Germany Acts to Tame Facebook, Learning From Its Own History of Hate

I've lived in countries without freedom of speech and it's really not a big deal. Relax, lol.

How do you know you live in the greatest country if you haven't lived in any others? That's like saying your mom is the best chef in the world when you've never eaten someone else's cooking.

I've visited other countries and I've met many people from other countries. Plus I read a lot about other countries.

Additional there is a utilitarian argument for free speech. It is the only way that bad ideas can be confronted.
If the government say the milk is bad for you the only way to show people it is not is if you have free speech otherwise the government can target you for violating party doctrine.

I've visited other countries and I've met many people from other countries. Plus I read a lot about other countries.

And out of all the countries that have ever existed in the history of the planet, you just happened to be born in the greatest one? Such luck.

I know people in many countries who consider their country to be the greatest one. They're all wrong. Just say America is your favorite country. No need for all the drama.

Not many societies have freedom of speech.
American exceptionalism FTW.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Instead of assuming that the country that had one of the most infamous and destructive rhetoricians of all time rise to power may have learned a thing or two from their experience, let's just assume they're idiots herp derp 1st amendment lol.

American arrogance knows no limits. Even if they are overreacting, preventing the rise of another Hitler seems like fairgrounds for overreation. When a 17 year old college student says she hates free speech, people call for the dissolution of the institution of higher education. But a country takes measures to prevent genocide and international war and they're the ones overreacting.

You are an idiot and a walking vagina.

You choose to see this as "a country takes measures to prevent genocide and international war"..?

How, you fool? How?

You are an idiot and a walking vagina.

You choose to see this as "a country takes measures to prevent genocide and international war"..?

How, you fool? How?

You don't think public speech played any role in facilitating the Holocaust?

No, it doesn't. But the alternative--where whoever has the best, most compelling words gets to control all the guns--can also be a fucking nightmare. Hence why these things have to be continuously reexamined and improved upon.

And now you see why the Second Ammendment, is the Second Ammendment.

It's almost like some of the greatest minds ever in history knew what they were doing when they wrote the Constitution of the US.

It's almost like some of the greatest minds ever in history knew what they were doing when they wrote the Constitution of the US.

Yeah, agreed, but we're talking about Germany.

The Bill of Rights is truly one of the wonders of the world.

You don't think public speech played any role in facilitating the Holocaust?

I think people being unable to voice their dissent against the rise and reign of Hitler was a much, much, much larger issue. You are blind and quite frankly, not very bright if you can't see otherwise.

You know when Hitler started killing everyone who was opposed to him or who dared speak or print against him? That sort of thing does not happen when you have Free Speech.

Yeah, agreed, but we're talking about Germany.

We are talking about Free Speech and why it is the foremost of all human rights.

And part of securing that right is ensuring that people can defend themselves.

You are really striking out on all fronts here buddy.

Last edited:
We are talking about Free Speech and why it is the foremost of all human rights.

And part of securing that right is ensuring that people can defend themselves.

You are really striking out on all fronts here buddy.

Germany doesn't have freedom of speech and they don't have the American second amendment. Hence, their response.

I think people being unable to voice their dissent against the rise and reign of Hitler was a much, much, much larger issue. You are blind and quite frankly, not very bright if you can't see otherwise.

You know when Hitler started killing everyone who was opposed to him or who dared speak or print against him? That sort of thing does not happen when you have Free Speech.

Lol...so if Germany had Free Speech, Hitler wouldn't have killed people who opposed him or dared to speak against him?

Here, I'll give you a scenario. Your mission is to kill Joe. However, you cannot actual kill him personally, nor hire a hitman. Instead, you have to convince someone else to kill him, but you can't outright say "go kill Joe." And there's no time limit. If it takes 35 years, it takes 35 years.

Are you telling me that you couldn't do that? What if you have thousands of people that basically worshiped you? Or a Twitter platform of several million people? I think any adult of above average intelligence and/or charisma could figure out how to get that done simply through slurs, jokes, and criticism.

I'm all for free speech. I love it. But I think the people in this thread have been acting as if it doesn't also present an enormous problem to the stability and safety of some countries.
I, uh Uhh hmm...

I absolutely do not believe i could convince my twitter followers to kill someone...with a time limit or not

Lol...so if Germany had Free Speech, Hitler wouldn't have killed people who opposed him or dared to speak against him?

If Freedom of Speech were a protected right in pre WW2 Germany it would have been much more difficult for Hitler to rise into power and much more easy for him and the Nazi party to be delegitimized and ran out of power. Yes. Its actually a very simple principle. When you can't kill or detain the opposition for their thoughts and words, the have the ability to oppose you.

Instead of assuming that the country that had one of the most infamous and destructive rhetoricians of all time rise to power may have learned a thing or two from their experience, let's just assume they're idiots herp derp 1st amendment lol.

American arrogance knows no limits. Even if they are overreacting, preventing the rise of another Hitler seems like fairgrounds for overreation. When a 17 year old college student says she hates free speech, people call for the dissolution of the institution of higher education. But a country takes measures to prevent genocide and international war and they're the ones overreacting.

This subforum is filled with scared people. Dont matter they wont change anything

This feels like a step towards totalitarian government and oppression, not a step away from it. Punishing and silencing dissenting thought is great when the good guys are in charge, but how long does that stay true?

So the same people that burned books are now going to prevent you from reading 'bad think'

It is a modern day version of burning books. Congratulations Germany

The best part....how some in here defend it. amazing

The thing about this is....25 years from now ideologies change.
you better hope the people in charge at that time still have the same ideology as you.

Back