geting used to adrenaline with grappling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by teamventure09, Jul 14, 2017.

1. teamventure09 Yellow Belt

teamventure09
    It seems that grappling is the safest way to get your body used to reacting in a composed manner under a high adrenaline situation.

Let's say for example it took someone three months to get used to operating with an adrenaline dump through grappling twice a week.

What about something like bouncing at a bar? Since less time is generally spent in fights at a bar would the learning to be composed in those situations take years while grappling would only take months?

How long did it take for you on the mat?

Any general thoughts or perspectives welcome.

2. biscuitsbrah Black Belt

biscuitsbrah
    Everyone is different. Bouncing at bar takes a completely different set of skills than bjj.

I dont think I even got any real surge of andrenaline doing bjj when I first started. Although it did help me use my grappling in my first street fight, I was far from completely composed.

The only way to get used to situations is to be in them.

3. Gl0kta White Belt

Gl0kta
    Adrenaline dumps tend to be specific to the situation, so just because your got to a point that your ok in say a grappling comp you can still get a massive dump elsewhere.

4. teamventure09 Yellow Belt

teamventure09
    good points.

5. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Adrenaline goes away after a while, once your body understands you are not in a fight va your class mate when rolling in the gym... It goes away. Now competing is a whole different thing.

6. zeli_papa Yellow Belt

zeli_papa
    I'll chime in as a bjj practioner (3 years) and former bouncer (8 years).

As stated by one of the posters it requires completely different skill set if you're working the door, I'd say it's more mental than anything else, of course the physical component is also important when shit hits the fan but you're mostly working with your brain and your balls in most of the situations.

After some time you get kind of used to the violence and threatening behaviour and you're much calmer in those situations which doesn't mean there's no adrenaline, you can just control it better and approach everything with a clearer head, be it drunk , aggressive female, 60kg student who thinks he's a tough guy or an all-out riot with chair and bottles flying by your head

If it comes to grappling I still have that adrenaline feeling when I come back after some time off, I believe it's an ego thing, I don't want to look bad in my own eyes or get tapped by someone who I usually destroy.

Now the competition is a completely different ball game (at least for me). I've only competed twice do far and both times it was completely nerve-wracking and quite unpleasant to be fair. It's really taken me by surprise as I've had plenty of street fights or altercations at work over the years and I was always nervous up to the point it was kicking off, then I was all business. First comp I could hear and see everything around me apart from my opponent, the second one it was much better but still not that great. People say that bjj competition is great for self-defence as you can find out how you'd react under pressure.... well I don't think that's particularly true, maybe mma is as there is a serious risk of taking damage just like in real fight.