Gervonta Davis vs Liam Walsh

cheese32165

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

This is going to be my first boxing event live. Got good tickets in a fairly small to mid size venue.

How good is this fight Boxing experts and who do you think is gonna win?

Mayweather seems really hyped about this Davis guy.

I dont know who this Liam Walsh guy is, but he doesnt appear to have fought anyone good.

Beating Pedraza > anybody Walsh beat.

I've never seen Walsh fight live. Just watching bits of his fight with Klimov, he appears to be a reasonably technically proficient southpaw. He hasn't really fought anyone all that close to the world level, but he's probably done enough to justify at step up to the world level and mandatory status.

As for Davis, he isn't some smoke and mirrors hype job. Pedraza is a decent fighter and much more proven than someone like Walsh and as soon as Davis really wanted to step it up and get him out of there, Davis did just that. Davis is probably worth the price of admission alone.

I've never seen Walsh fight live. Just watching bits of his fight with Klimov, he appears to be a reasonably technically proficient southpaw. He hasn't really fought anyone all that close to the world level, but he's probably done enough to justify at step up to the world level and mandatory status.

As for Davis, he isn't some smoke and mirrors hype job. Pedraza is a decent fighter and much more proven than someone like Walsh and as soon as Davis really wanted to step it up and get him out of there, Davis did just that. Davis is probably worth the price of admission alone.

My tickets were £55 each so I feel its money well spent.

They showed this On ESPN last night when they discussed Mayweather and his U.K tour.

I think Gervonta needs a certain style of fighter to look good. He doesn't really do a whole lot that convinces me, but I'll say "yet" because he is being brought along slowly. I think they are going to build him up as safely as he can, but I see a guy that sets up his shots being a day-ruiner for Davis. If he can't anticipate his guy, he can get outworked pretty easy.

How long do you have to wait for undercards to get announced for boxing shows?

This is probably the best fighters mayweather is managing so hes gonna give him sum big hype,that being said kid has got a lot of potential but his title win wasn't his best performance.

I hope they put Gervonta Davis in with Lomachenko. Would be a fun fight to see.

I think Gervonta needs a certain style of fighter to look good. He doesn't really do a whole lot that convinces me, but I'll say "yet" because he is being brought along slowly. I think they are going to build him up as safely as he can, but I see a guy that sets up his shots being a day-ruiner for Davis. If he can't anticipate his guy, he can get outworked pretty easy.

I'm not saying that Davis doesn't show some potential flaws, but how is he being brought along slowly? He's the youngest titlist in the sport.

I'm not saying that Davis doesn't show some potential flaws, but how is he being brought along slowly? He's the youngest titlist in the sport.

Of all the things I typed that prompted your response, that is the one statement I will admit to finding the most difficult to defend.

Everything else I stand by though.

Brought along slowly? Funny, when Gervonta was matched with Pedraza most people were saying he's being moved too quickly. Remember, Pedraza was a huge jump in quality for him, the fact that he dismantled him shouldn't overshadow that.

Brought along slowly? Funny, when Gervonta was matched with Pedraza most people were saying he's being moved too quickly. Remember, Pedraza was a huge jump in quality for him, the fact that he dismantled him shouldn't overshadow that.

^Ahem.

Please read the whole thread. Thank you. I already spoke regarding that.

Of all the things I typed that prompted your response, that is the one statement I will admit to finding the most difficult to defend.

Everything else I stand by though.

I could see Davis having some issues, especially against someone who is able to move and not let him set his feet. We'll see how he progresses as he ages.

I hope they put Gervonta Davis in with Lomachenko. Would be a fun fight to see.

Floyd said no to this the very next business day after Davis won the IBF title. He mentioned Lomachenko specifically and said that he wasn't going to rush him into unification fights. Davis is too young and still developing. This Walsh fight is decent and he can fight a guy like Tevin Farmer after, somebody like that, then think about another titleholder down the line. Fighting the #1 ranked fighter in the division and a P4P player in his prime like Lomachenko is too risky at this stage. Not to mention Loma is with Arum, someone he'd rather not do business with in the first place and vice versa.

Last edited:
Floyd said no to this the very next business day after Davis won the IBF title. He mentioned Lomachenko specifically and said that he wasn't going to rush him into unification fights. Davis is too young and still developing. This Walsh fight is decent and he can fight a guy like Tevin Farmer after, somebody like that, then think about another titleholder down the line. Fighting the #1 ranked fighter in the division and a P4P player in his prime like Lomachenko is too risky at this stage. Not to mention Loma is with Arum, someone he'd rather not do business with in the first place and vice versa.

Yes Mr Davis is still marinating, i need him at his best before The Slavic juices can tenderize the flesh for us to masticate. This Walsh doesn't seem to possess enough flavor for me to want to taste...

I would rather put him in with Cherry before Farmer. Literally in that order after Walsh. Although, Farmer may be a good match for Davis, given the types of fighters he normally spars against.

I would rather put him in with Cherry before Farmer. Literally in that order after Walsh. Although, Farmer may be a good match for Davis, given the types of fighters he normally spars against.

He could do that. Cherry has a fight scheduled for April 4th against Omar Douglas. If he beats him then that would be a decent fight. Farmer is definitely better than the rankings suggest, has a relatively known name now, has very good defense and a very low KO percentage. He'd be a relatively safe fight to take to test Davis imo, especially since he's been knocked out before early on in his career. Farmer has sparred with the best as you know, Lomachenko namely, which we've talked about before. So, that fight could be very interesting. Farmer's defense and boxing skill vs Davis' boxing skill and big power.

Davis is in a pretty stacked division when you look at the top 10, top 15. Walsh then Cherry and Farmer would be a good start as a new titlist that's still developing. He's so young still that he could've been fighting for a lesser title, such as a youth world title, which you can be up to 22 years and 11 months old to hold. Pedraza was a pretty big step up in competition for him so this Walsh fight is fine by me for his first title defense.

Back