube habits.

Number 1: Get yourself a teacher. Doesn't matter if he's amazing or anything, as long as he's been playing for several years, just someone to show you some chords and basic things like the pentatonic scale. If you can't find one in your city or town, there are guys who teach online.

2: Start picking out songs for yourself too learn once you do learn some basics. Nothing too hard, just basic stuff(I'm sure whatever guitar teacher you go with will help you out here, but they won't always show you songs you want to learn how to play, sometimes you need to learn these songs though if you want to improve your playing). Songs you enjoy, so you'll WANT to practice as much as you can. Playing any instrument needs to be about fun too, not just work, or else you won't want to play and you won't get anywhere or develop any kind of drive to get better.

3. Depending on how much time you have, try setting aside atleast half an hour to an hour everyday for practice. You might find yourself increase this overtime depending on how much you're enjoying it and that's great. The more you practice everyday the more progress you'll make.

That's about all I can think of atm.

Thanks NoneShallPass, just curious, but would you recommend any songs to learn? I feel the ones I would pick (stuff by Buddy Guy, Jimmy Hendrix, The Animals) would be too advanced for me to learn with just the basics.

Thanks NoneShallPass, just curious, but would you recommend any songs to learn? I feel the ones I would pick (stuff by Buddy Guy, Jimmy Hendrix, The Animals) would be too advanced for me to learn with just the basics.
Alot of your usual classic rock songs.

That's what I cut my teeth on at first.

It's all about familiarizing yourself with the fret board, getting used too what the notes sound like on each string(you can recreate every note on each string depending on the number of frets you have, there can be up to 5 different octaves that are all the same note just at a different pitch, they all have their own subtle tone depending on the strings you use too. Like an E2 on the E string won't sound the exact same as an E2 on the A string, because the string isn't as thick)

Anyway, getting too the songs. You're probably going to hate this, but the first song I ever learned was:

The Smoke on the Water riff, very simple, good for beginners.

Tbh, you should really first learn a handful of chords and a basic scale or two before you even try learning any songs. It'll give you a foundation and then, once you get familiar with these chords, you'll be able to use them in songs.

I'm guessing you don't know how to read guitar tablature yet, so I'm not sure how to show you how to play the chords I'd recommend. But with these particular chords you'll be able to play ALOT of acoustic and classic rock songs.

G Major

G-Major-Chord.jpg

K, so each number represents a finger on your fretting hand(if you're a lefty that means your right hand, and vice versa if orthodox)

1 is your index finger, 2 is your middle finger, 3 is your ring finger and, 4 isn't present, but that would be your pinky. Start with this chord first by just using your index and middle finger as the third note might be a bit hard too do at first, but you'll get the hang of it. OH! and ofcourse, the rectangles of the diagram each represent a fret and the edges to the left and right of the rectangles represent a string. Like the top row of rectangles would be the very first fret, the note on the top string(we call it the low E, which will be explained later) on the very first fret is F but where you'll be placing your middle finger is called the G, which is the main note in the chord, hence why it's called a G chord. This note is played on the 3rd fret, so two frets(or a whole step) up from the first fret. What they don't show you is that when you strum the chord(which means to play all string in the chord simultaneously) is that the gaps in between the 1, 2 and 3 are all open notes, which are just strings played without using your fingers to fret them, so "open" in a sense that they aren't being held down by your fingers.

This should help explain, in case my wall of text is too much haha.

A Major

A-Major-Chord.jpg

Like I explained previously each number represents a finger on the fretting hand, each rectangle represent a fret and the sides left to right represent a string. With this chord you can play it one of to ways, but for now, just stick with whats show here. With this chord all of your finger will be on the same fret, fretting adjacent(right next too eachother) strings. These strings are the D, G and B strings. You'll be completely ignoring the low E string(the top and thickest string) with this chord and the A and "high e"(the string on the very bottom on the guitar and the thinnest) will be played openly.

There's also the C Major

c-major-chord01.gif

There's also D Major and minor, E Major and minor, and countless others. These and the ones I showed you are all open chords(they use open notes, which means any string plucked without the use of your fretting hand, as in you just use your picking hand to play the note, if that makes any sense).

There are also bar chords, power chords and various others that I'll have to show you another time.

For now, see if you can figure out what I've shown you, hope it helps.

I've never used Skype before, but if you can't find a teacher, I could see about setting up some Skype lessons where I can show you some more stuff and go more in depth.

Last edited:
Aside from what people already recommended. I'd suggest learning the chromatic scale... very simple scale where you basically play every note. Doesn't sound very good, but It helps a lot in getting good at fretting and picking. Play it very slow to start out and use all downstorkes . Go up the scale, then come back down. Once you get the hang of downstrokes use alternate picking (first note down stroke, 2nd note upstroak 3rd note down, etc). Once you get the hang of that speed it up.

Well, sure they'd be too much if you thought you could just play them note for note but you'd be surprised how simple most classic rock songs are when you strip them down to the basic chord progressions. You could certainly learn House of the Rising Sun, for example, with just a few weeks of practice. The whole song is like 4 or 5 chords.

Mel Bay's beginner books have tabs and are perfect for learning. It's how I started.

Get a teacher! I didn't for years, and when i finally did i wished i'd of done so at the start.

If I could go back in time and tell my young self something in regards to practicing guitar, it would be to git gud at alternate picking.

I started out playing Nirvana songs, which are pretty simple and are mostly comprised of powerchords. Powerchords are fundamental in rock and metal, so mastering those is a good place to start and will open up your song choice considerably.

One more piece of advice for you:

If any douchebag tells you you're shit at guitar(they will, I got plenty of it in my first year of playing) just tell them to go fuck themselves and use it as motivation/fuel to practice and get better and better, so that when you develop your chops they'll have to eat their words.

That was part of what fueled my desire at first, now I'd consider myself a pretty good lead player and no one can tell me I'm bad at guitar.

I started out playing Nirvana songs, which are pretty simple and are mostly comprised of powerchords. Powerchords are fundamental in rock and metal, so mastering those is a good place to start and will open up your song choice considerably.
Basically, yeah.

Power chords are the easiest chords to play, then you can move on to Bar chords, which are basically just a combination of power chords and traditional chords.

Get a chord app and it'll show you how to form chords and which fingers to put where .
Don't get discouraged . Everyone sucks at first . Just concentrate on playing each note so that it sounds true and rings clear .

Old thread, but I would suggest learning the chromatic scale and then learning how to figure out the note of any fret on the guitar. It helps a lot eventually. Learning chord spellings help too.

Back